Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Other than 01marc, who can't help anyone with anything, most people here go out of their way and waste their time to help people. I'm pretty much done with it.

The answer to a roof raise, is don't do one. Get another vehicle that doesn't need the roof raised. It is pretty simple. But what I find is most people are looking for the answer they want, not what is truely helpful, and don't appreciate anything other than cheerleading affirmation of their poor decisions.

The forum is full of delusional people not wanting to face reality, which is clearly the case building an old worn out 40ft school bus into a motorhome as a 'cheap' or 'easy' way to get 'freedom'. Freedom is not having a burden to carry. What is more burdensome than a 40ft long 30,000lb house on wheels that is hugely expensive to keep moving around. Get a tent trailer. See the youtube channel of a guy who lives in his Prius with his dog. That is freedom. See cheaprvliving channel too, where people are not stuck in a rut thinking a school bus is the only answer.

btw, thanks for the opportunity to speak up.
bbtw, I'm spending my time lately building a $400 electric trike with a motor I made of out of a free golfcart and free microwave ovens and free prius batteries.

well SO-RRY!!! I happen to Love school busses.. while I have no interest in living in one and my idea of camping is hanging out at the fire-pit of an Aloft hotel .. Ok maybe my idea of Camping is a Fleetwood motorhome.. nevertheless I love busses.. so i play with them.. and they give me the FREEDOM to work from wherever whenever.. and still enjoy Nice restaraunt meals without the Freezing cold dining halls the place seem to create..

so yeah the busses represent freedom for me.. no burden to me.. its taken me all summer to paint my Superior.. big deal i work on it when I WANT to... if a bus breaks i drive another one.. or just drive my pickup truck thats always under warranty..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #42

Year: 2003
NO loss without some small gain!

Your post, and the responses, made me realize that my profile was sorely lacking. Added pics and some details today.

Our bus is only barely out of the demolition stage, and we're lurking in a lot of threads soaking up all the knowledge we can find. (Thank you everyone who shares!)
LoisWade42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
The forum is full of delusional people not wanting to face reality, which is clearly the case building an old worn out 40ft school bus into a motorhome as a 'cheap' or 'easy' way to get 'freedom'. Freedom is not having a burden to carry. What is more burdensome than a 40ft long 30,000lb house on wheels that is hugely expensive to keep moving around. Get a tent trailer. See the youtube channel of a guy who lives in his Prius with his dog. That is freedom. See cheaprvliving channel too, where people are not stuck in a rut thinking a school bus is the only answer.

Good fellow Mr Nimble
I feel like you entirely miss the point of why a large percentage of us are here discussing and doing what we are doing: for the challenge and the fun of it. Many of us actually enjoy taking an old chunk of steel and playing around with it. I assure you, from my vantage point of playing with a steel project an old school bus is a far more appealing prospect than playing with an old motorhome.

If it ever caused me dread or anxiety I'd have dropped it a long time ago, but I find these beasts to be a treat to fix, tinker with and build out. Not everyone will.

I see you like to play with old refrigerators; putting in extra effort to make them precisely as you want. Is there anything wrong with it? Nope. As long as you enjoy how you're spending your time.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Other than 01marc, who can't help anyone with anything, most people here go out of their way and waste their time to help people. I'm pretty much done with it.

The forum is full of delusional people not wanting to face reality, which is clearly the case building an old worn out 40ft school bus into a motorhome as a 'cheap' or 'easy' way to get 'freedom'.
While your continued anti-skoolie presence on a skoolie forum remains a mystery, you're not wrong about 'cheap' and 'easy' - building a skoolie is neither of these things.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
While your continued anti-skoolie presence on a skoolie forum remains a mystery, you're not wrong about 'cheap' and 'easy' - building a skoolie is neither of these things.
I’m right along with your thoughts MG !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: MicroBird
Engine: 7.3L powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
Good advice! Maybe I'll pull out the old camera in the junk drawer and get more serious about doing a build thread. Thanks!
I think this tells me more about the real issue here, better than all the other banter back and forth. If in 2021 your best camera is in a junk drawer and not in your cellphone?, then accept ALL the technological help that is offered and give up your bullish ways....

Best of luck
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
My bus gives me all the freedom I want. (at least until the tranny died, but that could happen in any vehicle, and that will get fixed)

NO other vehicle would suffice. No prius will hold the volume and weight of the stuff I "need" for "my idea of freedom".

YOUR idea may be to have less stuff....then get a sheet, wrap yourself in it, get a bowl, and go walk the earth begging for food as Buddha says. Give up everything. Hold on to nothing. Do nothing but eat and meditate. You will be far more free than anyone else not doing the same thing.

If I wanted to be "free-er" I would ditch all vehicles, and everything I need would be in my 1980s exterior-frame backpack. HMMMM...can I get rid of the tent?....yea, if I walk south....then maybe the sleeping bag, too....and the coat and sweater....and .....wait, I don't need that backpack ..... Just make it to Hawai'i and eat food right off the trees and sleep in the sand on the beach .... like a lot of folks do.

Some "prevert" old-guy tourist ditched his family on the other side of the island one day and came to the nude beach where I would hang out, cause he "heard lots of naked young girls come there". There I was, nude, with a drum and whatever, doing nothing.

He asked "is that all you do with your life, sit here on the beach all day and play your drum?" with a "disapproving" tone.

"Yep". Of course it was my day off, and I work for myself, likely a whole lot harder and longer than his "office" or "factory" job made him work. I just wanted to pull his....
He just looked at me and shook his head and walked away.

I, personally, would be bored being "free" of burdens. I like to be "productive". I like hiking the mountains when it is raining, freezing, as well as sunny and nice (hot weather can go to hell, though). That means having my stuff, my tools, my camping gear, a lifetime of clothes, a nice stereo sound system for the down-times, and more.

Show me a Prius that will haul two tons of stuff. Yep. 4000+ pounds.
Not even a full-size pickup with a camper.

Box-truck? that sucks. Gotta get out to get to your living space. Been there, done that, it sucks.
Motor Home? HA HA

BeNimble, are you a Taurus? What happens to all the projects you hit head on so hard, and show us here, and then they go ..... where? I was impressed back then. Now I just laugh at the foolishness.....thinking you know what's best for me, or anyone else.

I'll take my 20-year old vehicle (generally any 20-year old vehicle at any point in time is fine with me) with its solid body, and good motor. It's actually cheaper than any other option I looked at.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Yikes! What's with all the anti-skoolie vitriol? I hate to resurrect that old adage but it's starting to sound like this forum could use a little of "if you can't say something nice...". And if you don't know the difference between constructive criticism and trolling please err on the side of caution. It seems to me this community like much of society is heading for a cliff of self-destruction. Hopefully we can rise above.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I don't think anyone noticed, but this guy just came off a 30 day ban. Don't even know why he's here, as he doesn't own or want a bus. My guess is if he continues with this attitude, he won't be here long.

BeNimble, I have over 200 Thank You PM's here for my help, how many do you have?
Old 09-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #50
Skoolie

IC08

Ya did good with thread.

You got all sorts of responses to your original post!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #51
Almost There

Quote:

The answer to a roof raise, is don't do one. Get another vehicle that doesn't need the roof raised. It is pretty simple. But what I find is most people are looking for the answer they want, not what is truely helpful, and don't appreciate anything other than cheerleading affirmation of their poor decisions.

btw, thanks for the opportunity to speak up.
bbtw, I'm spending my time lately building a $400 electric trike with a motor I made of out of a free golfcart and free microwave ovens and free prius batteries.

I can totally agree with many points you made and if my lifestyle was a little different tenting, vans and rv's would be a much simpler and cheaper solution. I don't plan on traveling much so the skoolie pretty much did it for me. Besides, its a metalworker's dream (nightmare) and I've been learning a lot.

Since I posted this I've got in contact with some amazing people and I started a build thread and am having lots of fun, and I hope you didn't think any of the negative things I said were aimed at you -as we've never spoken.

Feel free to speak up anytime on my threads! I can't wait for the day I'll be able to do projects like the one you're doing, getting the skoolie is part one of all that for me.
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:47 PM   #52
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
I think this tells me more about the real issue here, better than all the other banter back and forth. If in 2021 your best camera is in a junk drawer and not in your cellphone?, then accept ALL the technological help that is offered and give up your bullish ways....

Best of luck
I actually didn't even have a camera in the junk drawer! Couldn't find it anywhere. Also, I've never paid more than $80 for a phone -though they do have cameras. Mine ended up in the toilet a week or so ago and I just haven't needed a new one yet.

My ideal life would probably be amish, just saying. Technology either works for you, or you for it. I see a lot of that in today's world.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #53
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
IC08

Ya did good with thread.

You got all sorts of responses to your original post!
Honestly I'm glad I did! Conflict isn't always a bad thing and I won't take anything personally from anyone who doesn't know me personally.

A favorite quote of mine: "Do not take part in the unfruitful acts of darkness, but rather expose them!"
Old 09-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #54
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWade42 View Post
NO loss without some small gain!

Your post, and the responses, made me realize that my profile was sorely lacking. Added pics and some details today.

Our bus is only barely out of the demolition stage, and we're lurking in a lot of threads soaking up all the knowledge we can find. (Thank you everyone who shares!)
Start a build thread, lots of fun! I am an accomplished lurker as well too afraid to chime in about things I don't know yet but always learning
Old 09-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
LoisWade's is teamed up with MelWade, check out thier build thread here:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/f...-re-36326.html
They're are doing nice work. Raised using the same threaded rod method, as yours. (Doing well, also.)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:33 AM   #56
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
LoisWade's is teamed up with MelWade, check out thier build thread here:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/f...-re-36326.html
They're are doing nice work. Raised using the same threaded rod method, as yours. (Doing well, also.)
Thanks good call, I think that puts me at about 5 threads I'm reading now hah. At least you're never bored in skoolie world
Old 09-05-2021, 04:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKS View Post
Starting off like this is a terrible idea: Perhaps I am wrong but I have had nothing but bad experience from the community here.

Why is everything about you so far? What have you done for the community that deserves help? Have you taken time to read through and respond to others when they need help? Do you have anything to offer? If not, it seems to me like being disappointed that your exact answers are not being addressed is very selfish and entitled.

I am a long time lurker and a salty individual. I’m amazed at the amount of time and effort people put forth in this forum. It’s one of the reasons I don’t ever post. I feel as if so many people here pour their hearts and souls into helping everyone, including newbs (like myself).

OP, this isn’t a customer service situation where you get to talk to customer service or a manager about how dissatisfied you are. This is a forum of people who take the time and energy to share their experiences with others. You are owed nothing and you are a guest amongst some of the (literally) world’s greatest Skoolie builders.

Take that for what it’s worth. Calling out an entire forum because of your experience is a fool’s errand and I am remarkably surprised about how nice everyone is being to you. You should be thanking everyone posting a response, first and foremost.

Similarly, calling out/blaming forum admin is inappropriate and unacceptable. People don’t drive this forum to cater to your every need and question. You don’t pay a dime for this knowledge base and the kindness of people who frequent this site. You are entitled to nothing from this forum and nothing from the people who administer and contribute.

I read through 3 pages of some of the kindest, most knowledgeable people in the Skoolie community and your responses and am appalled at your entitlement and the blaming/excuses you’ve portrayed.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but start over.
E_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I think the OP is suitably admonished and the rest of this thread has just become another opportunity for infighting among the forum. IC08 started a build thread and is addressing with the admin whatever technical issue is preventing filling out the User Profile. I kind of hoped at that point this thread would have gone inactive but that's just not how the internet really works.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #59
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_13 View Post
I am a long time lurker and a salty individual. I’m amazed at the amount of time and effort people put forth in this forum. It’s one of the reasons I don’t ever post. I feel as if so many people here pour their hearts and souls into helping everyone, including newbs (like myself).

OP, this isn’t a customer service situation where you get to talk to customer service or a manager about how dissatisfied you are. This is a forum of people who take the time and energy to share their experiences with others. You are owed nothing and you are a guest amongst some of the (literally) world’s greatest Skoolie builders.

Take that for what it’s worth. Calling out an entire forum because of your experience is a fool’s errand and I am remarkably surprised about how nice everyone is being to you. You should be thanking everyone posting a response, first and foremost.

Similarly, calling out/blaming forum admin is inappropriate and unacceptable. People don’t drive this forum to cater to your every need and question. You don’t pay a dime for this knowledge base and the kindness of people who frequent this site. You are entitled to nothing from this forum and nothing from the people who administer and contribute.

I read through 3 pages of some of the kindest, most knowledgeable people in the Skoolie community and your responses and am appalled at your entitlement and the blaming/excuses you’ve portrayed.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but start over.
I probably have thanked everyone who's helped in literally every reply I've made as well as in my original post. I would have to disagree that I have acted entitled or anything and have directly stated already that those who wish to not comment on my threads are owed that right plainly.

The people that I "blamed" since making this post, I have made amends with and I'm happy I did. Though I would agree that since posting when I said I "have had nothing but a bad experience" has changed dramatically. I'm not sure what excuses you're referring to but thats okay.

I know many people are quite tired of this thread, but I'm loving it! If we don't air out our grievances once in a while (and I'm speaking for everyone including myself) then they eat us up inside. There's nothing wrong with telling it how you feel it is even if you're wrong. How else would you find out you're wrong?

You ever hear that phrase about anything before and after the word but? Everything is fine my dude, thanks for your input regardless.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #60
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
IC08,
It seems E_13 has shown up late, yet still felt the need to kick you. Odd to me, as you've faced a virtual mob,
conquered the camera drawer, notified site admin.... you are really making amends & moving forward. Even, started a build thread to contribute to us all.

Looking at E_13's pervious posts, registry, photos, user profile...
Case of the pot calling the kettle...
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote