Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Smile Peace, love, and ..."The Happy Bus"

I am just a mother of two who has decided like most that my life should mean something else other than working to live and living to work. I spend most days at my school where I am the ISS aide and it is really cool cause my eldest goes to this school so I get to keep an eye on him. Definitely more so than he would like lol.

My fiance and I were going over options about what we wanted to do after our lease ended for our apartment. His parents live out at a lake in their camper and we are around it so much that was our first option. So I started looking at campers. But they are factory made and each one mostly looks alike and it just was not for me.

I am that type of person that wants to do anything and everything I think of. I write, I read, I draw, I make more homemade food than store-bought food, I want to travel, I want to homeschool my kids, I want to be free in life.
After looking at several campers and not getting much of a reaction out of my fiance, I found the "Happy Bus". It belonged to an amazing family and their hippie ways. So naturally I fell in love with it and my fiance actually agreed and was really excited.
(Honestly, for most of the time looking for campers, I felt like I was just pulling him along on the ride of MY life, and I don't want to force him to do things just because I say so. I mean he would have to be the main driver and it would be his home too!)

We went out two weekends ago and looked at it and left the land saying it's ours. I have always thought Skoolie's were an amazing idea. And now I will get to experience it firsthand! It is a 1987 GMC with a 366 engine. The painting needs to be finished on the outside. I need lots more storage on the inside then there is but most of the interior of the vehicle will be left just the way it is to showcase the previous owner's hard work. And well because I love it.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Congratulations
You’ve caught the bus addiction.
I’ve got a ’82 GMC 5 window that was a favored bus for many years, but is now a storage container. I moved on to a ’97 BB FE, 26’ and love it.
A lot of those older conversions don’t have insulation in them.
I hope things work well for you.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Thanks Robin! The conversion itself was only done a year ago by the couple we are buying it from and they have done insulation throughout the bus. But of course I won't know how well it works myself until we are in it.

And yes Skoolie's are my new favorite addiction.
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
familyof4, gypsies in the night, happy bus, skoolie bus