Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International / IC
Chassis: IC Corporation/Blue Bird
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 19 + wheelchair capacity
Talking Oh, boy. Here I go!

Hi all.

So, eliminating a LOT of details and misery from the story, I'll get to the point.

After years of agonising...I BOUGHT A BUS!!!

Basics: 2004 international ic school bus, 19 passenger seating capacity, DT466E engine with rear AC and wheel chair lift.

I am about to drive to the Calgary area from S Louisiana, and with this being my first bus, I'm quite a nervous wreck. I am very fortunate to have a very good, and very qualified mechanic with fleet maintenance experience, so that's take a lot of fear off my brain.

I have so many questions that are randomly floating around, and of course, they're never all there when I need them.

Random things I can think of (and they may be illogical):
I had AAA for my car, but what do I do for a bus? If I have a break down or something. Do I use my insurance company to help me?

How do I install some basic radio equipment so I have the ability to charge my phone, or use a USB? Sorry for being a basic bi#ch with these questions.

Best spots to stop along the way while avoiding spending $$ for parking and/or sleeping. I have known about the Freecampsites site for a while, but now I can actually use it. What about WalMart if necessary? Is it always best to simply check w the manager on duty?

OH! Any suggestions on getting accurate/relevant bus manual materials? Is it Navistar that I must contact?

Despite having a LOT of wandering questions and a bit of nervousness, I'm more excited than anything.

I assume from tons of research that crossing into Canada isn't a big deal, as I have insurance, a valid driver's license, and a new plate. I've also been multiple times.

I am so happy to be here, and I feel very grateful to have this forum to refer to.

Thank you for letting me ramble, and thanks for your patience!

Michael

https://www.michaelspetandhomecare.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Louisiana to Alberta.JPG  

mrmchoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Hi Michael and welcome.

You're not alone with having some nerves about picking up the bus. There are some great resources available on this site.

With regards to charging your phone / radio - I am just using my Anker powerbank and Anker bluetooth speaker for my upcoming drive. I am planning on installing a touch screen radio with reversing camera and don't want to mess with the wiring upfront incase there are sone hidden gremlins. Will make it easier to troubleshoot.

Many users report AAA and Good Sam not being available until after you convert the bus, but there are many different experiences, so I'd suggest searching the forum on this topic.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International / IC
Chassis: IC Corporation/Blue Bird
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 19 + wheelchair capacity
Thanks for your reply! I was going to do exactly that in regard to my phone. Would you suggest a certain type of charger for a bus, as I used to have a mobile, handheld one for my car, and I know that they're extremely worthwhile.

They have usb ports now!

I really am so excited that I can't explain it.

Also terrified.

M
mrmchoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
If you are capable of doing any type of wiring, the panel on the drivers side for the 12v electrical is very accessible and there are certainly fuses that aren't being use that you could install a universal 12v lighter type plug. Or you could purchase an inexpensive lower watt power inverter that you could connect to the battery and just run an extension cord to the drivers area. Just be sure to securely attach it somehow in the battery area so that it does not get jarred around during the trip. Then get a bluetooth speaker and bring a couple charging blocks for USB powered devices. Would likely want a powerful bluetooth speaker though, the bus is going to be noisy.

Also congrats and welcome! Good freaking score on the DT466!
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I installed a couple lighter plugs on the dash.. I wired it as a 20 amp circuit.. the electrical system had several free 20 amp circuit breakers.. I use a pair of JBL Xtrene bluetooth speakers that I keep plugged into my inverter so they stay charged.. they can be linked together so they are in a stereo-sound configuration.. and they rock!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmchoohaa View Post
Hi all.

So, eliminating a LOT of details and misery from the story, I'll get to the point.

After years of agonising...I BOUGHT A BUS!!!

Basics: 2004 international ic school bus, 19 passenger seating capacity, DT466E engine with rear AC and wheel chair lift.

I am about to drive to the Calgary area from S Louisiana, and with this being my first bus, I'm quite a nervous wreck. I am very fortunate to have a very good, and very qualified mechanic with fleet maintenance experience, so that's take a lot of fear off my brain.

I have so many questions that are randomly floating around, and of course, they're never all there when I need them.

Random things I can think of (and they may be illogical):
I had AAA for my car, but what do I do for a bus? If I have a break down or something. Do I use my insurance company to help me?

How do I install some basic radio equipment so I have the ability to charge my phone, or use a USB? Sorry for being a basic bi#ch with these questions.

Best spots to stop along the way while avoiding spending $$ for parking and/or sleeping. I have known about the Freecampsites site for a while, but now I can actually use it. What about WalMart if necessary? Is it always best to simply check w the manager on duty?

OH! Any suggestions on getting accurate/relevant bus manual materials? Is it Navistar that I must contact?

Despite having a LOT of wandering questions and a bit of nervousness, I'm more excited than anything.

I assume from tons of research that crossing into Canada isn't a big deal, as I have insurance, a valid driver's license, and a new plate. I've also been multiple times.

I am so happy to be here, and I feel very grateful to have this forum to refer to.

Thank you for letting me ramble, and thanks for your patience!

Michael

https://www.michaelspetandhomecare.com/
Coachnet may cover you AAA probably won't.

Truckers path is an free appa that shows you where THEY go and park. If you fill up there they let you park overnight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tags
canada, free camping, ic 300, international 3800, ohgodpleasedontbreakdown