Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #1

Newbie with a Potential Skoolie Build

I’m BRAND new to the Skoolie world, but after a wild idea and some research, I stumbled on this awesome community!

I’m thinking a Skoolie build is right for my situation, but I’d like opinions!

I’m John, 27, and single. I have a regular day job during the week, and I race cars on the weekends. Right now I’m bogged down with an apartment I can’t afford and living out of my SUV during race weekends. I’d LOVE to be able to ditch my rent payment, build a suitable bus for full-time use, that would also be able to haul my race car behind it during race weekends (car and open trailer weigh just under 6,000lbs, rounding up). Which engine/trans combos tend to be the most powerful and most reliable?

From the research I’ve done so far, it seems that with light to normal water usage, it’s not unheard of to be able to live “unplugged” for 2 weeks+... and a generator and/or solar is sufficient for electrical power... but what about heat? Here in KC, it’s 11 degrees tonight, and I’m wondering how realistic it’d be to keep a bus heated during such cold. I would need it to be self-sustaining so my cat can stay warm while I’m at work during the day? What types of heaters should I look into?

Also: height. I’m 6’0” tall... and I plan on insulating the crap out of the bus for efficiency.. should I be concerned with roof height? Which busses tend to have the tallest roofs?

In terms of buses, I’m not AS familiar with them specifically, but I’m pretty mechanically inclined... I do look forward to reading more about which makes/models/engines you all have and what you like. Thank you in advance!

Bornfromjets03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International amtran
Hello from another newbie, south east mo but building bus in fl then moving there full time .
Keep searching the forum you will find answers to just about anything and opinions for everything .
Good luck
Littlewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy John...and Welcome! --- Sounds like a plan. And a familiar one. There are several "Toy Haulers" built here or in progress. I would suggest you dig through the threads and read them before diving in just to get the broad view.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #4

Great! I will! I plan on learning all I can before actually making any moves.