Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Place to build in Northern New Jersey?

Hi Everyone!

I discovered skoolie living about 2 years ago after watching Expedition Happiness on Netflix lol! I've always wanted to travel freely but never knew how until I found skoolie life. Anyway after dreaming about this for a couple years, I am now ready to take the steps to make it a reality, but the first step is finding a place to build.

I'm in my final year of college, still living at home and I have no space to build on our property. I also don't know anyone with extra land. I've been looking at U-HAULs and other storage facilities however they come out to $300+ a month!!! I can't imagine paying that much while trying to simultaneously save money for my build.

I was wondering if any of you know any cheaper alternatives or if you know anyone willing to rent out a spot in their yard for me to do my build. Hoping to start sometime within Spring of 2021. I live in Bergen County NJ so definitely looking for a place within that area so I don't have to travel too far. Also, I'm planning on building a short cutaway skoolie so it won't be *too* much space.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'm excited to be apart of the community

handtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Welcome into the rabbit hole! I will be working on my bus at a friend's in Newburgh NY. If that seems feasible to you, I can ask if he's willing to have a shorty.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Just looked it up and Newburgh is a little over an hour from me, so it would be too much to travel back and forth. Thanks so much for the offer though and good luck with your build queen!!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtowel View Post
Just looked it up and Newburgh is a little over an hour from me, so it would be too much to travel back and forth. Thanks so much for the offer though and good luck with your build queen!!
Well, that kind of commute will either break you or motivate you to work 18 hour days. My first spot was 35 minutes away and it broke me; happily it's now parked 15 minutes from my house and I can drive it to my house to work on it (which I do most days).
Old 11-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2004
Chassis: CE200
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Well, that kind of commute will either break you or motivate you to work 18 hour days. My first spot was 35 minutes away and it broke me; happily it's now parked 15 minutes from my house and I can drive it to my house to work on it (which I do most days).
It’s an hour 40 drive for me. The minute I can inflate an aerobed and not freeze, I’ll do days at a time. I just don’t want to overstay my welcome in their house or on their property!!!
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International
Quote:
Yeah same here. Mine is 35 mins away right through town in a storage across from a nice housing development. I ran a grinder off of a friends solar for 3 days straight, at 5 in the morning, just begging to get kicked out. It might end up a lot harder than it needs to be if you dont have a solid spot to build.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Considering I don't have my own car it'd definitely be a break lol. Glad you found a new spot & hoping I can have your luck in finding something that close
Old 11-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtowel View Post
Hi Everyone!

I discovered skoolie living about 2 years ago after watching Expedition Happiness on Netflix lol! I've always wanted to travel freely but never knew how until I found skoolie life. Anyway after dreaming about this for a couple years, I am now ready to take the steps to make it a reality, but the first step is finding a place to build.

I'm in my final year of college, still living at home and I have no space to build on our property. I also don't know anyone with extra land. I've been looking at U-HAULs and other storage facilities however they come out to $300+ a month!!! I can't imagine paying that much while trying to simultaneously save money for my build.

I was wondering if any of you know any cheaper alternatives or if you know anyone willing to rent out a spot in their yard for me to do my build. Hoping to start sometime within Spring of 2021. I live in Bergen County NJ so definitely looking for a place within that area so I don't have to travel too far. Also, I'm planning on building a short cutaway skoolie so it won't be *too* much space.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'm excited to be apart of the community [emoji2]
I am in Staten Island, NY and I rent a spot for $150.00 a month. It works for me only because I was in front of my house until 1 (one) neighbor had to complain.
Attachment 51079
Old 11-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Handy
Engine: Cummins 24 valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 27 handicap
I noticed you said you could not afford to pay $300 mo to park the bus while "trying to save for your build"...I know you may be anxious to start your dream, but maybe you should consider finishing your last year of college whilst living with your parents, and save up for this as a better idea. Others on here may disagree, but a shorty in good condition will run you about as much as a 40ft on the purchase price. They all need tires when you get them if they have not been previously owned by someone other than the school district. You're gonna need SOME money. If you are living at home, and don't have a car, and have no money, you should think this through. It doesn't mean you should give up your dreams, but you should plan a little. I hope you all don't attack me for giving this young man some real life advice.

Blue days are gone, nothing but Blue Skies from now on...
Ms Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:21 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Blue Sky View Post
I noticed you said you could not afford to pay $300 mo to park the bus while "trying to save for your build"...I know you may be anxious to start your dream, but maybe you should consider finishing your last year of college whilst living with your parents, and save up for this as a better idea. Others on here may disagree, but a shorty in good condition will run you about as much as a 40ft on the purchase price. They all need tires when you get them if they have not been previously owned by someone other than the school district. You're gonna need SOME money. If you are living at home, and don't have a car, and have no money, you should think this through. It doesn't mean you should give up your dreams, but you should plan a little. I hope you all don't attack me for giving this young man some real life advice.
Hey! Thanks for your advice! I do have enough money to purchase the bus and put some work into it, I just wanted to save that money for the actual build instead of just parking, but I understand what you’re saying. Since I haven’t found any place close yet, I may just have to wait until the end of college just to save up for parking money lol