Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #21
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
The biggest benefit of adding photos is that it makes it much easier for folks to understand exactly what you are doing and asking about. That helps to get down to brass tacks quickly and start a lively discussion. Good results ensue from there.
I agree! I'll be down working today so as that really big guy from the future said: "I'll be back"

IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:05 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I am more than willing to help anyone that wants to be part of the Skoolie community. There are simple things to do to get the most out of your experience here. One of those things is to become part of "the family" by introducing yourself and filling out your profile with location and bus info, so we are not guessing at a solution. When that request is made and your reply is "I am far too busy and lazy to do the user cp thing." All help from me stopped. You think none of us are busy, or not lazy, but have the time to drop what we're doing to spoon feed you the info we took months/years learning. Then you come in and complain because of the response you deserved. Good Luck with your bus adventure.

Edit: when I saw the OP it was alone on a page when I replied, not seeing 22 other posts on the next page. When I asked you to fill out your profile,you didn't say anything about having issues with the UserCP, your reply was you were too busy and lazy.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
why didnt I answer your posts for the most part? because for me it Is about busses and not "home".. your questions are about the "home" part and my interest, knowledge, and skill-set are more oriented toward the "Bus".. so if your "driving stuff" ever acts up id probably be mnost likely to try and help on those threads..

ive never raised a roof myself.. probably never will.. helped on a few but i was not involved in the design.. only to turn wrenches, install rivets, or operate jacks to level a bus..

if you are already familiar with the world of custom-fab-build you'll kn ow that theres not likely a "bolt and go" or a "I did it this is exact" how to.. even my transmission swaps that ive detailed greatly have resulted in every single person since having something different..

the internet is a SOURCE of information.. just like a reference book is but One source.. likely if you want to learn something you consult many sources.. its not an instruction manual..

as many people and as many builds are there are on this forum is excatly how many variations there are in their builds.. no 2 are alike, no 2 act the same, no 2 fit the same, to say the community sucks is pretty rash.. so should say booyah and I have gotten in your threads and said "i dont have the foggiest how to raise a roof without welds " so youd have 200 responses? or should people that have zero idea how to accomplish what you want to do and have zero interest in doing it too just not answer.. thus resultuing in "silence" I think as you put it?

ive built a lot of custom stuff over the years.. and the one thing every custom build has ion common has been MANY sources of information.. and MUCH thought and MUCH experimentation..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I am more than willing to help anyone that wants to be part of the Skoolie community. There are simple things to do to get the most out of your experience here. One of those things is to become part of "the family" by introducing yourself and filling out your profile with location and bus info, so we are not guessing at a solution. When that request is made and your reply is "I am far too busy and lazy to do the user cp thing." All help from me stopped. You think none of us are busy, or not lazy, but have the time to drop what we're doing to spoon feed you the info we took months/years learning. Then you come in and complain because of the response you deserved. Good Luck with your bus adventure.
Yes friend, "Papers please!"

You do however, have the time to chastise me. "Spoon feed?" lol.

Simply read up and you will see there is something wrong with the site, I have posted in the admin forum.

Good luck to you as well!
Old 08-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
why didnt I answer your posts for the most part? because for me it Is about busses and not "home".. your questions are about the "home" part and my interest, knowledge, and skill-set are more oriented toward the "Bus".. so if your "driving stuff" ever acts up id probably be mnost likely to try and help on those threads..

ive never raised a roof myself.. probably never will.. helped on a few but i was not involved in the design.. only to turn wrenches, install rivets, or operate jacks to level a bus..

if you are already familiar with the world of custom-fab-build you'll kn ow that theres not likely a "bolt and go" or a "I did it this is exact" how to.. even my transmission swaps that ive detailed greatly have resulted in every single person since having something different..

the internet is a SOURCE of information.. just like a reference book is but One source.. likely if you want to learn something you consult many sources.. its not an instruction manual..

as many people and as many builds are there are on this forum is excatly how many variations there are in their builds.. no 2 are alike, no 2 act the same, no 2 fit the same, to say the community sucks is pretty rash.. so should say booyah and I have gotten in your threads and said "i dont have the foggiest how to raise a roof without welds " so youd have 200 responses? or should people that have zero idea how to accomplish what you want to do and have zero interest in doing it too just not answer.. thus resultuing in "silence" I think as you put it?

ive built a lot of custom stuff over the years.. and the one thing every custom build has ion common has been MANY sources of information.. and MUCH thought and MUCH experimentation..

Yes, "surprisingly silent" was what I said, as I was quoting someone else. I also capped it off by saying "That's their business and I respect that"

I also mentioned how much help many of the veterans of this site have been in their own threads and how grateful I was, just like I mentioned that my complaints were only targeted towards those who had given me beef -and not to those who haven't been active in my threads.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #26
Almost There

Quote:

Edit: when I saw the OP it was alone on a page when I replied, not seeing 22 other posts on the next page. When I asked you to fill out your profile,you didn't say anything about having issues with the UserCP, your reply was you were too busy and lazy.

Yes my friend I am not here to quarrel. You were originally the ONLY person to have answered my question as I have been seeking answers awhile in many places. For that I thanked you and would've been grateful to continue the conversation and learn from you.

However, you decided to react as you did and that is your business. You decided to take it personally which seems silly to me but to each his own.

Imagine where we would be if only we would've conversed like two human beings! At least, that's how I feel. Again, to each his own.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:32 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
Yes my friend I am not here to quarrel. You were originally the ONLY person to have answered my question as I have been seeking answers awhile in many places. For that I thanked you and would've been grateful to continue the conversation and learn from you.

However, you decided to react as you did and that is your business. You decided to take it personally which seems silly to me but to each his own.

Imagine where we would be if only we would've conversed like two human beings! At least, that's how I feel. Again, to each his own.
You asked for help, I responded with a helpful response. I asked for help, your response was not what induced further help from me.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #28
Almost There

Quote:
You asked for help, I responded with a helpful response. I asked for help, your response was not what induced further help from me.
And that's your right, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I am just trying to clarify it was meant as no personal offense to you, nor would I expect others to do the same for me to help them.

Thank you again for your help, as I was in dire straits at the time
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #29
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
Starting off like this is a terrible idea: Perhaps I am wrong but I have had nothing but bad experience from the community here.

Why is everything about you so far? What have you done for the community that deserves help? Have you taken time to read through and respond to others when they need help? Do you have anything to offer? If not, it seems to me like being disappointed that your exact answers are not being addressed is very selfish and entitled.
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKS View Post
Starting off like this is a terrible idea: Perhaps I am wrong but I have had nothing but bad experience from the community here.

Why is everything about you so far? What have you done for the community that deserves help? Have you taken time to read through and respond to others when they need help? Do you have anything to offer? If not, it seems to me like being disappointed that your exact answers are not being addressed is very selfish and entitled.
And maybe you are right, as I said "perhaps I am wrong".

I would not consider myself qualified to be advising others on most things, so no. The direct answer is that I do not have anything to offer in that respect.

However, I would not gauge helping someone on how much I judged they "deserved it", unless they were a real butt about it!

Perhaps thats me, but I don't think so.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:53 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
... my threads seem to rarely get commented on....
I didn't see too many threads started by you, but the roof raise one was commented on by almost EVERY active poster who has experience in this space. Since I know little to nothing about roof raises, I'm no help and just blew by your post. I do the same for transmission questions and a couple of other categories I'm not interested in because they don't matter for my build.

We all have our unique interests for being here. Some have expertise, or at least a little knowledge.

Sometimes people with interest and no knowledge or expertise post answers; sometimes people with lots of expertise don't. The Internet is like that.

It's not about you.

Except, you kind of made it about you (sorry for that). So now this post is more about you and your expectations than about the point you were trying to make. The Internet is like that.

So let's try to make lemonade from this.

This forum is a running conversation, and you are in the middle of it. You are also doing a coversion, correct? I'm sure there's some knowledge or expertise you can share. We all started out like you. I joined last year in May, right after I bought my shuttle bus. My first contribution was about my experience with trickle chargers. My second contribution was about under-floor insulation (terrible idea in my opinion). I just went from there, asking questions, joining in the conversation, sharing what I could. As I continued with the conversion I gained more knowledge, and could contribute more (opinions mainly). Still, I think that's how it's done.

Post something about what you've learned so far. But recognize no one may comment. People will comment if it has immediate interest for them, or they feel the need to discuss it (or argue), but that is a will-o-the-wisp.

Ask a specific question. What are you working on that you need help with? State the ask for help. But recognize no one may comment. People will comment if they have advice and feel compelled to post. Others may post opinions that don't really help. But with luck, those that have the expertise and willingness to respond will help you move forward like they did on your roof-raise post.

Remember that every time someone replies, they took time out of their day to sit at a keyboard, think about your question, and contribute in their own way. Think of those replies as a gift. Some are fantastic, well-thought, insightful. Others not so much. Some people are having a bad day, or year, or life and hand out a pile of snarky doo-doo wrapped in newspaper and flung at your feet. The Internet is like that, and you have tools to deal with them-block them, or blow right by being the primary methods.

I'm not sure you can ask for much more than that.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #32
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I didn't see too many threads started by you, but the roof raise one was commented on by almost EVERY active poster who has experience in this space. Since I know little to nothing about roof raises, I'm no help and just blew by your post. I do the same for transmission questions and a couple of other categories I'm not interested in because they don't matter for my build.

We all have our unique interests for being here. Some have expertise, or at least a little knowledge.

Sometimes people with interest and no knowledge or expertise post answers; sometimes people with lots of expertise don't. The Internet is like that.

It's not about you.

Except, you kind of made it about you (sorry for that). So now this post is more about you and your expectations than about the point you were trying to make. The Internet is like that.

So let's try to make lemonade from this.

This forum is a running conversation, and you are in the middle of it. You are also doing a coversion, correct? I'm sure there's some knowledge or expertise you can share. We all started out like you. I joined last year in May, right after I bought my shuttle bus. My first contribution was about my experience with trickle chargers. My second contribution was about under-floor insulation (terrible idea in my opinion). I just went from there, asking questions, joining in the conversation, sharing what I could. As I continued with the conversion I gained more knowledge, and could contribute more (opinions mainly). Still, I think that's how it's done.

Post something about what you've learned so far. But recognize no one may comment. People will comment if it has immediate interest for them, or they feel the need to discuss it (or argue), but that is a will-o-the-wisp.

Ask a specific question. What are you working on that you need help with? State the ask for help. But recognize no one may comment. People will comment if they have advice and feel compelled to post. Others may post opinions that don't really help. But with luck, those that have the expertise and willingness to respond will help you move forward like they did on your roof-raise post.

Remember that every time someone replies, they took time out of their day to sit at a keyboard, think about your question, and contribute in their own way. Think of those replies as a gift. Some are fantastic, well-thought, insightful. Others not so much. Some people are having a bad day, or year, or life and hand out a pile of snarky doo-doo wrapped in newspaper and flung at your feet. The Internet is like that, and you have tools to deal with them-block them, or blow right by being the primary methods.

I'm not sure you can ask for much more than that.
Yeah I totally agree, my "gripe" wasn't really about not getting commenters it was about the attitude that people had when they would not even contribute to the conversation. I also stated plainly my gratitude for all those who I have already learned from over the years (mostly before I owned a bus and joined the site).

One person here recommended pictures and that really got me thinking about just trying to do a build thread where I can be more detailed and make it easier for people to get the low down and contribute

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Definitely recommend the build thread. It lets us know a little about you, and your process thus far, design ideas, goals, etc.

Honestly, if I come across a help thread and it's one of the person's first posts, and they don't have a build thread, I doubt I'll respond. The only reason forums and communities work is by having active contribution of it's members. In my eyes, if you can't take the time to create a build thread, you show no interest in being an actual part of the community, and the odds of you contributing anything back is very low.

No contributions = no community. I'm here to learn as much as I am to teach.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #34
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Definitely recommend the build thread. It lets us know a little about you, and your process thus far, design ideas, goals, etc.

Honestly, if I come across a help thread and it's one of the person's first posts, and they don't have a build thread, I doubt I'll respond. The only reason forums and communities work is by having active contribution of it's members. In my eyes, if you can't take the time to create a build thread, you show no interest in being an actual part of the community, and the odds of you contributing anything back is very low.

No contributions = no community. I'm here to learn as much as I am to teach.
I can understand what you mean, I think it will be fun to give it a try. A lot of you guys have been really cool, so I'm look forward to it
Old 08-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #35
Bus Geek

I think you have the point, lets close this thread and get on with our builds.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Upvote for a build thread. That's really what we've all here for anyways so I say let's move on and move forward. In addition to providing progress pics that's a great place to share what is your goal with the build. You mentioned before about this being a full-time living proposition for you so the full-timers among us will have plenty of insight and experience to offer there.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #37
Almost There

Quote:
I think you have the point, lets close this thread and get on with our builds.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #38
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Upvote for a build thread. That's really what we've all here for anyways so I say let's move on and move forward. In addition to providing progress pics that's a great place to share what is your goal with the build. You mentioned before about this being a full-time living proposition for you so the full-timers among us will have plenty of insight and experience to offer there.
Well said, looking forward to it
Old 09-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Other than 01marc, who can't help anyone with anything, most people here go out of their way and waste their time to help people. I'm pretty much done with it.

The answer to a roof raise, is don't do one. Get another vehicle that doesn't need the roof raised. It is pretty simple. But what I find is most people are looking for the answer they want, not what is truely helpful, and don't appreciate anything other than cheerleading affirmation of their poor decisions.

The forum is full of delusional people not wanting to face reality, which is clearly the case building an old worn out 40ft school bus into a motorhome as a 'cheap' or 'easy' way to get 'freedom'. Freedom is not having a burden to carry. What is more burdensome than a 40ft long 30,000lb house on wheels that is hugely expensive to keep moving around. Get a tent trailer. See the youtube channel of a guy who lives in his Prius with his dog. That is freedom. See cheaprvliving channel too, where people are not stuck in a rut thinking a school bus is the only answer.

btw, thanks for the opportunity to speak up.
bbtw, I'm spending my time lately building a $400 electric trike with a motor I made of out of a free golfcart and free microwave ovens and free prius batteries.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Back from "vacation" and already stirring the pot.