Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
Oregon to Alaska, please help!

Hey ya'll, because of COVID we haven't been able to move our bus from Oregon until now. I will be driving from Grant's Pass Oregon to Seattle on the 18th and I wondered if anyone could recommend a good, cheap place to get my electronic speed governor moved from 55 to more like 68 or 70. My bus already has low gears, I'm not going to drive it more than 55 anyway but the RPMs are high at 55 right now. Somewhere along the 5 North would be great, if I could schedule and appointment, even better! Thanks in advance for any advice, saves me time calling all over and perhaps not finding what I need!!

Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

I have the line sheet and spoke to an International rep who confirmed it has electronic road speed governor installed. Has a 5 speed spicer and 5.83 rear diff.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
If your rpm's are high at 55 mph the only thing that is saving the engine is the governor. Bump it up to 70 mph and kiss your engine good-by. It sounds to me like you need an axle ratio change to get the rpm's down before you monkey with the governor.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
5.83 rear needs to be changed before anything else concerning speed. Should be great for climbing mountains though.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligator. View Post
If anyone could recommend a good, cheap place to get my electronic speed governor moved from 55 to more like 68 or 70. My bus already has low gears, I'm not going to drive it more than 55 anyway but the RPMs are high at 55 right now.

Seems unwise to push it higher if you are saying RPM's are already high at 55.

The wording above sorta gives the impression you believe changing the governor would lower RPMs. Is that the case or am I misunderstand your wording?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I had good luck with Big Rig Rv and Truck Repair, Portland, OR a couple years ago when I had engine issue. They diagnosed and fixed a problem in 2 hrs that a dealer couldn't find in a week.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your DT466E wont spin any more than 2600 RPM even with the road speed governor removed.. you need the god mode servicemaxx to take the RPM limiter off.. but there isnt much headroom on the 466E.. the valve float is really low.. something like 2800 or 2900 and you dont want to be anywhere near the valve float.. so unless you want to change valve springs and maybe cam profile you arent getting any more than 2600 RPM out of it..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

Thank you to all who replied, I was so busy I didn't have a chance to shoot messages back. I did not change anything, I drove her 3000 miles at 53 mph @ 2600 RPMs. Amazing bus, she will do 53 up a 10% grade in 5th gear, no need to downshift. Cruise control worked amazing, which was great because Canada was a real dick to us. Told us we couldn't sleep in the bus and made us choose from a list of ROACH motels to stay in on the way north, warning us not to deviate from our travel plans or stay in our bus. This kinda sucks because I spent 2 days dealing with seats and making a living space for us.

Anyhow, I'm cool with cruising at 45-53 and I passed multiple big rigs and other vehicles climbing the rockies after Prince George, didn't find a single grade that would even lowered my speed by 1 mph the whole trip to Alaska. The one hiccup on the whole trip was -30 degrees in Tok, AK. Even with the block heater plugged in she wouldn't start and the extreme cold apparently shrunk my coolant lines running to the bus heaters enough to cause some minor leakage. Had to have the bus towed to a shop but after 4 hours indoors she fired right up and we made it home!

I'll probably keep my eye open for a 2 speed rear-end, I like my low gears but doing 50 when you can see straight road for miles ahead of you is a little disheartening. Would like the option of higher top speed on flat stretches. Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in, she never went over 190 degrees, usually hung out around 175-180.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
OP, which transmission model? Navistar dealer could possibly tell you from the VIN. Eaton-Fuller does make 5-speeds that could possibly swap... check this list for the TO-905A, it has a 35% overdrive that can let your engine cruise at 2200 RPM doing 70 mph with typical 245-75/R22.5 tire, keeping your stock rear gears. There may be a length difference that requires driveshaft modification, however.

https://www.globaltransmissionsupply...mission-ratios

But if you have air brakes, swapping for an Eaton-Fuller 10-speed may be a better option -- they are basically a 5-speed with a high/low range splitter. Each gear is 2-3 mph in low range, 10-13 mph in high. It may help your cruising speed reach something a bit more highway-friendly. Air supply is required for the high-low splitter, however, which an air-brake vehicle already has. I've seen this swap done in Dodge Rams, I'm sure a conventional bus wouldn't be that much more difficult.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
A 10 speed would be bad ass in a school bus
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Skoolie

The line sheet says "Tremec" ESO66-7B 7SPD for transmission, I have air brakes as well. Part of the reason I bought this particular bus was to do a 2-speed swap in a couple years, the other option being a 4WD conversion. Yah I know that second one is a pricey option which I probably won't pursue unless I have severe drivetrain failure after I complete the conversion but I'm definitely looking to upgrade to a 2 speed. I have quite a few large Heavy duty truck salvage yards around (Alaska kills them but the rear diffs never die for some reason) so I've seen a few decent "used" 2 speeds for between $500 and $1000 depending on miles. Its not broke, so that'll be my "reward" for completing the conversion as I don't like waste and repurpose everything I can. Thanks for the info, always appreciate new perspectives or ideas I haven't thought of yet!
Old 11-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
A 10 speed would be bad ass in a school bus
Absolutely badass, I've searched the forums and I haven't found one yet that got swapped in. I think several people have them stock on Wanderlodges or Starliners but I haven't read a thread for a 2 speed upgrade, maybe that'll be my claim to fame?
Old 11-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligator. View Post
Cruise control worked amazing, which was great because Canada was a real dick to us. Told us we couldn't sleep in the bus and made us choose from a list of ROACH motels to stay in on the way north, warning us not to deviate from our travel plans or stay in our bus. This kinda sucks because I spent 2 days dealing with seats and making a living space for us.

Yikes! You'd think in a pandemic they'd ENCOURAGE you to isolate in your bus.

Sounds like quite a trek, and what an impressive transmission!
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Yikes! You'd think in a pandemic they'd ENCOURAGE you to isolate in your bus.

Sounds like quite a trek, and what an impressive transmission!
You would think they'd support isolating in a bus, in fact I ran my mouth to the border agent and that cost me 30 minutes and a frowning agent for the rest of our "interview".