Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2021, 12:09 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Perhaps I am wrong

Perhaps I am wrong but I have had nothing but bad experience from the community here. Of course, I am referring to only the small group of people who have replied to my threads. Some of which have actually been helpful, if not a tad salty for reasons I don't understand

I have learned much from many old posts that I have been reading for probably 4 years now and still refer to them everyday, and for that I am truly grateful. I wouldn't have made it this far if the veterans here hadn't taken the time to speculate on many issues and offer their ideas and advice.

For those people who truly wish to help and offer their wisdom: Thank you.

However, my threads seem to rarely get commented on. I am left scouring all corners of the internet for answers regarding many things and it has been very stressful. Of course this is nobodies fault, someone had to do this first and it was my personal choice to pursue this route.

In the end I can't help but opine the glory days which I have never known. I really thought this was a place I could lean on and perhaps even enjoy myself maybe one day becoming a veteran myself, but I have been left disappointed.

I would just like to leave my two cents, take it or leave it, that we are here to attempt very dangerous work -and many of us for the first time. That we are all chasing a lifestyle goal that is different for all of us but in many ways the same.

We are seeking perhaps, financial freedom. The means to build our own home. The ability to travel or perhaps just experience nature in ways that are not currently possible. We are learning, working, trying and failing and whether we realize it or not its an opportunity to become a new person.

I have no intention of offending anyone, but this IS the internet so I'm sure I will.

To the good people out there: Thank you for blazing the trails, for sharing your wisdom, and for giving me a new journey in life. An affordable dream. This is not about busses for me, its about home. Its about fulfillment, and without you I would be doing anything else right now, and probably wasting my time.

Be well everyone, and best wishes towards your life goals.

IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 824
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Well a quick browse of your post history and you've at least twice rebuffed requests to tell the community anything about yourself or your vehicle via your User CP, instead burdening others to have to research all your posts to try to piece together enough about you through them to offer any meaningful advice. You say you want an online community that is friendly and helpful yet you seem to want to remain anonymous. I think part of problem might be you.

Another factor that's often annoying to this community is when new members ask the same newb questions almost all newbs ask instead of taking the time to perform a simple search for the topic having already been discussed ad nauseam. This doesn't sound like you but I mention it because it can be frustrating to those of us who've seen the same topic titles so often that we just begin skipping past them, then new members get the impression the community is unhelpful which is just not the case. This is perhaps one of THE most helpful AND the most heavily invested online communities I've ever seen but many here simply don't have time anymore to suffer lazy members who want the whole community to spoon feed them instead of doing any homework for themselves.

Hope this offers a little insight into the community perspective from the 'old farts' point of view. For what its worth, if you've already invested enough homework and now work-work that you're in the midst of a roof raise, it sounds like you're already well established as one of us so why not bite the bullet and fill out that User CP.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 561
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Well stated, Sehnsucht.
Ditto.
All that.



Help us help to you, IC08. The answer you seek, is shorter than the responses already written. You'll only get what you give.

Tit for tat means: No tit, No tat.

Laughing off our request, while expecting us take your request seriously....
(your replies in previous threads)
Well, the normal human responses are "ha-ha-ha, , and crickets"

Your stubbornness is standing in the way of your progress. Just, fill out your User Profile.
__________________
Frederick Douglass:
ďTo suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker. It is just as criminal to rob a man of his right to speak and hear as it would be to rob him of his money.Ē
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Well a quick browse of your post history and you've at least twice rebuffed requests to tell the community anything about yourself or your vehicle via your User CP, instead burdening others to have to research all your posts to try to piece together enough about you through them to offer any meaningful advice. You say you want an online community that is friendly and helpful yet you seem to want to remain anonymous. I think part of problem might be you.

Another factor that's often annoying to this community is when new members ask the same newb questions almost all newbs ask instead of taking the time to perform a simple search for the topic having already been discussed ad nauseam. This doesn't sound like you but I mention it because it can be frustrating to those of us who've seen the same topic titles so often that we just begin skipping past them, then new members get the impression the community is unhelpful which is just not the case. This is perhaps one of THE most helpful AND the most heavily invested online communities I've ever seen but many here simply don't have time anymore to suffer lazy members who want the whole community to spoon feed them instead of doing any homework for themselves.

Hope this offers a little insight into the community perspective from the 'old farts' point of view. For what its worth, if you've already invested enough homework and now work-work that you're in the midst of a roof raise, it sounds like you're already well established as one of us so why not bite the bullet and fill out that User CP.
Can you please quote my "newbie questions" for me? because instead of ever answering my questions its all about this usercp profile which I have multiple times tried to fill out with nothing but website errors. It is quite annoying, as I have relayed all the necessary information to my questions through my posts and would be willing to answer any actual questions with gusto.

The questions I have been asking are not newbie questions. I have literally scoured this website and many others while exhausting nearly every youtube I can find. Currently I am searching for answers about the safety of my entire roof support. While I may be over-thinking it, it could result in the entire collapse of my roof. I have not only searched here, but in welding forums and everywhere else I can find.

I would refer you to my post above, which clearly is directed towards you.

We are human beings. We CAN simply talk with each other.

Thanks.
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Well stated, Sehnsucht.
Ditto.
All that.



Help us help to you, IC08. The answer you seek, is shorter than the responses already written. You'll only get what you give.

Tit for tat means: No tit, No tat.

Laughing off our request, while expecting us take your request seriously....
Well, the normal human responses are "ha-ha-ha, , and (crickets)"

Your stubbornness is standing in the way of your progress. Just, fill out your User Profile.

I believe you're the one who said "My a$$ is so smart do it your own way without help" in a private comment.

You would sound much wiser and kinder by simply being honest about how you feel where all your little friends can see.

I literally made this entire post because of your rude message.

Thank you once again to everyone who simply has no interest in skoolie conversions.

Before you mention the usercp info AGAIN, let me reiterate. I have received website errors for 2 days now trying to fill it out.

Have a nice day.
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 1,028
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
This doesn't sound like you but I mention it because it can be frustrating to those of us who've seen the same topic titles so often that we just begin skipping past them, then new members get the impression the community is unhelpful which is just not the case.

I guess you skipped over the part where he said this doesn’t sound like you?
There is a learning curve here but it’s not that steep.
As Demac said, it’s a two way street.
Good luck with your build
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
This doesn't sound like you but I mention it because it can be frustrating to those of us who've seen the same topic titles so often that we just begin skipping past them, then new members get the impression the community is unhelpful which is just not the case.

I guess you skipped over the part where he said this doesnít sound like you?
There is a learning curve here but itís not that steep.
As Demac said, itís a two way street.
Good luck with your build
Yes perhaps I didn't read that part and I apologize. However in attempting to fill out my usercp info the website has failed me, therefore I instead added my information to the "registry" where a kind gentlemen greeted me and began to offer me helpful information so I feel as I should mention that.

Of course if we have the time to speak like this and chastise one another, do we not have the time to simply ask for clarification? Many of the most useful posts from years back that I have referred to also did not have their usercp filled out, but I have yet to find anyone complaining of this in those threads.

It is just about the same as checking out at walmart and being told "papers please"

A conversation is a two way street, I agree. The issue is those who take the time to chastise instead of focusing on the intended purpose of the conversation.

If this does not sound like you, then again, I apologize.
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 824
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
This doesn't sound like you ...
I don't know how to be any clearer. Yes I replied to you but also wanted to offer a broad response for future reference.

Now if you're having technical difficulty with the site that's a whole other issue. Let's try to tackle that.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I don't know how to be any clearer. Yes I replied to you but also wanted to offer a broad response for future reference.

Now if you're having technical difficulty with the site that's a whole other issue. Let's try to tackle that.
Gladly, thank you.

I click on "usercp" then "edit your details" after filling out model make and all that it says something like "login credentials expired"

Now I know you're not a site admin, but am I at least in the right area?
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 824
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
Gladly, thank you.

I click on "usercp" then "edit your details" after filling out model make and all that it says something like "login credentials expired"

Now I know you're not a site admin, but am I at least in the right area?
Yup, you're in the right area. I just tried a small edit to mine and got the Session has Expired message as well so it's not just you. Please contact a site admin for assistance with that part. I don't know if it makes a difference whether using a mobile browser or if pop-up blockers or anything like that effects the site's performance. It must have worked for me at some point that I got my info posted but it certainly doesn't work for me at the moment.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Yup, you're in the right area. I just tried a small edit to mine and got the Session has Expired message as well so it's not just you. Please contact a site admin for assistance with that part. I don't know if it makes a difference whether using a mobile browser or if pop-up blockers or anything like that effects the site's performance. It must have worked for me at some point that I got my info posted but it certainly doesn't work for me at the moment.
Thanks for checking! I'll let the admins know and hopefully get it fixed soon.

Now if only I could start finding the answers I need!
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 128
Coachwork: Busless for now
I had the same issue. "Session Expired."

I logged out and then back in. Tried a simple edit and it worked.

Hope this helps.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
I had the same issue. "Session Expired."

I logged out and then back in. Tried a simple edit and it worked.

Hope this helps.
Well, that helped get me through but now it says

"you have entered an invalid MSN handle"

I didn't fill out any of the IM handles, though, because I don't have any.

Does anyone know if one is required?
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 2,657
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
A quick look through your posts shows most are centered around roof raises, back decks, and this thread here.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more of a help. But I have no experience with roof raises or back decks, and I really lack the desire to gain that experience in order to help you. There are others here who have experience in those fields, and if they're surprisingly silent on it, I'll leave it to them to explain why.

You're not the first person to have a bad experience here. But in all those cases, I've yet to fault the long time members for that happening FWIW. I like to think we're an accommodating bunch, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I think it's uncalled for receiving "My a$$ is so smart do it your own way without help" in a private message, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see both sides of the story, as I'm sure there IS two sides to that story.
__________________
My build: The Silver Bullet https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...llet-9266.html
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 128
Coachwork: Busless for now
Nope. I don't have ANY handles entered. Not sure what to tell you on that other than make sure all those fields are empty.

Good Luck.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #16
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Communist State of New Jersey
Posts: 459
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Couple things.

A good reason a lot of folks wouldn't respond to your questions about roof raises would likely be because they haven't done one. If you had asked about shortening I'd have been all over it because I cut off the rear 7 feet of my bus last summer when you were asking about roof raises. I've done shortening, haven't done roof raise, got nothing to contribute which is probably that same as the majority of the folks on the forum.

Another reason folks may not respond to your threads is you don't post pictures. Trust me on this, you'll get a lot more interest in your threads if you include pictures of what you're doing. I've seen that in my own threads and it's a consistent characteristic of folks REGARDLESS of the forum. People are visual and if you show them a picture you'll have them. If you want people to respond GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO LOOK AT. (The caps aren't indicating yelling, they're indicating emphasis )

If you decide to be butt-hurt and take your blocks and leave that's your choice . . . I wouldn't. I'd say (and I've done it on other forums) "I'm not leaving and nobody is going to chase me away."
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #17
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
A quick look through your posts shows most are centered around roof raises, back decks, and this thread here.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more of a help. But I have no experience with roof raises or back decks, and I really lack the desire to gain that experience in order to help you. There are others here who have experience in those fields, and if they're surprisingly silent on it, I'll leave it to them to explain why.

You're not the first person to have a bad experience here. But in all those cases, I've yet to fault the long time members for that happening FWIW. I like to think we're an accommodating bunch, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I think it's uncalled for receiving "My a$$ is so smart do it your own way without help" in a private message, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see both sides of the story, as I'm sure there IS two sides to that story.
As in every case that is true! There are two sides to every story. I simply mentioned it here publicly because I also felt it was uncalled for. If you think someone truly deserves to be insulted, you won't whisper it!

Thank you for looking in to my situation as well, and its no fault of yours that we have different goals of course! It is still commendable that you would post your thoughts rather than scrolling on.

I tried in my original post to express my sincere gratitude to the many good people on this site as much as I could, even though if they are as you say "surprisingly silent" -which is their business and I respect that.
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Couple things.

A good reason a lot of folks wouldn't respond to your questions about roof raises would likely be because they haven't done one. If you had asked about shortening I'd have been all over it because I cut off the rear 7 feet of my bus last summer when you were asking about roof raises. I've done shortening, haven't done roof raise, got nothing to contribute which is probably that same as the majority of the folks on the forum.

Another reason folks may not respond to your threads is you don't post pictures. Trust me on this, you'll get a lot more interest in your threads if you include pictures of what you're doing. I've seen that in my own threads and it's a consistent characteristic of folks REGARDLESS of the forum. People are visual and if you show them a picture you'll have them. If you want people to respond GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO LOOK AT. (The caps aren't indicating yelling, they're indicating emphasis )

If you decide to be butt-hurt and take your blocks and leave that's your choice . . . I wouldn't. I'd say (and I've done it on other forums) "I'm not leaving and nobody is going to chase me away."
Good advice! Maybe I'll pull out the old camera in the junk drawer and get more serious about doing a build thread. Thanks!
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #19
Almost There
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
Nope. I don't have ANY handles entered. Not sure what to tell you on that other than make sure all those fields are empty.

Good Luck.
Back to the admins then lol, Thanks again!
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #20
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 128
Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
Good advice! Maybe I'll pull out the old camera in the junk drawer and get more serious about doing a build thread. Thanks!
The biggest benefit of adding photos is that it makes it much easier for folks to understand exactly what you are doing and asking about. That helps to get down to brass tacks quickly and start a lively discussion. Good results ensue from there.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.