Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Smile Pulled the trigger, Boom

Hello Skoolie People

We had been considering a bus for a couple of years now and pulled the trigger in October. Flew put to Az and picked up a bus from the man, the myth, the legend Tony at AAAbus. 1999 BlueBird tc2000 with a 8.3 Cummins and at Alison mt643. Going to have the engine rebuilt this summer. That was the plan before purchase. Lab shows a small amount of coolant in oil. Can't see it but hey, science. Inframe so that's nice. Tony informed me before the purchase of course so I knew what I was getting into and the price reflected the inframe rebuild. We immediately turned around a drove the bus 1600 miles back to Minnesota. After some overheating concern of the drive through the mountains, We learned that the dashboard was a little of on all its measurements. The speedometer was not correct, temp gauge, rpm, fuel gauge. All were incorrect. Not uncommon to have this particular dash cluster rebuilt. Tony did a good job of showing me how to properly temp the bus with an infrared thermometer and we could see the temp was just fine. Grab an oil change halfway through and the mechanic said the oil looked brand new a its wasn't leaking coolant into the oil, but ima trust lab science over the human eye. Started demoing the bus right away. Az bus so no rust. I Asked AAAbus to remove the seats and leave one for the journey home. Rebuilt the subfloor and installed insulation. Been working on framing. Now on the electrical and plumbing. Havelock wool ordered for the remaining insulation.

Optimusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Boom. Welcome and good luck with your build. Will you rebuild the engine yourself?
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Welcome!

Pictures, man. Pictures! Start a build thread, makes for some great memories.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Despite what some people say that Tony buys buses at auctions for dirt cheap and sells them for profit, that doesn’t make it a bad thing. I was willing to pay more for my bus. Aside from that he was truly honest as we walked his then current inventory and he pointed out each buses flaws whether one had some blow by, leaks or needed some attention. I appreciated his honesty and passion for these things. Stubborn he can be, but he deals with tons of people during the day who waste his time.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Welcome and Congrats on the new bus.
Just an FYI, a good friend of mine purchased a new to him motorboat 7 years ago, the oil samples on both engines said the same thing. He used that as a great bargaining chip and with good service continued he is still riding that boat hard every summer.
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote