Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2024, 08:36 AM   #1

Year: 2009
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: MaxxForceDT
NM Skoolie Bike Shop

My husband and I just bought a partially converted large short bus in December that we’re making improvements on. We’ve been living in it full time with our small dog and cat for about a month now.

We’ve been running a bicycle repair shop in northern NM for the last 5 years and recently decided we needed a change. We’re buying a bit of land in Taos and building a home and shop there, but in the meantime we are living and working out of our Skoolie.

Currently hanging out in Albuquerque while we get some mechanical work done on the bus, but soon headed to CA to visit family. I’ve had great luck finding bus-friendly places to park at night here in NM but CA gets a bit more complicated. AZ looks promising. We should be self-contained for electricity, wi-fi, showers in the next couple weeks. Anyone have great recommendations for places to stay on our way to CA?

Looking forward to meeting and talking with other skoolie folks!

MamaRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:00 AM   #2

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums2487.html
Old 02-21-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Are you heading to Southern California or Northern California? Recommendations might vary depending on your route.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Are you heading to Southern California or Northern California? Recommendations might vary depending on your route.
So & Central, heading across AZ on 40, avoiding LA. We have a place to stay most nights at Pismo Beach & in the Central Valley. Mostly looking for places along the route between here & there, but not many bus friendly campgrounds for the days I don't have covered in CA.

I grew up in CA so I know enough to not just hope for an out of the way trailhead or something like you can in NM. Some of my husband’s experiences traveling through AZ years ago tell me that could also be a problem there.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
From Ross Taylor --January 6th, 2021

A skoolie-friendly stop off I-40, near Flagstaff Arizona.
Hi all,

My wife and I live about 25 minutes West of Flagstaff, Arizona. We have a 20-acre "family compound" with myself, my wife Kara, 13-year-old daughter Ruby, our dog Ginger, Kara's mom, and about 40 chickens. Our property backs up to the US Forest Service property of the Garland Prairie and we have great views of the San Francisco Peaks (no, not that San Francisco...the Arizona mountains, including the 12,700 foot Mount Humphrey). From the I-40 freeway, a major East-West corridor, you'd drive 1 mile on paved road then 3 miles on County maintained (nice) dirt road. As you leave the pines and spruce of the forest, you'll "burst" out onto the edge of the prairie where we regularly see elk and antelope.

Anyway, all that wordiness is to orient you to the general vibe. We've got an RV spot we've rented out before and we recently listed it on HipCamp. We're charging $20/night for RVers. But we love and support the skoolie community, so we've regularly offered free overnights to skoolie passersby. And if you ever did laundry near our restaurant in Flagstaff, you've probably had a free beer or meal on us! If you're passing through and want to spend the night here, just book your night on HipCamp and use the coupon code MountainViews20 to get a $20 credit, which should give you that night free. We're new to HipCamp, and they had to set that coupon code up for us specially, so please let me know if you have any issues with it. Our intent is that your night here be completely free. BTW, that coupon code is case sensitive.

Here's the listing:

https://www.hipcamp.com/arizona/ross...-views-rv-site
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:28 PM   #6

That listing no longer comes up on hipcamp. I saw his post. Still need to try contacting him directly.

https://www.hipcamp.com/arizona/ross...-views-rv-site[/QUOTE]
Old 02-22-2024, 12:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
A skoolie-friendly stop off I-40, near Flagstaff Arizona.
Hi all,

My wife and I live about 25 minutes West of Flagstaff, Arizona. We have a 20-acre "family compound" with myself, my wife Kara, 13-year-old daughter Ruby, our dog Ginger, Kara's mom, and about 40 chickens. Our property backs up to the US Forest Service property of the Garland Prairie and we have great views of the San Francisco Peaks (no, not that San Francisco...the Arizona mountains, including the 12,700 foot Mount Humphrey). From the I-40 freeway, a major East-West corridor, you'd drive 1 mile on paved road then 3 miles on County maintained (nice) dirt road. As you leave the pines and spruce of the forest, you'll "burst" out onto the edge of the prairie where we regularly see elk and antelope.

Anyway, all that wordiness is to orient you to the general vibe. We've got an RV spot we've rented out before and we recently listed it on HipCamp. We're charging $20/night for RVers. But we love and support the skoolie community, so we've regularly offered free overnights to skoolie passersby. And if you ever did laundry near our restaurant in Flagstaff, you've probably had a free beer or meal on us! If you're passing through and want to spend the night here, just book your night on HipCamp and use the coupon code MountainViews20 to get a $20 credit, which should give you that night free. We're new to HipCamp, and they had to set that coupon code up for us specially, so please let me know if you have any issues with it. Our intent is that your night here be completely free. BTW, that coupon code is case sensitive.

Here's the listing:

https://www.hipcamp.com/arizona/ross...-views-rv-site

That link has been broken for a long time.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
There are places everywhere to camp in NM and AZ, just look for free camping on the internet, plenty of BLM land, just go looking
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:35 PM   #9

Thanks, never thought of actually looking. *sarcasm*

Maybe I am actually looking for the personal recommendations and opinions of other schoolie folks. And I wasn’t looking for NM. I got that.

I do know how to use the internet. It got me this far.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:49 AM   #10

You know, if you read “mooch” and “can’t google” into my original post here, that’s your own assumptions clouding your eyes.

If you’re here to tell me about cool places to stay, or want to talk bus with a middle age hippie mom who has lived off-grid and knows how to do some things, cool. Let’s talk.

If you have negative opinions of anyone living in a school bus or bike shop owners or bike mechanics, this post isn't for you. Move along.

I actually don’t understand why someone on this forum would have negative opinions about bus folks, but the workd is a strange place.

Don’t send me a private message being a jerk. I’m not here for that. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
camping

A few places to camp: One of our favorites is... Indian Bread Rocks...it's rugged (if my bus made it to the turnaround yours will also) but worth the trip, probably a couple dozen spots, have met great people there. Another is South Cattle Tank Road, HUGE area to camp, no problem finding room there. Castle Dome Rock area and you can go see the ghost town and mine. Yuma has a VFW campground outside of town and it gets crowded but you can find a place. And of course Ehrenburg area. These are all free and most can be found on Freeroam.app. Enjoy.
If you get east you can try Optima Lake OK, we stayed there even though the sign says you can't but they don't care, it's in the desert, pretty cool and scary at the same time, google it and check it out.
I don't understand why anyone needs to be rude?
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:20 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRhi View Post
Thanks, never thought of actually looking. *sarcasm*

Maybe I am actually looking for the personal recommendations and opinions of other schoolie folks. And I wasn’t looking for NM. I got that.

I do know how to use the internet. It got me this far.
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:39 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Uh Oh. A couple of posts in and we're already using 'mansplainer'. Let's get back on the right foot!

First of all, welcome!

With respect to Route 40, I'm mostly familiar with it from Flagstaff west. Someone already posted Ross's Hipcamp arrangement in Williams, and he's super helpful.

If I were travelling that stretch I'd probably want to arrange my westward travel that it ended the day near Williams.

There are a number of fire roads off 64 (the road north to the South Rim of the canyon). If you planned on checking that out I think I'd look at the BoonDocking app for sites.

And just west of there you could take part of Route 66-I think there will be a few BLM places you could find.

There are no doubt spots off Kelbaker Road. If you wanted remote, exit and take the road south to where it meets old route 66, I doubt you'd be disturbed if you pulled off somewhere there.

Further West, the Ludlow exit has multiple spots right off the highway, and there's a restaurant there (not much else).

Beyond that I'm more familiar with the East slope of the Sierras, so no help in the south central valley.

Let us know what you find.

And with regard to etiquette, this space is nothing like Facebook. We are a very supportive group, largely focused on the technical side of skoolie things where you'll get tons of excellent advice on conversion, rig modifications and the like.

Many here express 'tough love', if someone comes in clear inexperience (not saying that's you, by the way), or has unrealistic expectations about living on the road. I think the consensus opinion is to be direct about a)how expensive it is to convert and run a skoolie, b)what level of skill and or effort is needed to convert one, or c)when to run away from a 'cheap' bus.

We all do this volunteer, on our own time. If a post is a generic question from a new person, I get the sense that some will pass on replying, to see if the person sticks around and anyone else asks the clarifying questions. Then they might happily rip off a quick reply if they have input; or a longer reply if they feel inclined.

I'm sure you get the idea. 'Hey, I'm new to skoolie life and getting evicted, what bus should I buy?'

So when I first saw your post I thought hmmm, not enough information. Let's wait; and then I decided to ask the clarifying question, because then I knew that would improve chances of somebody giving good feedback.

Hope this clarify things. Happy to see you in the group.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote