Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newby schoolie in trouble

Hi there schoolie group. Last year when my last family member passed I decided to get a school bus and convert it so about a month-and-a-half ago I bought a school bus gave myself one months to convert it and then I was traveling down south to find a new job here I am 6 weeks later halfway done I have all the parts but nothing works because I don't know how to turn it all out and plug it all together I'm in over my head and by myself and quickly hemorrhaging money if there's anybody in Illinois Central Illinois that is mechanically minded at all I could really really use some help.my main concern is trying to get my wood burning stove going and my generator going so that me and my dog don't freeze this winter & my trailer hitch mount put on, like I said I'm in over my head God bless anybody that could spare a little time to help217 235 3864 thanks Josh

Goodifieddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Try the Skoolie Map. Shows a few other members in IL. Can maybe reach out to them through their profiles? Hope this helps...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the help
Old 11-04-2018, 03:03 AM   #4
Traveling

No problem... That's what this site is supposed to be about, helping each other. Hope you get some help ASAP.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Traveling

I did see a thread on here where someone in IL is disposing of a camper with no engine or transmission, I think they said everything else is still there. Free to whoever wants it. Can't remember which thread by the time I found yours though.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Skoolie

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/free-24823.html
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/hello-24812.html
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Is there a vo-tech school in your area? Perhaps some of the students there could take it on as a project.
Roberta's Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
call Charlie Kern, www.yellowchrome.com, Denver, CO
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
(303) 931-1904
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
call Charlie Kern, www.yellowchrome.com, Denver, CO

Charlie and his guys are absolutely amazing. They are not cheap, but they are very reasonable for what they do ($50/hr), and they do a phenomenal job. Not sure how much help they can lend to someone out of state, though? Can't hurt to give him a shout, though!
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzWantsABus View Post
Charlie and his guys are absolutely amazing. They are not cheap, but they are very reasonable for what they do ($50/hr), and they do a phenomenal job. Not sure how much help they can lend to someone out of state, though? Can't hurt to give him a shout, though!
Cheaper than then the the truck repair shop that was $130/hr!
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodifieddude View Post
Hi there schoolie group. Last year when my last family member passed I decided to get a school bus and convert it so about a month-and-a-half ago I bought a school bus gave myself one months to convert it and then I was traveling down south to find a new job here I am 6 weeks later halfway done I have all the parts but nothing works because I don't know how to turn it all out and plug it all together I'm in over my head and by myself and quickly hemorrhaging money if there's anybody in Illinois Central Illinois that is mechanically minded at all I could really really use some help.my main concern is trying to get my wood burning stove going and my generator going so that me and my dog don't freeze this winter & my trailer hitch mount put on, like I said I'm in over my head God bless anybody that could spare a little time to help217 235 3864 thanks Josh
Josh, I understand. I am building a 38ft skoolie alone and definitely have hemorrhaged money. It is never ending. I just got my mechanics quote for almost $4,000, plus the preventive maintenance, which was $700. I have spend $600 in the last three days. Did I say it is never ending? Also, did I mention I bought a rare 26 year old bus that is difficult to find parts?

I am doing the work alone. Years ago I helped a general contractor put up a few walls, helped install a drop ceiling, installed four electric outlets and helped plumb a kitchen...that’s it! I have NO IDEA what I am doing.

I say all this to say, welcome to #buslife. It’s insane and it’s the best thing you will ever do, as it will challenge everything you thought you knew about yourself. You will meet amazingly kind and generous people who are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

You are not alone. I am with you, as well as a number of other crazy buslife people.

Wishing I could offer more!

Celeste
Old 11-23-2018, 03:28 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRev View Post
Josh, I understand. I am building a 38ft skoolie alone and definitely have hemorrhaged money. It is never ending. I just got my mechanics quote for almost $4,000, plus the preventive maintenance, which was $700. I have spend $600 in the last three days. Did I say it is never ending? Also, did I mention I bought a rare 26 year old bus that is difficult to find parts?

I am doing the work alone. Years ago I helped a general contractor put up a few walls, helped install a drop ceiling, installed four electric outlets and helped plumb a kitchen...that’s it! I have NO IDEA what I am doing.

I say all this to say, welcome to #buslife. It’s insane and it’s the best thing you will ever do, as it will challenge everything you thought you knew about yourself. You will meet amazingly kind and generous people who are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

You are not alone. I am with you, as well as a number of other crazy buslife people.

Wishing I could offer more!

Celeste
Thanks it's good to know I'm not the only one out there once you start doing the bus you can't stop halfway I've reached the point now or I'm almost completely out of money I'm going to be living in a bus cold-ass Illinois I'm just trying to be grateful for what I do have there's people sleeping on the street
Old 11-23-2018, 03:29 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRev View Post
Cheaper than then the the truck repair shop that was $130/hr!
Thank you that's probably out of my budget
Old 11-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the mechanical part of busses is pricey to get worked on.. they are commercial vehicles.. however if you have any wrenching skills at all. there are many things on the busses that are similar to working on a car or pickup truck..

many of the parts are still available for the busses.. the flat nose units get a bit tougher as mentioned since they were often a one-off style body and not like saythe 3800 nsvistar that many parts were sharedacrossd platforms.

things like that $700 maintenance bill can be cut in half by doing it yourself.. and most of the those packages do nothing more than change fluids, lube the chassis, check the brakes and air up the tires..

even things like swapping a radiator, a fan clutch, an alternator, etc are all well within the realm of someone with average mechanical skills.

certain things are often too big for average tools. so those major things you send the bus to the shop if you can..

$130 / hr is the going rate for shop labor.. however you can often find a mechanic that wants to do side jobs for less $$.. some of them even get permission to use the full shop of tools after hours. you can post for them on. apps like TAKL, Offer-up, craigslist, etc.. you may very well get rates of $50 / hr or such and be allowed to help / be around the bus while its being worked on.. and learn

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Okay thank you for the information I'm not worried about how my bus runs I got a good diesel engine in it and it runs really well and everything's in good repair my situation is that I have solar panels and heaters and tow hitch and how to add 35 ft of cable into my backup camera system and stuff like that that I need to get put on and I don't know how to I think I have all the parts and just don't know how to connect the stuff but thanks for your information that's great to know in the future that I don't want to break down and I don't want to have to get a repairs if I don't have to cuz it'll cost me a fortune so I'll definitely have to save money back for emergency maintenance and stuff thanks again for all the great info
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Now that you have clearly stated your problem? Issue? Conundrum ?
Which issue would you like help with FIRST????
You want help with electrical?
You got solar? Okay
You have a heater? Okay
Your tow hitch installed? Okay
35' of cable ran for a back up camera system???? That you have not given us any make,model? Specifics about what you are attempting to install into where?
The actual manufacturer for that rear view camera system would probably be your best bet if you don't have the wiring diagram's ?
We can't help until we know what YOU are working with?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Breaking news

Shop rates on the rise.
A great place to stay away from...interested in doing your own maintenance now?
Get to know your bus and how to wrench on it.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Shoplabourrate.jpeg  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Shop rates on the rise.
A great place to stay away from...interested in doing your own maintenance now?
Get to know your bus and how to wrench on it.
John
thats freaking crazy.
time to change careers.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the mechanical part of busses is pricey to get worked on.. they are commercial vehicles.. however if you have any wrenching skills at all. there are many things on the busses that are similar to working on a car or pickup truck..

many of the parts are still available for the busses.. the flat nose units get a bit tougher as mentioned since they were often a one-off style body and not like saythe 3800 nsvistar that many parts were sharedacrossd platforms.

things like that $700 maintenance bill can be cut in half by doing it yourself.. and most of the those packages do nothing more than change fluids, lube the chassis, check the brakes and air up the tires..

even things like swapping a radiator, a fan clutch, an alternator, etc are all well within the realm of someone with average mechanical skills.

certain things are often too big for average tools. so those major things you send the bus to the shop if you can..

$130 / hr is the going rate for shop labor.. however you can often find a mechanic that wants to do side jobs for less $$.. some of them even get permission to use the full shop of tools after hours. you can post for them on. apps like TAKL, Offer-up, craigslist, etc.. you may very well get rates of $50 / hr or such and be allowed to help / be around the bus while its being worked on.. and learn

-Christopher
Christopher, thank you for this information. I will say this, it is the last time a shop will do my PM. All they did was add filters and fluids. I liked that they checked the air brakes, but the rest, I will do.