Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Seriously considering a skoolie...

Hello Everyone!

So, I have the itch. I want to build a skoolie. I had the notion about a year ago, but after my recent camping trip to see the eclipse, I have the itch again. Last year it was about 80/20 against the idea, now I am around 70/30 in favor of making the jump.

My biggest concerns are, well, buying the bus; then of course finding a place to store and work on it. I am working on those right now, but I want your ideas and input I guess. I'm going to post my v2 rough plans. I am thinking of a 66-77 passenger bus that I will convert for full time living. Since I currently live in SE WI, and have family in N IL, I will need to be sure to build it for the cold. I will be, and have been, foraging around the various threads to get ideas, and I can see you guys and gals are a great group with lots of ideas.

I'm pretty darn creative, and very handy so I am not worried about my capability to finish the build. I have a general timeline through the first 6mo, let me know if I should change anything.

Jan - Buy, then strip the interior bare. Then finalize the plans

Feb - Remove unwanted windows, install conduit along exterior walls, and fit the through the floor plumbing

Mar- Insulate and lay subfloor, frame walls and bed frame, and install ceiling

April - Install Water and propane tanks. Plumb and install bathroom.

"Move In?"

May - Install 120v primary electrical.

June - Farm benches and panel walls

Here is the current v2 rough plans:

Any input is very welcome.

Kb9nbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb9nbd View Post
My biggest concerns are, well, buying the bus; then of course finding a place to store and work on it.
Fix that first. Bus will get to stay for few days, but loose their welcome fast-especially when yellow.

How many people/pets in your Tribe? How tall you all be?

Budget? Tools? You mentioned wanting good insulating= window delete/sprayfoam?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Well, just me and my occasionally my daughter when on an adventure. She's 6 right now and lives with her mother. No pets...yet. I keep considering one, and may get a dog when I finally get a build to the point that I can move in.

I'm 6'3", and plan on potentially doing a center walkway raise depending on the bus.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

Also, I apologize for the multiple posts. When I was posting they were there for a second, then dissapeared not to be found. I reposted of course, then today I see that all of them appeared. Sorry about that.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Traveling

I think your biggest hurdle regarding timeline will be weather and Wisc. I got my bus in Jan and it was tough laying under in the snow.

Any friends who own big barns?

Start bus shopping now- try a few, do some test drives. Midwest down by me in Kankakee has a bunch of buses to play with. Buy your dream bus off auction.

Go down to the fancy RV place for design ideas. Take brochures and your cameraphone.

Realize your Calendar, Blueprint and Budget will all be way off....
Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

Oh I am sure it will. I want to at least have a solid general idea to get going. It's also party to help me convince myself of the feasibility of it all.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb9nbd View Post
It's also party to help me convince myself of the feasibility of it all.
Feasibility. Huh. Luckily I didn't include that in the decision making process or it wouldn't have happened.

When you first tell friends, family or coworkers that you went out and purchased a giant yellow bus with the dream of living in it, they get this little gleam in their eye that says "I always knew you were a nutter".
Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Oh, they already know. I'm sitting around 70/30 in favor of it. It really comes down to the space to work on it. If I can find that, I am pretty sure I will then proceed.