Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

One day...

I've always wanted to take my family on the road. I've dreamed about it before I even had a family! Now I have 4 kids that we homeschool, and traveling seems even more important, but traveling full-time was a some-day-crazy-mom dream. Last week we visited the RV museum in Amarillo, and I found my husband and I having a conversation I never thought we would, taking our little circus on the road! I have been researching every spare moment since then. I have so many questions, and I don't know where to start! We have what some might call a "large" family, and we're probably not done growing it just yet. I've decided a converted bus is the best option to get something that will fill our needs. I'm concerned we don't have the skills to do it, and I don't know what to look for in a bus. Maybe we could find one already finished, but I'm not holding my breath;) I'm so green the grass is envious! I'm grateful for this site and others where I might find some answers. We're thinking we might be able to hit the road a year from now, but I wish it was tomorrow!

Texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome TexasMom,

It might be best if you would give us some additional specifics as to how you would use the bus. Do you plan to live in it full time, or just weekend use? Do you plan to put lots of miles on it by driving it alot, or will it be parked the majority of the time?

All of the possible options can seem overwhelming at the beginning but just start making a list of how you intend to use it and what features/appliances you can't live without in the bus. Little by little it will become more clear and help you know what to look for. Your at the right place to ask questions, we're all here to help. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!

Thank you! We'd like to live in it full-time for a while. I want to see the country, staying in one spot for maybe a couple months at a time. I need to be able to cook and bake for my family so stove, oven, full sink and refrigerator, and maybe deep freeze. We'd need a tub, because we have littles. I wouldn't mind a convection oven microwave but it's not a necessity. We're going to start paring down our belongings now, but some storage is still going to be needed. I want to be able to all sit/eat together on bad weather days inside. A washer and dryer would be super handy with all these kids. Is that too much? Lol!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
All is possible if you want to convert a 53' semi trailer!!

You could get all that in, id say minus the washer dryer if you need space. They take up a lot of room. How many people total? There are some 36" tub shower combos you can put in, or if hubby is handy, he can fiberglass a custom one. (I thought about this option because it can be in any place I want it.)

If you want a convection/microwave combo, try a flat top ceramic cooktop for meals. plus when its off, you have more counter space. Then you have cabinet space under and not an oven.

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to our gang!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! I read a tip that said to lay out a floor plan, so you have a better idea what size to look for. I guess I need to do that. I'm going to pay close attention to how we live to see what we need to function. I've seen some really creative uses of space. I'm excited about the challenge. Good tips, thanks.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmom View Post
I've always wanted to take my family on the road. I've dreamed about it before I even had a family! Now I have 4 kids that we homeschool, and traveling seems even more important, but traveling full-time was a some-day-crazy-mom dream. Last week we visited the RV museum in Amarillo, and I found my husband and I having a conversation I never thought we would, taking our little circus on the road! I have been researching every spare moment since then. I have so many questions, and I don't know where to start! We have what some might call a "large" family, and we're probably not done growing it just yet. I've decided a converted bus is the best option to get something that will fill our needs. I'm concerned we don't have the skills to do it, and I don't know what to look for in a bus. Maybe we could find one already finished, but I'm not holding my breath;) I'm so green the grass is envious! I'm grateful for this site and others where I might find some answers. We're thinking we might be able to hit the road a year from now, but I wish it was tomorrow!
Welcome texasmom

You sound just like us we just have 1 more than you.

I'm concerned we don't have the skills to do it.

For this I'd say if your on here trying to figure things out and learn your not going to have a problem. I'm still learning all the time. You just need the WILL and the WANT and it sounds like you have both. You will need your physical tools and then your web tools.... Google / YouTube and then skoolie.net. this one you will gain a lot from. There is lots of pictures on here and some do videos and all kinds of how to threads and if its not on here someone will probably have a link or know were to go to learn how to do whatever it is.

and I don't know what to look for in a bus.

Tell everyone what it is you are looking for or if you found one. Get as much information in it as you can if you go look at it....what Engine and transmission. This is what I did and everyone gave their own opinions so I could make a choice.

Ours is 40 ft bumper to bumper and about 29 ft inside to work with. Its going to be some work but I look at the end game and its all worth it. I just about have the insulation out and then hopefully start getting the kidos in there to help build the family project.

good luck keep us posted.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! It's good to know I'm in the right place. I thought having four kids might be a problem at first, but I'm finding people with bigger families than ours making it work. I just need to focus on priorities. You are a great group! I feel more confident already
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
A rear engine bus is going to give you the most usable interior space, along with being quieter on the road and generally riding nicer. They also have the largest usable space underneath for tanks, baggage compartments. I just envisioned a set up for 5 bunks in the rear of a pusher over the engine that would take up little space.
Since you need a tub, you might think about a livestock water tank/shower combo. Or could a large kitchen sink be used until little ones are big enough to shower. I used a deep sink as a temporary until I got the plumbing done, it was quite handy.

Good Luck
Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Great ideas, thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
I thought it was only talked about in the forum so I was searching and didn't realize they had a build thread on here.

The goodnews bus. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/go...ject-3840.html
I believe they are a family of 9. Have a blog / youtube video too on there bus build.

Its been awhile since I watched there video to remember how the bus was set up. They did have a washer/dryer combo. Anyway might be a good start.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I've seen their site. They have an awesome bus!