Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: CAT 3116 Inline 6 6 Liter
Rated Cap: 71
Newbie to this Skoolie thing

Hello,
This may be a redundant post since I already posted my introduction once but can't seem to find it now for some reason which is why I am posting a second time. So please forgive me if you have already read another intro by me.

Anyway, I am here to learn and share my skoolie story with all of you. My husband and I have always dreamed of traveling the country, we have only seen bit and pieces so far. After much discussion, we decided a school bus would be the vessel for us to do so. We found our dream bus a matter of weeks after deciding that a bus would be the perfect mobile home for us and our family.

After talking to the owner, we found out that the bus had already been gutted, with electrical installed and the exterior repainted. The title is also converted to RV status or mobile home status. We took her for a test drive, which was quite the experience for me! We fell in love instantly and decided she was perfect for us. We named her gypsy to reflect our wandering souls and we cannot wait to start working on her! My husband has been working in construction and remodeling most of his life which is a big help. While I know absolutely nothing about any of that or mechanics I will do my best to help him.

We are making payments on her currently and expect to be paid up by the end of October which is when we will begin to make her livable and ready to hit the road by December before the snow hits. We will be making our way down to Phoenix and will continue to work on her there till she is complete. From there who knows what will be next! We are eager to begin not only our journey, but our new life since she will be our home.
We are going all the way with this. Selling all of our worldly possessions and minimizing as much as possible to give our family a wealth of experiences and memories. The freedom and possibilities are endless!

I'm excited to learn all I can and to share our story along the way.

Green Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Welcome aboard, Green Gypsy!
TipsVinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Cool, we are in about the same boat. We are starting with a bus from a school though.

Also selling off what we don't want to put in the bus and avoiding Wisconsin winter's

Where about Wisconsin are you guys?
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Welcome aboard. Your post count only shows the one, are you sure the other intro was here? Under another name maybe?
So tell us about the bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Cool, we are in about the same boat. We are starting with a bus from a school though.

Also selling off what we don't want to put in the bus and avoiding Wisconsin winter's

Where about Wisconsin are you guys?
Hello!
We are located in central Wisconsin. Kinda between Wisconsin Rapids and Stevens Point, about 45 or so miles south of Wausau. The winters here are brutal, I can't imagine spending any time after January on a bus. It is a little scary to sell everything you have built so many years to acquire but after all, they are merely things. I wan't to teach our children that life isn't about what the material objects you possess. It's so much more than that.
I am interested in seeing your progress on your bus. Were you planning on hitting the road this fall?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsVinny View Post
Welcome aboard, Green Gypsy!
Thank you! Very excited to be here!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Welcome to the madness!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Welcome aboard. Your post count only shows the one, are you sure the other intro was here? Under another name maybe?
So tell us about the bus.
Well, I just had some technical issues but got over it and posted again, no biggie

Our bus, well I don't know technical specifics about it really. All I know is its a 1997 Bluebird with a CAT engine, not sure how big yet. My husband knows about that stuff. It is a doolley, don't know if I spelled that right. It's just under 40 feet long, not sure how many passengers though. The guy we are buying it from gutted it and built bunks all throughout the back half and used it kinda as a weekend party bus for him and his buddies to go down to Nascar races with. He built a patio, deck if you will on top. I really like the paint job he did on it and since its already wired for electricity, there's one less thing we have to do. I can't wait to start working on it, we are in the process of drawing up the floor plan right now. My husband built a counter for it out of reclaimed barn wood, we are going to utilize re-purposed materials as much as possible.

There is obviously a lot to do in a short amount of time so we are going to go bare bones, just plumbing, bedding and necessities until we have made our way down to Phoenix and settle in. My husband's father lives down there and owns a construction company so he is likely to help us along with our project.

Wish I had more specifics about the bus, I will definitely post more along the way when I discover more!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
Welcome to the madness!
Thanks! Looks like a fun bit of madness!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Gypsy View Post
Hello!
We are located in central Wisconsin. Kinda between Wisconsin Rapids and Stevens Point, about 45 or so miles south of Wausau. The winters here are brutal, I can't imagine spending any time after January on a bus. It is a little scary to sell everything you have built so many years to acquire but after all, they are merely things. I wan't to teach our children that life isn't about what the material objects you possess. It's so much more than that.
I am interested in seeing your progress on your bus. Were you planning on hitting the road this fall?
We are 45 min south of Green Bay.

We are planning to be gone next fall, don't really want to rush our new home. I have a shop and tools and friends to help here. Having help out of state somewhere warm like you guys we be outta here sooner too
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote