Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Potential FNG (funny? new guy)

Hello all. I don't have a bus yet but I've been reading as much as I can here and I'm digging it already. I've been considering building something for traveling and camping for years.
Last week the bug bit me. I was with a friend at the local RV show and this friend happens to to be a school bus driver/trainer and he mentions to me his school might have a bus for sale. Its a mid sized 9 window 28 footer. I haven't gotten any more specs as far as make yet. Supposedly the school usually sells these as scrap to a local company so he has to talk them into selling to me instead. Hopefully I'll get a good deal on it. The school mechanic keeps these buses in perfect working order.
My wife also happens to be a school bus driver with 35 years under her belt so I imagine she'll be a valuable resource as well.I have to mention I have never driven a school bus but I'm sure my wife will be more than happen to tell me how to drive it.

Thanks for reading and please go easy on me when/if I actually start my build

Dave

dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like an interesting opportunity! I bought the bus we're living in now from a scrap yard who decided they didn't want to crush a bus that ran and drove.

If you're still on the fence about other types of RV check out this article I wrote with my thoughts: https://wanderlounge.net/are-you-con...us-conversion/
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Sounds like an interesting opportunity! I bought the bus we're living in now from a scrap yard who decided they didn't want to crush a bus that ran and drove.

If you're still on the fence about other types of RV check out this article I wrote with my thoughts: https://wanderlounge.net/are-you-con...us-conversion/
Thanks, good article too.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Skoolie

So I’m still working on buying this bus from the local school. Some VIP has to approve I guess. I wanted everyone thoughts on what I want to use this bus for. I live in Ohio and have a daughter and grandkids in Florida. We drive down as often as we can but it’s hard because we often take grandkids from Ohio along and the minivan is not getting it.
I wanted to start a conversion and use this bus to make the trips more comfortable. I realize the engine and transmission can make or break this idea but with the opportunity of a local well cared for bus is hard to turn down.
Is this a bad idea? I hoped to continue to use the bus for vacation as well.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
So I’m still working on buying this bus from the local school. Some VIP has to approve I guess. I wanted everyone thoughts on what I want to use this bus for. I live in Ohio and have a daughter and grandkids in Florida. We drive down as often as we can but it’s hard because we often take grandkids from Ohio along and the minivan is not getting it.
I wanted to start a conversion and use this bus to make the trips more comfortable. I realize the engine and transmission can make or break this idea but with the opportunity of a local well cared for bus is hard to turn down.
Is this a bad idea? I hoped to continue to use the bus for vacation as well.
If you plan your build well this could be a great bus for road trips. The trips will take longer and the diesel will cost more. But eating and sleeping in the bus will offset that cost.

Good luck and if this isn't the bus there's another one out there that should fill your needs.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Skoolie

Potential FNG (funny? new guy)

So the mystery bus will be mine Tuesday. To remind everyone my friend is a school bus trainer and told me about a bus I can get for what I think is better than scape price. The school contact finally gave me a price and I get the title Tuesday. I’ll pickup the bus Thursday, post some pictures and do a formal new member introduction. This is a midsize bus and I’m sure has some rust issues. I know the bus has been well maintained and runs great but that’s all I know.

Is this crazy buying a bus sight unseen? Guess all this is a little crazy for me[emoji1].
Old 02-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Skoolie

Another update. Got the title and temp tags today. The bus is a 2008 Thomas model 090 front engine with 21k miles, mid-sized 9 window. I'll pick the bus up this thursday and soon after that start assessing the rust damage I've been warned about I don't know what transmission yet but from the VIN lookup its has a Cummins 5.9L

I'm going to search through the site but off hand are there any known issues I need to start researching?