Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Planning for Next Winter

Hey All,

My husband and I just spent our first winter living in our 1996 Bluebird in Vermont. We have a wood stove and a propane space heater, but the bus definitely needs more insulation before next winter. We would like to insulate and cover the outside (without really altering the actual bus underneath) so it looks something like this:

We are looking for suggestions for methods and materials. Ideally, the new layer would have removable storm windows over the bus windows. We will not be putting a new door in like is shown in the picture, that is just an idea of the feel we are going for.

It seems important to add that we do not drive the bus on a regular basis and when we do it is over back roads and short distances. The last time it was moved was in August and we have no immediate plans to move it again.

Here is a link to what the bus looks like currently: https://www.flickr.com/photos/392231...7646902937984/

Any ideas or helpful hints would be much appreciated!

bellbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I'm brainstorming here, but why couldn't you sort of "hang" a new insulated shell from the roof? Cut roof rafters to fit the contour of the bus roof then bolt wall studs to the rafter ends. Put insulation board between the studs and bus body for a thermal break then insulate between the studs and cover it all with 1/2" plywood and the exterior finish of your choice.

The inside looks very homey.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

That seems like a great idea! Thanks! And yes, the inside is very homey. If we hadn't bought it mostly finished we could have put more insulation inside, but it's too late now.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Love the compass table, cabinets and the "minture French doors" ;)

You all are more than qualified and capable, I agree an outer shell is your only option unless you destroy what you have already

Oh, welcome and please update as you go, so far way, awesome job!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I don't know if you would ever get something like that insured to travel on the road.

This thread talks about this topic.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/in...roof-9099.html

There have been a few more too.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

I had seen that thread, but the idea of dealing with spray on insulation scares the bejeezus out of me. It may be the best option in terms of sticking to the bus, but it seems either too messy or too expensive... maybe both.

Looks are also a major consideration. Although I don't personally care about the aesthetics of the outside, we are drawing too much attention from nosey neighbors with our current yellow-ness.