Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Rated Cap: 78
Rhode Island to Nicaragua... The long way...

Hi all,

I'm new here. I posed about some engine problems and you guys have been so helpful I'm hooked on your Forum. You'll probably be hearing from me a lot until Febuary as I prep for my next epic adventure. My wife, soon to be born daughter and I will be traveling back to our farm we bought in remote Nicaragua several years ago where we host volunteers and promote sustainable living practices. Staying focused on the bus though, we will travel an indirect path back, live until we finish our cob house is finished and then convert the bus again to a hostel dormitory. Oh, did I mention tropical twin volcanic island in fresh water lake with sharks??? Ya, my new home. And future home of Nicaragua canal currently under construction. Your grandchildren will have never heard of the Panama Canal. Did I hit enough hot topics? Please ask about any of them.

Big11beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Had a friend in the Navy who's dad ran a drilling operation on Lake Cocibolca back in the 30's & 40's. He told stories about the sharks jumping onto the wooden service floats and dragging away a number of the local Indios laborers. He also noted that the company initiated a policy that the Indios were only to be transported in fully covered or enclosed trucks. Seems they had absolutely no sense of speed and would just step off the back when they wanted to get off...at 40 mph or so.

One last tale involved a man running up to him with all the fingers gone off one hand and blood spewing everywhere. And since there were no translators for many of the local dialects, he just tried his best to get the chap to show him what had happened. The Indian drug hm over to a huge circular saw that they used to rough cut timbers...and stuck his other hand into the blade. Yep...it was running...but it cleared up that mystery.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Had a friend in the Navy who's dad ran a drilling operation on Lake Cocibolca back in the 30's & 40's. He told stories about the sharks jumping onto the wooden service floats and dragging away a number of the local Indios laborers. He also noted that the company initiated a policy that the Indios were only to be transported in fully covered or enclosed trucks. Seems they had absolutely no sense of speed and would just step off the back when they wanted to get off...at 40 mph or so.

One last tale involved a man running up to him with all the fingers gone off one hand and blood spewing everywhere. And since there were no translators for many of the local dialects, he just tried his best to get the chap to show him what had happened. The Indian drug hm over to a huge circular saw that they used to rough cut timbers...and stuck his other hand into the blade. Yep...it was running...but it cleared up that mystery.

Ouch!!! That hurt just reading it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Wow, epic adventure please post stories and pictures
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sweet! We want to Skoolie from Washington to Argentina one day. How long have you had the farm? Did you buy it already built? Did you have to build it yourselves?
alpedfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Rated Cap: 78
We bought our property stripped and burned. It has come a long way since 2013 when we bought it. We have pictures at facebook.com/eljardinometepe. We build with the help of volunteers traveling through and local hired help. We had been living Central America since 2010.