Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350; 4x4 Minibus
Engine: 351c.i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Who on the road enforces NFDA benchmarks?
That's the thing I don't understand about all these "highway propane transport" legalities... Unless a cop is having a really bad day and you go and do something obviously dumb, who is really going to say "that tanks' gotta go!" Mud flaps and license plate lights seem more important to the patrols than tank location. I'm not going to stress it with my build. I'm looking to locate my tank under the body but if it doesn't fit, I'm eyeing the rear deck I intend to build.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Just follow NFPA 1192, then you'll be fine.

John
Or (probably) simpler still, in OP's case, unhook the tank and bring it inside the bus during transport. It takes less than a minute to shut off the gas and disconnect the hose.

This seems like a no-brainer, to me.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Regardless of legality, insurance, or likelihood of getting stopped, it just seems like a bad idea to me.

Safety should be at the top of our list when it comes to priorities for a build.

No one wants to be responsible for killing one of our own loved ones or someone else’s because it made the build a little quicker or easier.

IMHO it is simple. Mount an ASME tank somewhere between the front and rear axles in a protected, ventilated area and plumb everything according to best practices.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
What statute would an officer site in order to ticket you? I understand using common sense, but the question was on the legality of carrying on the back deck. So far no one has come up with an answer.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
What statute would an officer site in order to ticket you? I understand using common sense, but the question was on the legality of carrying on the back deck. So far no one has come up with an answer.
what difference does that make? - its likely in DOT laws, but illegal is illegal and dangerous is dangerous`- likely the kid pumping propane at the local Walmart could answer your question for you
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
what difference does that make? - its likely in DOT laws, but illegal is illegal and dangerous is dangerous`- likely the kid pumping propane at the local Walmart could answer your question for you
The difference is whether it is legal or not. No one has provided any DOT regulations on the matter. Many recommendations and guidelines from NFDA, but they are not a legal enforcement agency. The OP's question was whether it is legal or not. No one has presented any evidence saying it is illegal.

I did mention using common sense, but that's not the issue.

I just spoke with the Dawson Sheriffs Office, they had no clue. Sent me to check the codes. What code, thanks for nothing. There is nothing in my research that covers propane in an RV in the Ga. DOT.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The difference is whether it is legal or not. No one has provided any DOT regulations on the matter. Many recommendations and guidelines from NFDA, but they are not a legal enforcement agency. The OP's question was whether it is legal or not. No one has presented any evidence saying it is illegal.

I did mention using common sense, but that's not the issue.

I just spoke with the Dawson Sheriffs Office, they had no clue. Sent me to check the codes. What code, thanks for nothing. There is nothing in my research that covers propane in an RV in the Ga. DOT.
wasn`t hard to find where l live - took all of ten seconds

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...de/15_103_2004
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
wasn`t hard to find where l live - took all of ten seconds

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...de/15_103_2004
Pretty long read, can you point out the parts that cover illegal storage on an RV in your country?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Regardless of legality, insurance, or likelihood of getting stopped, it just seems like a bad idea to me.

Safety should be at the top of our list when it comes to priorities for a build.

No one wants to be responsible for killing one of our own loved ones or someone else’s because it made the build a little quicker or easier.

IMHO it is simple. Mount an ASME tank somewhere between the front and rear axles in a protected, ventilated area and plumb everything according to best practices.
I agree.

Safety comes first. Just because I can get away with something doesn't make it a good idea.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I agree.

Safety comes first. Just because I can get away with something doesn't make it a good idea.
Quote:
Pretty long read, can you point out the parts that cover illegal storage on an RV in your country?
I think you are trying to make a point somehow, though I have no idea what or why - I`m sure if you searched your local state or national laws on mounting propane tanks, you`d find your own answer in seconds - if you had bothered to look at what l posted, even a quick scroll, you would have seen what sections pertain in a moment or two
Old 06-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I agree.

exactly my thoughts as well - why would anyone nit-pic about such a basic safety issue?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think you are trying to make a point somehow, though I have no idea what or why - I`m sure if you searched your local state or national laws on mounting propane tanks, you`d find your own answer in seconds - if you had bothered to look at what l posted, even a quick scroll, you would have seen what sections pertain in a moment or two
If you read my earlier post you would understand.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Because picking nits is a gas..?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
If you read my earlier post you would understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Because picking nits is a gas..?
Read......
Old 05-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #35

To answer the question

To answer your question RVs commonly have propane tanks mounted on the front with plastic wrap holding them or propane containers underneath the propane container the propane‘s are mounted. Now on the back of a bus I would not recommend mounting them directly to the pump or however above the bumper if you were building a deck the propane bottles should be more than safe. The only way there would be a fire from propane is if there was an igniter not compression propane is not a compression gas which is why when your plumbing propane you use flare fittings not compression fittings in the United States. Additionally each state has its own set of laws if you’re traveling through a state I would suggest reviewing state laws in that state. I have yet to see someone site a specific code stating this to be illegal in anyway. You can buy tank mounts online. If it was illegal they would have a disclaimer letting you know it’s illegal to mount your tanks were they would get sued for selling a tank mount and not having the disclaimer. My only concern would be how are you getting the propane from the tank into the bus? Would you be running it through the back wall would you be running it with a black tube underneath the bus? Again my biggest concern would be how you would utilize the propane more than it would be Location of installation I didn’t seen people put propane tanks on the roof
Looking for answers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking for answers View Post
To answer your question RVs commonly have propane tanks mounted on the front with plastic wrap holding them or propane containers underneath the propane container the propane‘s are mounted. Now on the back of a bus I would not recommend mounting them directly to the pump or however above the bumper if you were building a deck the propane bottles should be more than safe. The only way there would be a fire from propane is if there was an igniter not compression propane is not a compression gas which is why when your plumbing propane you use flare fittings not compression fittings in the United States. Additionally each state has its own set of laws if you’re traveling through a state I would suggest reviewing state laws in that state. I have yet to see someone site a specific code stating this to be illegal in anyway. You can buy tank mounts online. If it was illegal they would have a disclaimer letting you know it’s illegal to mount your tanks were they would get sued for selling a tank mount and not having the disclaimer. My only concern would be how are you getting the propane from the tank into the bus? Would you be running it through the back wall would you be running it with a black tube underneath the bus? Again my biggest concern would be how you would utilize the propane more than it would be Location of installation I didn’t seen people put propane tanks on the roof

What is this string of words supposed to mean?
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
NFPA 1192 section 5.2.3.4 says that:* "Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle." The State of New Mexico has adopted the NFPA into the NMAC administrative code and as such may be enforced by the fire marshal or other law enforcement. In NM they have a catch all unsafe vehicle section 66-3-901 that they can use for anything. They did it to a fool that was towing a single wide mobile home with a farm tractor that fell of on the road in front of my house on a Sunday morning. Made a mess. They had one in CA when I lived there. So I’m sure they have it everywhere. Besides it is just a stupid idea in general.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
NFPA 1192 section 5.2.3.4 says that:* "Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle." The State of New Mexico has adopted the NFPA into the NMAC administrative code and as such may be enforced by the fire marshal or other law enforcement. In NM they have a catch all unsafe vehicle section 66-3-901 that they can use for anything. They did it to a fool that was towing a single wide mobile home with a farm tractor that fell of on the road in front of my house on a Sunday morning. Made a mess. They had one in CA when I lived there. So I’m sure they have it everywhere. Besides it is just a stupid idea in general.
Thank you, finally the right answer (just a stupid idea).
Someone mentioned travel trailers have portable tanks on them on the front and back, I don't recall ever seeing one with factory tanks on the back. But trailers also don't have occupant's while moving. Motorhomes have permenantly mounted tanks between the axles for a reason. Anyone remember the Pinto? Someone suggested taking the tank off and bringing it inside! Not really what I would think is the best plan, tanks do vent. Maybe an ignition source inside like a cigarette or a loose 12 volt switch would quickly ruin your day. Remember the pickup's with the fuel tank behind the seat? Still got one, 72' F250 bomb.
Stay safe
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Carrying the bottles in the inside of the vehicle is also a violation of NFPA 1192 code also. “Shall not be carried inside the passenger area". The only good reason to carry it in the passenger area is to be nominated for a Darwin award. LPG is very safe only if it is handled safe. LPG does not suffer fools well.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
trailers also don't have occupant's while moving.
In PA they do. I wouldn't be one of those occupants unless I was wrapped in duct tape first.