Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Noob with a Gillig bus obsession

Hi everyone,
Thanks for starting a group like this. I'm "neurotaffy" a name chosen by a random computer algorithm years ago I just liked and then it became all of my newsgroup avatar names. Go figure, anyway...

My bus story begins in the 1990's when at the ripe ol' age of 18, I trained for a CDL and eventually a public bus for PVTA Transit in college. My favorite was an RTS Nova series 6, 40 footer from 1995. It was the best job on campus and I miss it more as I age.

Now, a middle aged dad I still have my CDL and am looking for a bus our family can take on adventures. I love to drive, my wife loves to cook. We were planning to build an outdoor kitchen but this is the answer we can both agree combines our interests.

By trade I am a Covid displaced college art instructor~ I teach sculpture, welding, wood, fabrication and the like. I am also a mechanic on vintage scooters, and engines of all sort. This may come in handy for a very nice mild bus kitchen conversion. Honestly though Id be happy with a bus full of seats and OEM old chewing gum.

Right now I have found the bus of my dreams with the classic Gillig 636 school bus. Common in California and build from the late 50's until 1982 or so. They are just the embodiment of sturdy simplicity I yearn for in my mechanical pursuits. I have been reading that many of these "Californian Gross Polluters" have been scrapped and replaced by more environmentally sound models. It seems like I'm a day late and a dollar short to finding one.

Being in NY state with no emissions laws for vehicles older than 25 years I am in the early stages of trying to find a Gillig diesel rear engined bus to drive back to NY with me to complete my bus obsession. My budget is in its early stages... meaning, I'm trying to get a sense for what one of these running could be bought for.

I have joined a FB Gillig group and know there are some meets of old school bus and bus fans around the country. I am excited to read what the group has to say and an advice on my project.

Many Thanks, Greg 'Neurotaffy' In NY

Neurotaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Welcome to the forum, I'm in New Jersey.

I know nothing about Gilligs but I know there are folks here that own/like/know them. Hopefully one of them will be along soon.

I'm not sure I followed your bit about New York and CalForlornia but . . . buy the bus in CA and take it to NY. Avoid northeastern buses.

BTW, there's a conversion project thread here right now with a 1973 Gilligs, don't know what model.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/d...ild-12747.html
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
gillig west coast

I ran across a blue and white gillig around the california/arizona border. It was being used to move a family out east and the radiator took a barf. needs radiator repair/replaced. It is believed the engine was not hurt in the event. I think they wanted $3,000-$5000 for it. I ran across the add in craiglist about three months ago.

there is also a gasoline powered superior in washington for $1000

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #4

THANKS! Yes, part of the wanderlust I have is the trip back from Cali with a bus. I did some lang haul bus driving years ago and want to go again!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #5

Yes- seen that as well. Radiator is blown. Thinking those are pricey. I have been in contact but requesting pictures online is sometimes a hard ask, still waiting to hear back.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Neurotaffy...I first thought of brain elasticity when I saw that. But the random generator story is cool, too.

Did you actually find/buy your bus yet? I have a really nice Gillig 636 which I've been meaning to list for sale, but haven't yet...but it is available and I'm happy to share more if you are interested. I got it from Al Jennings, in CA, and you can find some videos of it if you search Al Jennings Gillig #11. It was his "keeper" bus, but he had to sell it. I love it, but I've got too many buses. And we've decided that a Crown humpback bus I rescued from a salvage yard is destined to take the Gillig's place in our retirement RV plans.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

Hiya Ross, Thanks for the reply. I am in the early stages of researching the "Gillig of my Dreams" and have watched all of Al Jennings bus videos at least 3 times. As well as countless others. I'm not ready financially just yet to plunk down a bunch of cash, but will be eventually. But I do have a pal in Mesa AZ to drive with

Meanwhile, perhaps you could send me a Pm with more bus information? As I recall is that a center engined diesel? I'll look again on his video. Thanks a whole bunch!

Greg aka Neurotaffy (And YES! Brain elasticity is exactly why I like this one too~ you are the first person to actually comment on this that way Cool!)