Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
I feel bad about hacking YMIHeres post. You can continue posting regarding my situation at The-Breeze in skoolie conversions.
You're good! Stop the madness!
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: WI
Posts: 24
Year: 2003
Another Single Woman Saving for a Bus Here! (saved so far: 2800 bux)

Hey... you are not alone. I am a single woman looking to convert and live in a bus... my first choice would be a coach bus because of the storage underneath and i like the look of them... I'm hoping to find out why I should get a school bus instead (or stick to my coach bus craving) and get advice about converting. I have experience with deep-cycle batteries and solar panels and I can weld and use most powere tools... HOW hard can it be? It's not rocket science! I also plan on taking my cats along for the ride. I have my carpenter picked out already, her name is Judy!

I think just ask around as you go and either do it yourself or have them do it with you as the assistant. I learn by doing too!

Feel free to message me if you like... I am in the upper midwest and want to drive around some of the Southern states; thinking maybe I could tend some bar around the US... my skills are portable (and potable, lol).

Much luck, we can all learn together.
__________________
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE
doctressjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East of Albuquerque
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctressjulia View Post
Hey... you are not alone. I am a single woman looking to convert and live in a bus... my first choice would be a coach bus because of the storage underneath and i like the look of them... I'm hoping to find out why I should get a school bus instead (or stick to my coach bus craving) and get advice about converting. I have experience with deep-cycle batteries and solar panels and I can weld and use most powere tools... HOW hard can it be? It's not rocket science! I also plan on taking my cats along for the ride. I have my carpenter picked out already, her name is Judy!

I think just ask around as you go and either do it yourself or have them do it with you as the assistant. I learn by doing too!

Feel free to message me if you like... I am in the upper midwest and want to drive around some of the Southern states; thinking maybe I could tend some bar around the US... my skills are portable (and potable, lol).

Much luck, we can all learn together.
Wow, you just described me, right down to the cats. I'm drawn to the bus conversion plan but the voices in my head alternate between "You have the skills, go for it!" and "Who are you kidding? You never finish anyth
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Wow, you just described me, right down to the cats. I'm drawn to the bus conversion plan but the voices in my head alternate between "You have the skills, go for it!" and "Who are you kidding? You never finish anyth
EXACTLY!!!

Love the lack of complete sentence as well. Nicely done.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,629
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Wow, you just described me, right down to the cats. I'm drawn to the bus conversion plan but the voices in my head alternate between "You have the skills, go for it!" and "Who are you kidding? You never finish anyth
9 out of the 10 voices in my head keep telling me to stay home & clean my guns but that tenth ones keeps saying "No No go to work so you can afford to buy more ammo":conf used:
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
9 out of the 10 voices in my head keep telling me to stay home & clean my guns but that tenth ones keeps saying "No No go to work so you can afford to buy more ammo":conf used:
I see we have a bunch of comedians around these parts, lol.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #27
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gainesville. Georgia
Posts: 544
Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Ya but they can turn on a dime. They all have multiple personalities. Take Stu & Filo T. (he really is just one person). In fact Stu nor Filo T. is his real name.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
To someone in your position, I would start out by reading countless builds the (Sky wagon is a great build written out in laymen) until you start to see a pattern and develop the smallest amount of confidence necessary to take your first step. If you bookmark your favorite way everyone does X then you'll have directions to follow! There are a lot of varying levels of complexity to conversions so if you're fine with using water jugs and camp stoves, you could convert a bus much easier than someone with a off grid house level conversion.

If you're unwilling to do so, then maybe you should try to find a guy with carpentry skills and you can siren him into converting the bus with you? Otherwise maybe you should start out with simpler work like converting a van, or improving an RV.
You might be able to buy SkyWagon. After reading their blog it appears the bus needs a new engine so they have stored it and moved west. Might be able to get it for a decent price and throw another engine in it and have a ready to roll skoolie.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #29
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,915
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats another point that should be added to some sticky / faq someplace on this site.. if you buy a bus close-by your home... before you really get started on the conversion... take it out and run it... drive it like you will when its converted...

some of us buy busses that are several hundred or more miles away so they get a good road trip in before reaching home.. so you know if they have any current major mechanical issues...

buying one close its a lot tougher to detect a bus that may lose all its coolant in 100 miles.. or overheats on hills.. or the oil pressure drops badly after its hot, transmission slips, etc...

it also lets you know morei f driving abus is right for you... whether skywagon returns or not is ??? but sounds like that family didnt even enjoy driving the bus.. could be because it probably ran pretty bad..

driving a school bus is a different experience... esp an older one... many of us remember the loud, rattley bouncie busses from our youth... I venture to say many of the busses being bought now by members are busses like we may have rode in school..

while a school bus can be repaired, beefed up, even add air-ride, better tires, made quieter and cooler with insulation and air-conditioning.. underneath all of the fancy interiors is still a School bus... if you enjoy driving a bus (like I do).. then its a match made in heaven...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 172
Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
I agree with Cadillackid about the pleasure of driving an old, rough ridding, noisy bus down the road because I enjoy it too. Maybe the bigger picture is do you enjoy taking something old and worn out ready for the junk pile and turning it into something useful and maybe even beautiful--depending on your skill set? All of the skills you have will make the process easier and all of the skills you acquire will be useful in other projects beside the bus. So it really doesn't matter what gender you are, all that matters is what do you enjoy and what do you want to accomplish?
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #31
Bus Nut
 
GreyCoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Danglebury, Tejas
Posts: 310
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I've been reading this thread and grinning big. Suddenly this board just got a big shot of like-minded estrogen, and IMHO its playing VERY well indeed!

There is a lot of latent talent on here, from both sexes. So if you hit a problem, the solution is likely just a post away.

One of the things I really enjoy about this board is the sense of camaderie here. You can ask really "dumb" questions (I have!) and get good, thoughtful answers.

Viva la Skoolie!
__________________
"You can finally say you have enough horsepower when you leave two black streaks from corner to corner"
(Mark Donohue, famed TransAm driver)
GreyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #32
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gainesville. Georgia
Posts: 544
Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
To someone in your position, I would start out by reading countless builds the (Sky wagon is a great build written out in laymen) . A very well written piece and a great must read when you have no clue.

I love skoolies for the reasons you mentioned. Then again, you have those that tell you to "**** or get off the pot & figure it out"or just "whore yourself out" & find someone to do it for you.

These are cute replies but do not give those of us who are truly looking for help and assistance in gittin it dun!. I have been here for quite a few moons now & still find the SEARCH engine here lacking. It is frustrating to have to read through hundreds of posts that may or may not even provide you the answer you are looking for. That is why I & many others ask the same questions over & over again. A point blank answer, though not as entertaining would be very helpful.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #33
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kent, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 414
Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
[I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] I have been here for quite a few moons now & still find the SEARCH engine here lacking. It is frustrating to have to read through hundreds of posts that may or may not even provide you the answer you are looking for. That is why I & many others ask the same questions over & over again. A point blank answer, though not as entertaining would be very helpful.
The key to using the search function is to go through google, "site:skoolie.net [whatever keyword you're looking for]". Say you want to search window skinning like I have been. In google you search "site:skoolie.net window skinning". Say you're trying to find how people do doors, you search "site:skoolie.net door", etc. It makes it a lot easier to find what you're looking for. I also bookmark with extreme vigor.

I also do a lot of google image searches because I'm not necessarily looking for words.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gainesville. Georgia
Posts: 544
Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks, that is very helpful. It gives a little blurb about the contents of that post but also starts you off in the right area. I have made a special note to search that way from now on.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #35
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Hi YMIHere,

I'm new here as well. I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I live in Tampa Bay. I'm right here in Seminole over by Lake Seminole Park.

Now the bad: I don't know anything more about this than you do, so I won't be of much help other than encouragement. But I read and watch videos daily and I'm learning and saving up for my first bus. I am also both crazy excited and scared at the same time. I think anything worth doing in life always has both components.
branley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #36
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,508
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by branley View Post
Hi YMIHere,

I'm new here as well. I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I live in Tampa Bay. I'm right here in Seminole over by Lake Seminole Park.

Now the bad: I don't know anything more about this than you do, so I won't be of much help other than encouragement. But I read and watch videos daily and I'm learning and saving up for my first bus. I am also both crazy excited and scared at the same time. I think anything worth doing in life always has both components.
Nice to have another Floridian here. I'm in Eustis.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie
 
jpm9909's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverview, FL
Posts: 57
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Hey YMIHERE,

I'm in Riverview, and am in the planning stages of my own bus build. I'm no carpenter, nor electrician - but I have a whole heap of gumption and my stubborn Irish pride that forces me to figure out stuff or "die trying" lol

(ask me about my motorcycle struggles!)

But seriously - I get your anxiety, but you can do this - and as others have said - there's so much support here for you. East Coast CB has offered to help me as well (when I get to that point) - so feel free to reach out.

If nothing else - two people hacking up a couple of buses should at least be entertaining in a "don't try this at home" kinda way... ;)
__________________
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
jpm9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #38
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,508
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm9909 View Post
Hey YMIHERE,

I'm in Riverview, and am in the planning stages of my own bus build. I'm no carpenter, nor electrician - but I have a whole heap of gumption and my stubborn Irish pride that forces me to figure out stuff or "die trying" lol

(ask me about my motorcycle struggles!)

But seriously - I get your anxiety, but you can do this - and as others have said - there's so much support here for you. East Coast CB has offered to help me as well (when I get to that point) - so feel free to reach out.

If nothing else - two people hacking up a couple of buses should at least be entertaining in a "don't try this at home" kinda way... ;)
It takes a village...
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie
 
jpm9909's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Riverview, FL
Posts: 57
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It takes a village...
Indeed it does!
__________________
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
jpm9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #40
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 82
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
We're building our bus in bushnell but live in Tampa. You can come meet us and check out the bus. We're a newly wed couple and have been converting our bus for the past year.
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×