Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
School bus driver checking in here! Interested in the skoolie lifestyle

Title says it all. I'm currently a college student, I work for a large private bus company in Wisconsin. I've lurked on this site for years and it was part of the reason why I got into driving school buses.

I've been driving for about 9 months now, mostly on charter & school trips with the occasional route when necessary. It's a great part time job and it's definitely helped me determine what kind of bus I'd get as a skoolie buyer if I chose to go down that road.

The fleet primarily consists of Blue Bird All Americans, front engine with the 5.9 Cummins. Not sure what the transmision/gearing setup is but my guess is that they're the same across the fleet. Most of our buses are pretty new so I haven't driven any of the older ones like I see here on the site. I think the oldest one I've driven so far was a 2007.

If anyone has questions about Bluebird buses I'm sure I'd be able to answer it since I've spent so much time inside them haha. No experience with Thomas or IC although many of the neighboring school districts use them.

Anyway, long speech over. I look forward to hanging out here and learning more about buses

WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3208 Cat
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Hey howdy [emoji112] I am also a school bus driver. I purchased my bus (88 Thomas MVP) and got a job last fall. I love the new buses I drove. Love our pusher more as it will be our home by the end of the month. Best of luck on your new adventure!
Nvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I have a friend from michigan who bought the bus his mom drove on her route.
They then converted it, drove it down here to Fl, and lived in it for two years.
I'll bet its rare that the bus and driver retire together!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have a friend from michigan who bought the bus his mom drove on her route.
They then converted it, drove it down here to Fl, and lived in it for two years.
I'll bet its rare that the bus and driver retire together!
How fun!

I'm another school bus driver. BB conventionals, 72-77 passenger 2013 models, propane power. I so far like them.

It's good for a part-time job: I feel like I'm making a valuable contribution to the community - and my weekly pay is more than what I got working a few more hours/wk at a big-box store.