Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: T444 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 71
Science Nerd turned Skoolie

Greetings all!

Just introducing myself, I'm a science nerd who used to study plant evolution and am now planning to take on a school bus conversion to create a rolling science lab and home.

BotanicalVoyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Nice to meet you! I too am a science nerd turned skoolie (and new around these parts). Though I'm on the genetics and computational biology side of things. Do you already have a bus you're working on?
snorris8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I made a software / hardware DEV lab out of a bus.. so definitely they make great labs!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry CK everyone can laugh at me but what in the world is DEV?
Tech. Challenged but very hands on?
I will call a designer or engineer in a heart beat when there in my world but the whole computer spectrum? I didn't have a chance/suck at? My 15&16 year old kids have to help me with anything my my I-pad mini or I-phone but almost anything hands on I get to teach/advise?
I just want to know what is DEV LAB, DEV RANDOM? The latter I can figure out so what is DEV?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a DEV lab is basically a Development lab.. when writing software, or working with hardware, i needed a place to test my creations.. easily and quickly.. for me driving is often a way to clear my brain when i am trying to solve an issue or develop a piece of software for a task.. having the bus allows me to write down my thoughts wit hjust a simple stop at an exit.. and then even test my theories.. and alas then get back on the road to solve more issues... withiut having to go to the office, or home, etc.. my system consists of compouters networked together and computeerized telephones that i write the software for.. so physical devices need to be present for me to test..

in the computer world a person who does this is called a Developer or a Dev,

sometimes when you write a compouter program you need your program to find a random number.. say you for instance trying to generate random passcodes to give to someone on the screen.. you would use random numbers.. when using UNIX / LINUX (a type of computer environment similar to windows or macintosh OSX)... you make your program look to a file in the memory called /dev/random when you read this file it gives you random number each time...

I named my bus DEV RANDOM because of the connection with the programming... but also because my bus is the RANDOM travels of a DEV (developer) (me).

often I have no destination.. I just hop in the bus with the trucker;s GPS set to warning mode so i wont end up with any really tight turns or low bridges ...I wont set a route.. and I'll just drive.. Driving a school bus makes me smile and feel good.. I wanted to drive a school bus since i was a little kid... I always liked riding to school in the front seat so i could watch what the driver did...

so naturally its an escape for me where my mind can work well and design software.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Nerds and hippies

That's the general populace here....
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I guess were just recycling what was before. I told someone what I was planning the first thing they said was if you sell your house you'll be homeless. I just explained to them I was building a new home on wheels. This is why I must leave for the open road.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: T444 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 71
Im looking for the right bus now. It seems to be the biggest hurdle so far, lol.
I'm in the botany, systematics, and paleo side of the sciences though I dabble in the nature of philosophy and metaphysics on occasion..
BotanicalVoyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
well, scrape the darn bryophytes and algea off your ass and get to converting!!

welcome to the site!