Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Questions re. buying a bus and driving it home

Hi everyone, new member here looking to jump into a bus conversion project. I'm narrowing down my preferences but have a few newbie questions. Seems like there's a big difference between the prices of used buses depending on their geographical location. For example, I've looked at a few buses in Phoenix and am interested in an 1998 International rear engine (DT530) 40 footer with about 140k mi. Dealer wants $5500. 10434 - aaabussales.com. Very similar bus from Midwest Transit is listed at $2800. Used 1998 International AMTRAN - Near Kankakee IL - Midwest Transit What am I missing here. At that price difference it would be worth it to fly to Indiana and drive the thing home. I'd still be considerable $$ ahead. But I sure would like to be able to physically check out what I'm buying before jumping in, which is what makes a local purchase appealing. If I wind up buying a bus 1800mi away, what can I do to reasonably ensure I'll be able to get it home? Has anyone here bought a bus from Midwest Transit, and what were your impressions?
Another thing: I know that once I've completed the conversion I'll be able to register the bus as an RV, but until then it's a commercial vehicle. Is there a problem with me driving without a CDL? Don't want to be worried about that all the way home . . .

pkgregory is offline   Reply With Quote