Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 11:51 PM   #1

Nomadic welding?

Hi Tony here,
Very new to this although I've romanticized the idea for a while. Recently my partner brought up buying land and living in a trailer and kind of sparked a new flame in me about exploring the idea of being a little more nomadic. We own a house now in Maryland and in the few years since we bought have a large amount of equity built up. So would be nice to cash out and maybe explore a little bit. I'm not a fan of Maryland but don't really know where I want to be. So the idea of moving around until I find where I want to be sounds enticing to me. I'm a welder by trade and have recently embarked in setting out into my own business. I have been thinking about expanding that and doing more of a traveling welding business. Traveling to where the work is packing up and moving to the next place. Anyone have any insights if I'm out of my head or do something similar that can offer up some help?

Ttweldingandfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
Biggest problem I see is the work vehicle. Towing a heavy welding rig/service truck with a bus is going to be an issue. Without a service truck of some sort, I don't think you'll be as successful as you'd like when performing field welding/fabrication jobs.

The only other option I see is to get a large dognose or FE bus and build a 10' service bed on the back 10' of frame. Leave the rest of the bus for living space. The issue there is whether or not you and your partner can live comfortably fulltime in a bus with 10' less space on the back. Something like this:

RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
but at that point you would be required to have a CDL because you are using the bus to make money and if thee machine and torches are mounted to the bus then your home would have to go to work with you everyday if it can even get to where you need it to be on the job site or have a thousand feet of lead.
i almost went on the road for a company that did pipe lines.
the were close to me at the time finishing up in a ship yard.
they said there average was 6-months on three months to move to the next jobsite and find housing in the area and start the next job.
they were heading to wyoming from here and probably texas after that.
the money sounded good but we had 2 young kids at home at i didnt want to leave my wife to raise two teen age boys by herself.
and i already had a good job locally.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #4

I guess I should add I definitely couldn't lose space from the bus. Also would not like to have a bus around job site to job site. Driving would have to be split. She definitely couldn't handle a bus but she could handle a dually.
Ttweldingandfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
yes sir i thought at one point i would do a mobile welding shop and then it came to me about the size of the stuff i weld and how to get it out of the bus?
more rainy day stuff to keep the men working on a crappy day.
but using one to make money puts you in CDL territory when you get and they are going to want back payment from the day you started using it.
now another option is to have your truck transported to a location of where you are going and sometimes companies will pay that?
marine corps deployed and on the road welder.
tired and dont care about travel work to raise kids that grown and gone now.
they are still around and the extra money would help but in a travel job i wouldnt have really been home to see them grow up.
now the kids have found there way back and now pay rent and yard work. she went on the road as a travelling lab tech in 2020 so i am building her a shortie.
what she wanted?
south texas irish redhead(silver now)she has her opinions even from abroad about her bus.
she is the owner and will get exactly after debate what she wants no matter what?
whether i agree or not.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote