Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Don't get me wrong, I hope there are lots of suckers that will give me a fair price for mine when I sell it. You guys have me scared to death that you can't retrieve any ROI on a Skoolie. But I have since learned that there are people with money who want a Skoolie and haven't a freakin clue what it takes to build one.
I don't think I've ever scared anyone about ROI. I've always doubled or even tripled my money. Well- once I did get a bummer of a bus but it wasn't a complete wash.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
There are a few bus nuts around the country who make a living buying auction buses and selling them on a lot, like a used car dealership for school buses. If you want to pick out your bus like someone picks out a sticks and staples RV on a dealership lot, you should get on a plane and visit a bus nut owned and operated bus yard. I’ve heard of one in northern Idaho, don’t ask me for the details as I’m looking for them too.

For many, acquiring a bus is THE biggest hurdle, and yet veterans say to buy direct from the school district and visit the auctions. Get the best price physically possible and turn down buses that are a few hundred dollars over your max bid because “the perfect one will come up at the my price, and I’m not getting ripped off!”. Auction buses usually sell for around $2000. Remember, A 50% markup on $2000 is $3000. A 100% markup on $2000 is $4000. A budget, budget build out is going to total out to $4000, all hard costs included. Don’t feel like it’s a sin or like it’s cheating to buy your bus from a lot at a markup.

Since as far as I could tell in 2019, I’ve missed the wave of pre-emission system analog 90s buses (please correct me if I’m wrong). I have decided when I have 3-5 grand in my hand I’m taking a road trip to visit a bus nut ran bus yard, take a look around, and have my pick of the litter. Sure the skoolies may be marked up more than 50% because skoolies are currently the latest hipster RV trend, so what - retired American school buses are the cheapest vehicle per pound, hands down!

For me at least, spending an additional couple thousand dollars on the final negotiated purchase price is worth the dealership conveniences and the ability to be choosy / get the style of bus you want within a week.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Finding a quality build out on a complete and finished skoolie is most definitely a challenge.
There are more "blank slate" busses on the market than quality built finished, turn key skoolies.

There are so many ways to outfit a bus and its not one size fits all. Finding the right one that needs the least amount of $$ thrown at it to suit the buyer's needs, wants, desires, in a turn key bus is difficult at best.

That's why more folks choose to build one from scratch. That approach saves time/additional money in having to tear out someone else's finished goods they don't need or like, it's just not the smart money approach. Unless the bus is priced accordingly, (AKA: CHEAP!)...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think I've ever scared anyone about ROI. I've always doubled or even tripled my money. Well- once I did get a bummer of a bus but it wasn't a complete wash.
Ya, but you've never converted one, have you?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ya, but you've never converted one, have you?
That's not my mission.
Although we're going to tastefully mod ours.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #46
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post

There are so many ways to outfit a bus and its not one size fits all. Finding the right one that needs the least amount of $$ thrown at it to suit the buyer's needs, wants, desires, in a turn key bus is difficult at best.

That's why more folks choose to build one from scratch. ...
Getting what you want without having to learn anything is just postponing the inevitable hehehehe.....buy a good base.....learn to use tools......learn where the gas goes......you will either love learning or hate the process / in which case an RV is maybe better for you.
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #47
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post
Getting what you want without having to learn anything is just postponing the inevitable hehehehe.....buy a good base.....learn to use tools......learn where the gas goes......you will either love learning or hate the process / in which case an RV is maybe better for you.
——///
It’s hard to buy a good base when i’m not well versed in the subject. Had I had all that knowledge programmed into my brain or in at least in 1.5% of any unused part of it, I would have by now, jumped into the eBay race.
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #48
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
heheh....you're almost there.....one step at a time !?......get some help buying a decent bus ( I bought a short bus because a full size is a lot to drive and / repair )....you might find unanticipated issues but money fixes everything mechanical .....and you can handle the carpentry I'm sure. As Walt Disney said : “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”

I listened to advice on here......learned to avoid the ford 6.0 litre diesels.....I got pretty much unanimous recommendations to buy a modern gas bus and found a super 2013 GMC with well under 20,000 miles for a very reasonable price ! Each major thing I contract out......so I left it parked at a paint shop for 2 months....they eventually stripped it and painted professionally ( cost more but I was working full time plus it was winter ) Check that off the list.....now a welding shop is doing my roof rack and bumper. I'll get a pro to hook up solar for me while I work full time......but I will enjoy doing the interior myself.

I know some people manage easily with just water jugs and no shower or bath.....I plan to travel solo so I know I can manage easily. ....and my credit cards are cleared so if I encounter trouble....help is a phone call away for a common gas bus !
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
So funny how kids throw a bus together, make an IG page about it and think they'll get 75 grand for it.
Anyone paying that kind of money is a total custie.
My favorite so far is the gal who put up a Go Fund me page and collected funds to build a bus for her childrens ministry. Then promptly put it up for sale for $65k.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My favorite so far is the gal who put up a Go Fund me page and collected funds to build a bus for her childrens ministry. Then promptly put it up for sale for $65k.
Exaclty! YES I remember her!
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
"And the meek shall inherit the earth."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
But in the meanwhiles, the shamelessly nervy MoFos will make a comfortable living for themselves...
•snort•
Some "minister..."

Tags
finished skoolie, professional, skoolie expert