Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2022, 11:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie Toter home.... eventually

Hello there. Been lurking here a while and just wanted to put myself out there finally. Picked up a 1993 thats already shortened to 4 window with a ~21' flat bed. Overall goal is to create a toter home. Was told the bus had a 466, turns out to be the 360, not too upset as its a swap potential later if I find a 466. Looking into going from the AT545 to a MT643. Other than that, I really wanted to reach out here for some random updates and maintenance.

To start, drove the bus home and it was 10 degrees out, the bottom of the folding door is rotted out, need to patch that or if anyone has doors in the indiana area id be interested in purchasing. For the rear wall, instead of moving the back of the bus forward, the guy just built it from plate steel, I may swap that for standard rear stuff. Need to clean up the non prepped paint and repaint.

The bus fills my goal of an all mechanical diesel in the even I need to make my own fuel, and was by far cheaper than first gen cummins or any cummins swaps, military trucks, etc.

IndianaSchoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome, there are a handful of us from Indiana and Ohio on here. I'm right on the state line between the two.

Most people ditch the bifold door for something else, often times a used unit from a camper/rv. The stock doors didn't seal all that well when in good shape, and now they are commonly rusted/warped from being 20+ years old. I wouldn't worry too much on the 466 vs 360 part. 360 is a pretty potent engine in it's own right.

Post some pics of it if you have them.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I was going to post pics but haven’t used photo bucket in 10 years so I gotta figure that out
Old 03-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the 360 can be built up for some decent horsepower 300-400 fairly easy.
the transmission would have to be upgraded even if a 643.
keep us up to date if you decide to go that direction.
i am helping my son upgrade a 360 out of a bus now to around 350 HP.
he already has a rebuilt upgraded transmission and his head is at the machine shop now.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I'd avoid photobucket.

In the 10 years you've been away, the free part is no longer free, photobuckets is nothing more then an advertisement swamp, and to share those pictures on a forum I believe you need a subscription. For the dozen or so photos that I have, I use skoolie.net as my host. On a desktop you can see it at the top of the page by clicking the "photos" button and then create your own album.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Where in indiana
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'd avoid photobucket.

In the 10 years you've been away, the free part is no longer free, photobuckets is nothing more then an advertisement swamp, and to share those pictures on a forum I believe you need a subscription. For the dozen or so photos that I have, I use skoolie.net as my host. On a desktop you can see it at the top of the page by clicking the "photos" button and then create your own album.

they banned photobucket here a few years ago... thats why my 'DEV RANDOM' thread got dessimated because the skollie dot net gods actually deleted all of my posts that had photobucket links in them instead of letting me just have a paid subscription to photobucket.. hemce why most of my original A/C install got lost..

to the OP. I have a 360 in one of my busses and love it.. that motor is a trooper.. its not fast but it goes anywhere i want it to.. and has given me zero issues in many miles.. I ditched the AT545 a couple years ago and swapped in an MT643, that was a very good upgrade.. love the 643.. still keeps it all mechanical and gives you lockup plus a much beefier transmission if you decide to turn up the engine or do any towing.

cold weather can be a bit of an issue since theres no glow plugs.. if you arent parked where it can be plugged in, or have a webasto coolant heater.. I was able to start mine (Barely) down to -10f. at 0f it started but was still a little fussy.. above 5f and it starts easy..

with my webasto coolant heater it started at -20f like it was summer...
it also starts like summer if you have the block heater plugged in.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
There are a handful of us around the Evansville area, not necessarily in the board though. There’s a skoolie meetup group that gets together a couple times a year, usually in the Peru area.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
There are a handful of us around the Evansville area, not necessarily in the board though. There’s a skoolie meetup group that gets together a couple times a year, usually in the Peru area.

I always forget you are down there.. and i go to visit my buddy in dale / santa claus periodically.. (he cruises his 2 busses around that area)..

I wouldve been down there this weekend had it not been snow and ice up here.. he is working on a party-bus buildout.. I need ot scope his bus for adding AirCon to it
Old 03-12-2022, 04:40 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I always forget you are down there.. and i go to visit my buddy in dale / santa claus periodically.. (he cruises his 2 busses around that area)..

I wouldve been down there this weekend had it not been snow and ice up here.. he is working on a party-bus buildout.. I need ot scope his bus for adding AirCon to it
Totally forgivable! I have not been on the board much, still deep into our build whenever there’s a few spare hours in the day. I guess I need to update my build page!

BTW there’s some really nice kayaking in Lynnville, not too far from Dale.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:19 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Where in indiana
Close to greenwood
Old 03-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'd avoid photobucket.

I’ve got to find my laptop, I’ll get some pics up
Old 03-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
they banned photobucket here a few years ago... thats why my 'DEV RANDOM' thread got dessimated because the skollie dot net gods actually deleted all of my posts that had photobucket links in them instead of letting me just have a paid subscription to photobucket.. hemce why most of my original A/C install got lost..
Bummer they did that to you. I'm amazed that they thought that was the proper way to fix it. I mean, if you were no longer an active member, then sure. But I'd have unlocked editing privileges and let you redo the pictures. To outright delete stuff is wrong.

Even after the switch, It didn't take long for a plethora of developers to make browser extensions that fixed the issue. I installed one and most of the pics that were lost, came back and displayed normally.

That didn't change anything for me though, I always thought photobucket was heavy on the ads to begin with. So when they took the step to charge I simply went elsewhere. I didn't have much on there to begin with, so the change wasn't difficult. If you've got GB of pics, I could see how that might be an issue.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:25 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Bummer they did that to you. I'm amazed that they thought that was the proper way to fix it. I mean, if you were no longer an active member, then sure. But I'd have unlocked editing privileges and let you redo the pictures. To outright delete stuff is wrong.

Even after the switch, It didn't take long for a plethora of developers to make browser extensions that fixed the issue. I installed one and most of the pics that were lost, came back and displayed normally.

That didn't change anything for me though, I always thought photobucket was heavy on the ads to begin with. So when they took the step to charge I simply went elsewhere. I didn't have much on there to begin with, so the change wasn't difficult. If you've got GB of pics, I could see how that might be an issue.

their thought was because PB started charging that there would be threads with lots of broken links.. Personally? from a design perspective of someone who designs, builds, and maintains web sites and softwares? they likely were getting banged for the bandwidth the 3rd party links used.. since they run cloudflare the data more than likely goes through their servers first and then to your browser.. so its a double whammy for bandwidth.. the pic would get DL'd from PB to their server and then DL'd from their server to your browser.. 3rd party links arent supposed to work like that however they do when you have a "scrubber" service...

storage is cheap so now everyone just Uploads pics directly to the forum.. when someone reads a thread its only the bandwidth from their server to your browser.. no longer the double whammy..

the Skoolie Gods will have a different explanation im sure...

anyway these days i just upload my pics to the forum directly..
Old 03-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: NB18FD Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
All right talk to me. I live in Peru and never heard of a meeting around here.

PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...cture27780.jpg
Old 03-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Somewhereinusa is a member here from indiana, has probably one of the best skoolies on the site, and he's hosted several rallies. Not sure if that's the peru rally being discussed or not. He just posted a month ago about another rally this coming fall near southbend.

Nice bus. I like how much they shortened it, but I would have put a little more effort into the back wall. It's not as bad as the one I saw last year, though. That guy used cut down garage door panels, held to the bus body with drywall screws......
Old 03-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Somewhereinusa is a member here from indiana, has probably one of the best skoolies on the site, and he's hosted several rallies. Not sure if that's the peru rally being discussed or not. He just posted a month ago about another rally this coming fall near southbend.

Nice bus. I like how much they shortened it, but I would have put a little more effort into the back wall. It's not as bad as the one I saw last year, though. That guy used cut down garage door panels, held to the bus body with drywall screws......
I’d like to change back wall, but it’s 1/8” plate and seam welded around entire perimeter. The 4 windows are cool but no room for shower or toilet. Thinking about adding heater and shower head outside on back wall, maybe compost toilet stored somewhere.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:49 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Ordered an mt643 from lkq today. But the flywheel Cadillac kid says I need is $350, does anyone know where I can get one cheaper?
Old 04-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Perhaps talking to myself here, but I'll post anyway. Just came across a forum discussing allison 1000/2000/2400 swap stating those will bolt right to the at545 bellhousing etc. If found with factory ecm etc it just needs TPS reading from the engine.... SO should I continue down the mt643 route or look for a 2000?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...lisons-266786/