Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Goshen, GMC
Chassis: C5500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Rated Cap: More than 1
Red Bus Racing

Good day,
I have been lurking around for awhile. A few posts hear and there. I appreciate this groups patience and help with all the different questions that have been made by myself and others.
I started my Skoolie adventure last year in a 4 window, GMC Savana bus. Our family rides Moto Cross. We have previously adjusted the Savana to accommodate 3 bikes and the equipment needed for maintenance. Not much work put into her as she was just a starting point.
We cut her loose end of riding season last year. I searched for options and researched layouts all summer long. Using a pickup truck and small trailer all summer for the bikes stunk.
I finally did it. Although not the most popular of options, we went with a phenomenal deal on a Goshen coach on a gmc c5500 chassis. Duramax with a Allison. Our final design is very "open air" with minimal furnishings. We enjoy opening all the (four, 2 each side) large safety exit windows (3ftx3ft). We do plan on limited camping with some basics for living. (Solar, some water, cooktop, no bathroom) Security of the bikes (our count is up to 6 bikes for each race) , and having all the tools we need is first priority.
So I guess that's the quick version of how the Red Bus Racing rig came to be.
Again, I thank you all for the help you did not know you provided as I scrolled and searched all your posts.
I hope to be able to help any and all of you someday.

B.Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Congrats on your upgrade! We have also gone 'supersized' with our tow/service rig, from a '99 Ford ext chassis E350 to an 11 window Bluebird. Somewhat similar plans, but we'll be towing our race/rally car, making a work shop in the back (4 windows) and fully functional living quarters in the rest. Still battling the titling/licensing issues, but hope to get that settled soon.

Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Goshen, GMC
Chassis: C5500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Rated Cap: More than 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Congrats on your upgrade! We have also gone 'supersized' with our tow/service rig, from a '99 Ford ext chassis E350 to an 11 window Bluebird. Somewhat similar plans, but we'll be towing our race/rally car, making a work shop in the back (4 windows) and fully functional living quarters in the rest. Still battling the titling/licensing issues, but hope to get that settled soon.

Dave
I just today registered in Vermont. Relatively painless. Let me know if I can help. I just followed the directions set forth in the "how to register immediately" thread. Went pretty well.
If you ever headed to Vermont for some rally races, let me know I'd love to observe. Best of luck on your racing and conversion.
B.Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote