Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted@campbycanoe.com View Post
Ditto!

Get an adapter that can hold sockets too. You can save a ton of time instead of using a ratchet. You won't always hve all the power that you need but you can use a breaker bar to get it started then spin it off fast with the impact driver.
Sorry, this is embarrassing- but you mean an adapter for the impact driver, yes?

Scolleenkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I bought one of my all-time favorite pieces of PPE this summer. Should have bought this a long time ago. It's the 3M 6800 series full-face respirator. Costs just under US$100 for the mask.

There are a wide array of filter cartridges offered for it. By combining filter adapter 603 with filter retainer 501 you can use P95 filter pads that (when I bought them this summer) cost about US$3 per pair. The filter pads can also be used in front of cartridges like 6001PB1 (organic vapor) when spraying paint.

The thing I really love about it is that there are face shield covers (model 6885) available too! The covers come in a pack of 25 for about US$25. They're nice when spraying paint, media blasting, etc.

Good grief. I sound like I'm being paid for an advertisement-testimonial. Not so -- I'm just really pleased with this respirator platform.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolleenkendrick View Post
Sorry, this is embarrassing- but you mean an adapter for the impact driver, yes?
The adaptor could be used in the impact or the drill.
Attached Thumbnails
81xeVxmtBIL._SL1500_.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 466DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The adaptor could be used in the impact or the drill.
Exactly! Thanks for clarifying!
ted@campbycanoe.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted@campbycanoe.com View Post
Exactly! Thanks for clarifying!
Got it. Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I bought one of my all-time favorite pieces of PPE this summer. Should have bought this a long time ago. It's the 3M 6800 series full-face respirator. Costs just under US$100 for the mask.

There are a wide array of filter cartridges offered for it. By combining filter adapter 603 with filter retainer 501 you can use P95 filter pads that (when I bought them this summer) cost about US$3 per pair. The filter pads can also be used in front of cartridges like 6001PB1 (organic vapor) when spraying paint.

The thing I really love about it is that there are face shield covers (model 6885) available too! The covers come in a pack of 25 for about US$25. They're nice when spraying paint, media blasting, etc.

Good grief. I sound like I'm being paid for an advertisement-testimonial. Not so -- I'm just really pleased with this respirator platform.
You totally sound like an advertisement! Hahaha. But that’s helpful because I know exactly what you’re taking about instead of trying to find a tool dictionary or translator!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Bunch of blame safety sallys up in here LOL.

Welcome to he forum and the fun.
If you don't have any tools then well there isn't going to be much not to buy... I know you want to surprise him but it's best to just talk to him about it IF you really want to get him what he wants/needs, otherwise the toss the dice and see what happens, maybe he will like it and maybe not....
Harbor Frieght has some good stuff and some not so good stuff, I'd stay away from their cordless tools, I've had good success with alot of their air powered tools, not so much with their corded tools though.
I melted the alum with their chicago brand saw using it to cut metal, never done that with the same priced Ryobi saw... Personally I really like the cheap flavor of ryobi tools I've abused the crap out of many of them, let em sit out in the snow and used em when wet till they couldn't take it anymore and they are pretty tough in my books, of course dwalt it dandy but more pricey than what I'd pay for a power tool I am sure to torture.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
As I read what people have recommended, one thing sticks out and that is personal preference for tools. My wife does not buy me tools unless she knows exactly what I want. We have our own business together and she works in the shop with me, even so she knows it is best to only buy if she has talked to me to be sure of what I want. I do the same for her as well.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You probably missed some great opportunities last week for Black Friday deals. I bought nothing but tools.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Bunch of blame safety sallys up in here LOL.

Welcome to he forum and the fun.
If you don't have any tools then well there isn't going to be much not to buy... I know you want to surprise him but it's best to just talk to him about it IF you really want to get him what he wants/needs, otherwise the toss the dice and see what happens, maybe he will like it and maybe not....
Harbor Frieght has some good stuff and some not so good stuff, I'd stay away from their cordless tools, I've had good success with alot of their air powered tools, not so much with their corded tools though.
I melted the alum with their chicago brand saw using it to cut metal, never done that with the same priced Ryobi saw... Personally I really like the cheap flavor of ryobi tools I've abused the crap out of many of them, let em sit out in the snow and used em when wet till they couldn't take it anymore and they are pretty tough in my books, of course dwalt it dandy but more pricey than what I'd pay for a power tool I am sure to torture.
Thanks! Excited to be here. He’s got a lot of tools. I just figured that the whole conversion process might include the need for things we don’t have around, and that he’s more likely to do something the hard way that takes a million times longer than he is to purchase something new. I think I’ve got some some good ideas, and gonna stick with brands and types he already uses
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
As I read what people have recommended, one thing sticks out and that is personal preference for tools. My wife does not buy me tools unless she knows exactly what I want. We have our own business together and she works in the shop with me, even so she knows it is best to only buy if she has talked to me to be sure of what I want. I do the same for her as well.
I totally get that! I also know if I ask him what he needs his frugality will win the day and he’ll not really ask for things that would make the work easier/faster. After searching through his stuff, I do think I’ll stick to the brands and sets he already has, and just fill in some gaps with things that Skoolie folks say has made the work easier. Oh and safety stuffs since that seems to be a strong theme
Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolleenkendrick View Post
I totally get that! I also know if I ask him what he needs his frugality will win the day and he’ll not really ask for things that would make the work easier/faster. After searching through his stuff, I do think I’ll stick to the brands and sets he already has, and just fill in some gaps with things that Skoolie folks say has made the work easier. Oh and safety stuffs since that seems to be a strong theme
My frugality can win too, sounds a lot like me. However I do listen to my wife when she says we should just get the tool we need if I have tried every other way and still no success. So I do listen to reason at times.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
My frugality can win too, sounds a lot like me. However I do listen to my wife when she says we should just get the tool we need if I have tried every other way and still no success. So I do listen to reason at times.
Ha! Well he’s not likely to listen- hence: Christmas 😂
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Harbor Freight has some good tools (and lots of cheap crap, of course) and is worth a trip once in a while. Probably the most useful tool I have bought yet is their $30 electric shears, which can easily cut at least 14ga sheet metal. I still haven't worn it out in almost a year, and you can buy replacement jaws for it for $20. It's even useful for demolition work on your bus.

They also have a lot of cheap filler stuff that can save you money because of how it's packaged. I've done a lot of Bondo work on my bus and I go through the little plastic filler spreaders like crazy. The big box stores all sell these combo spreader packs with three different sizes (two of which you never need) for $5 and Harbor Freight sells a pack of 20 of the right size for $4. Gloves, dust masks etc. are very cheap there.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Clothes that can get SUPER dirty, cleaned as much as possible, and thrown away when they can’t be cleaned up any more! If you have A/C units that you plan on removing? A good pair of wire cutters for all the zip ties, a good flashlight, and a good ground cloth. That should be a good place to start.
rjheaton@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I agree with JDSquared about needing an angle grinder, drill, impact gun. I doNot think you need a cutoff wheel. You can make do with a circular saw. When you don’t have any tools you’ll want to figure out ways of making them multitask. For instance the circular saw can cut wood and with a metal cutting wheel it can cut sheet metal and shapes.

You’ll also want to figure out what tools can be the cheap ones and What to buy quality. I’d say doNot skimp on the cordless drill or impact gun. And when you buy these you are investing in a system because the chargers aren’t cheap and you want to interchange batteries. My choice is Milwaukee. The are leading the industry. Next is Dewalt and Makita. For corded hand tools like that circular saw you can often go cheap. I have a Ryobi that I originally got to cut a cast iron sink out of a tile counter. I ran it continuously for an hour and was so hot it couldn’t be handled without gloves and it still works great.

And don’t forget about borrowing tools. Especially the specialized ones you’ll only use once or twice . Just return them when you’re done

You just had to do it, start the old "whats the best tool" arguement. Since when is Milwaukee leading the industry. I worked alongside roughly 2500 workers in the convention industry for 17 years, who had to supply their own battery operated tools (they used them day in and day out) and Milwaukee is seldom seen and never even gets mentioned in the "who makes the best 18 volt tool' arguments. Before that I worked construction for about 40 years. The only tool that Milwaukee makes that I would buy is the corded Sawzall. Period. Had too many of them burn out on me. Course, the best tool is the one you have access to.

DeWalt is favored by the buy American crowd and are good tools. Ryobi is good value, most bang for the buck. Makita is my favorite (lighter, better balanced, easier to use all day, long lasting - never wore one out, they get stole first) and the one I am currently vested in. I have been vested in Black & Decker, Ryobi, and DeWalt before, and in that order. Chose brands carefully because the batteries are a huge cost and are not interchangeable between brands. 12 volt doesn't have the power, 18 volt is the standard and what I would recommend. 20 volt is new and I have no experience with. Brushless motors are better, but not mandatory for a good tool. The motors and batteries have improved so much that I would ignore older, used, stuff unless they are free. Absolutely no nicad or nmh batteries, lithium only. If you are buying a circular saw you need one that runs around 5000 rpm to achieve results similar to corded saws (unless you need a smaller/specialty saw).

To address the OP ....A 18 volt battery operated drill and .25 inch hex shaft impact driver combo plus a 4.5 inch, 110/125 volt, corded angle grinder (do not buy a 4 inch, the blades wear out too fast) is indispensable for metal work and because they all have so many attachments available they can be used with virtually any stiff material, no fabrics. Other than that I would just buy them as I needed them, he probably already has most of the hand tools. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't open the boxes and save the receipts.

A grinder can be especially dangerous because it operates around 11,000 rpm. and you must only use attachments that are rated for the speed of the tool or higher. Cut off wheels in particular can explode if you bind them (I've wore out hundreds of them. Had them chip, but not explode, but I am very careful and scared shitless of them). Wear a safety glass/shield. Do not wear long/loose sleeves/clothing/jewelry/ hair around any rotating tool, horrendous things can happen....very quickly.

A circular saw can cut sheetmetal, but is heavy and cumbrtsome. The easiest and cheapest way (used to be the only way) is to take an used/wornout/new old style regular cheap wood blade (Do not use a carbide tipped blade, the carbide comes loose and can ruin your day) and put it in the saw backwards, it burns thru the sheetmetal fast and easy but can leave a razor sharp bur that may need to be broke off or hit with a file/grinder. I have made thousands of feet of cuts this way and it is my preferred way to cut stuff like metal roofing/siding panels, gutters, downspouts, etc. Specialty blades and abrasive blades also work.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Going back to Brokedown's comment "I can say I would much rather have a christmas present that wasn't a surprise than a christmas present that sucks...", my spouse and I decided that the best way to handle Christmas presents was to give each other the thing we wanted for ourselves. This year I received a new clothes dryer--it arrived early.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Going back to Brokedown's comment "I can say I would much rather have a christmas present that wasn't a surprise than a christmas present that sucks...", my spouse and I decided that the best way to handle Christmas presents was to give each other the thing we wanted for ourselves. This year I received a new clothes dryer--it arrived early.
Jack
Yep- Roxy and I get ourselves Celtic TV subscription for xmas. We may splurge this year and also get a new drain pump motor for our washing machine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I got myself a new laptop for Christmas. Hillary gets nothing!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Bet you're wrong about that.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote