Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Newb's first post. I found a bus I'm interested in..

(thought I posted this yesterday- but i can't find it now, guess I'll try again)

Hey gang,
I've been researching skoolies for over a year and actively looking for a bus to convert the last couple months, I have yet to find anything that I'm hot on, BUT yesterday I came across one that seems to fit my parameters AND it's in my local area. I'm in contact with the owner, I have the money to drop and I'm going to look at it tomorrow!
Here she is.
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/rv...615968688.html
He told me he's lowered the price to $8500 after having it up on CL all month.
It's 28' long.
I asked what Allison transmission, was told "Not sure about the allison tranny. Its a 4 speed. I like the way it shifts. It auto downshifts when your slow down"
Asked why selling? - "I'm just not going to have the time for it. At least this year. Im chewing my nails about getting rid of it, especially since its a such reliable base for a project."

That's about what I know currently.

I'd appreciate any advice/ thoughts you guys/gals have, things I should look for.
Big thanks to this community and resource, I hope to be joining this tribe tomorrow!
nova~

NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Crazy high price. Especially for unknown trans. Most likely an AT545 which many try to avoid. Not horrible but also not desirable.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
OK, here's the deal.

The short transit style buses are popular. They're as close as you get to a bus being a chick magnet. They do often go for more than you'd expect, defying logic, because people see them and think they're less threatening. It's like your daughter bringing her new boyfriend home and he shows up on a scooter vs showing up on a motorcycle.

They're not bad buses. They're gonna have a 5.9 cummins and AT545. The motor is fine for that size bus, the transmission is the bottom end unit that we all complain about but many of us own anyway.

They have some downsides. The super short wheelbase will see-saw down the highway if the road isn't smooth. They often have 10r tires which are less popular (less common, potentially more expensive) than 11r tires. They don't really do better on fuel than a longer bus, because you spend your fuel pushing air more than pushing weight.

This particular one is not exceptional. It doesn't have air conditioning, so that's an instant write off for me. 250k isn't a crazy ton of miles on a 5.9 but it's more than I'd want for a starting point. Ultimately, this is a commodity bus that you can find at commodity prices.

So the problem is, he's asking a major premium for it. When I say these go for more than you'd expect, I'm still talking under $3000. A friend of mine just bought a similarly equipped one with half the miles for 2000. He's way out of line on the price, and unlikely to budge anywhere near enough to be worthwhile.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I agree with Tango.

There is a member here that has a good running conventional for sale in the Pullman area you may want to take a look at. It has the 5.9 and an Allison 2000.

I think Dapplecreek is asking around 4k for his.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Since we've determined the 5.9 alone is not a "bad" motor, it is certainly not the "desired" motor to have. This guy is delusional thinking his 5.9 is worth half the value of a $10K bus. It is worth half of a $4k bus.
There's a "Blue Book" for buses? And it says that's worth $10K?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Thanks for the feedback back.

As far as AT545's go, what up with those? I imagine they aren't designed as much for freeway speeds?

I found the same bus, a little newer, in Arizona listed for $4500- Say I went for that, I'd have to fly down. drive back 1500 miles and (most likely have to) buy new tires. They didn't list the milage on it, but I 'm going to call and see what they say on that.

https://showroom.auction123.com/rwc_...oup_tucson_bus
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison transmission, bluebird, cummins 5.9, newbie, skoolie build