Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I’m a city boy through and through but CoVID and all the riots make me rethink selling my house to move downtown .. I’ve found what I really like is walking Lott’s Finding coffee shops, writing code, being in open air (I preach AC when I’m driving but shut the engine off and I’m ready for that warm summer air)..

I can do that in smaller towns, but a place where I can build a big garage and restore my busses and then just drive to the coffee houses and walk in smaller towns .. I’m not sure I could live in a bus. I need very much clutter free open bright spaces. Which I have in my dev bus but it has clear windows no walls for bedrooms bathroom etc , to make it living space I lose that wide open feel..

Engines - 6.0 is good if it’s bulletproofed, 7.3 rocks but is slower and louder but reliable . The issue with 6.4 is ford used crap pistons.. you can stud it and delete it but still burn and crack pistons

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Really appreciate the feedback!

Definitely have the intent of settling down from the road after a year or two.
I bet you have been seeing some amazing places.

The downtown life was a great experience but really made me realize how much I miss nature. I grew up on camping and being outside.

I have my sights on a small rig. My initial plan was getting a sprinter van until I realized how much money they are compared to a Skoolie. And honestly the extra space of a short bus or shuttle buss sounds really nice.

This week I'm actually picking up a moped/scooter my dad has been telling me I should get one. When I saw your post I knew I had to get one.

It already sounds clear that I might have to travel to pick up a good bus.
I'm not against getting one that is already completed, but I would need to find a good deal.

I figure building one will be a lot of work. But knowing you made it yourself has to be one of the greatest feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I think it's possible to spend a year or 2 on the road with the intent of settling down in the future. That's what we're doing, been on the road for almost a year and a half buzzing around the mountain west. It gets old sometimes (some of that might be due to the pandemic) but if you've got an end time on the horizon it might make it easier. We don't miss too many of the comforts of home, though laundry is a bit of a hassle.

We started out in Chicago also, worked downtown for decades.... the whole bit. It's a nice way to be able to see the country, but you should have a plan. I'd recommend not going too big on the rig if you're traveling solo, and have a scooter, motorcycle, or some alternate form of transportation so you don't have to break camp to go sightseeing. Having a smaller bus (shuttle bus, short bus, van chassis, whatever) will make it a lot easier to find places to park. Space mostly hasn't been a problem out west here, but if you plan on spending time in the midwest or east it very well may be. For the most part we're able to get by with our Verizon MiFi Jetpack.
We traveled to Colorado to pick up our bus, as nothing in the midwest really worked for us. Don't be surprised if you need to do the same. Keep an eye out for already-converted (or already-started) buses, they're out there. We see a LOT of solo people living in Sprinter vans too.
chadercheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Try and look for something older than '04-ish - the 7.3 engine has a very good aftermarket parts market and is a very reliable engine. From around 95-up in the IH buses they were turbocharged Direct Injection and in a short bus have good power.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I feel ya man. When I moved to Chicago I had a blast. It was so fun being able to walk around everywhere. Every corner was filled with something new to see. Great food, music, and bars. Was a big change from a small town.

Really has been a bummer all the stuff going on. It doesn’t feel like the same city I moved to.

You might be better off outside the city. Can't have a big garage in the city. It will be way cheaper and you will have plenty of space.

Thanks for the engine info. Nice knowing I can just write off all 6.4s.
For the 6.0s, will most people know what I mean when I ask them if it's bulletproofed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I’m a city boy through and through but CoVID and all the riots make me rethink selling my house to move downtown .. I’ve found what I really like is walking Lott’s Finding coffee shops, writing code, being in open air (I preach AC when I’m driving but shut the engine off and I’m ready for that warm summer air)..

I can do that in smaller towns, but a place where I can build a big garage and restore my busses and then just drive to the coffee houses and walk in smaller towns .. I’m not sure I could live in a bus. I need very much clutter free open bright spaces. Which I have in my dev bus but it has clear windows no walls for bedrooms bathroom etc , to make it living space I lose that wide open feel..

Engines - 6.0 is good if it’s bulletproofed, 7.3 rocks but is slower and louder but reliable . The issue with 6.4 is ford used crap pistons.. you can stud it and delete it but still burn and crack pistons
Old 08-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadercheese View Post
For the 6.0s, will most people know what I mean when I ask them if it's bulletproofed?

Most shops/mechanics, very likely. Casual folks, not so much. Some do, some don't. Before entering this forum, did *YOU* know anything about the Ford 6.0 and bulletproofing it?

As an aside, the GM 6.0 is a gas engine and has a very good reputation.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm a graphic designer living in Chicago and I need some nature.
One thing to consider is just because you own a bus or an RV doesn't equal time in nature. Lot's of people buy a bus only to get stuck in a ghetto rundown RV park, Walmart or other unpleasant situation.

The reality of camping now days is it is usually very difficult to find nice spots in nature. Many times when you do find those spots they are crowded with generators, motor bikes, dogs, ect.

11k in "rustic" short term rentals could buy lots of nature time. In a 3rd world country that could buy years in nature.

Quote:
I'm 28 so I'm not ready for permanent living yet.
Life is temporary there is not such thing as permanent living.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Most shops/mechanics, very likely. Casual folks, not so much. Some do, some don't. Before entering this forum, did *YOU* know anything about the Ford 6.0 and bulletproofing it?

Bulletproofing is was a specific company’s term for beefing up the 6.0 and 6.4 engines..

The true meaning is for a 6.0 if it has an upgraded EGR cooler Or EGR cooler delete, upgraded Oil cooler, and ARP head studs.

Similar items for the 6.4 except the oil cooler on a 6.4 was pretty good from the factory . People did EGR and DPF delete. The ford 6.4 also had the issue that the pistons were crap... the high output versions of the maxxforce 7 have better pistons , but very very few school busses or shuttle busses are going to have EGR deleted, head studs etc as these are aftermarket things done by individuals typically either themselves or taking the vehicle to a specialty shop..

International (Navistar) made the engines that ford sold as the truck owerstroke 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4

International sold them under their own name too in the full size bus chassis ..

For international they got difference names..
7.3 in an IH is a T444e
6.0 in an IH is a VT365
6.4 in an IH is a Maxxforce 7.

In general the engines were similar however they usually had less power in the IH chassis than they did in the ford chassis or trucks..

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #28

Hi, we are skoolies with a little land out here in NM and are looking for someone or so who wants to escape the city to come out and join us (family of 3) if you are so inclined, looking for someone handy with tools, responsible, not a criminal, not a drinker. We are also becoming "boaties". We are converting a mid sized houseboat into a house. We are also becoming "baggers", building earthbag homes. So if that is of interest to you, drop us a note!
cancruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

To be honest I never heard the term "bulletproofing" before. The more and more I was looking into Skoolies I kept seeing the term come up.

Even asked my dad and he never heard of the term.

Appreciate the input.

I was only looking at diesels, but I'm going to keep an eye out for the GM 6.0 gas engines too.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

Old 08-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Just being curious, but why does it seem like so many people are trying to talk me out of the idea of the Skoolie life? I have been on Reddit too and getting similar responses.

For getting stuck somewhere, I'm not really too worried. I have a room at my dad's house that I am always welcomed to if the going gets a little rough.

I honestly just want to go on an adventure/ challenge for a year.
I have met a lot of people that did the Skoolie life for a bit and it always seemed really appealing to me.

I would love to travel around the world and go backpacking for a bit, but with this Covid situation going on I feel a lot safer keeping it in the states. ( Mainly because I would be flying a lot and staying at hostels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
One thing to consider is just because you own a bus or an RV doesn't equal time in nature. Lot's of people buy a bus only to get stuck in a ghetto rundown RV park, Walmart or other unpleasant situation.

The reality of camping now days is it is usually very difficult to find nice spots in nature. Many times when you do find those spots they are crowded with generators, motor bikes, dogs, ect.

11k in "rustic" short term rentals could buy lots of nature time. In a 3rd world country that could buy years in nature.

Life is temporary there is not such thing as permanent living.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Just being curious, but why does it seem like so many people are trying to talk me out of the idea of the Skoolie life? I have been on Reddit too and getting similar responses.
I'm sorry if I came off as trying to talk you out of it. But I've seen hundreds of people who became startstruck following the blog posts, instagrams, youtube channels, etc. that glamorize the lifestyle. The "leave all your worries and problems behind and live out of school bus" people, which is a complete farce.

You're not leaving all the problems behind, your leaving your current problems for a set of new and different ones.

I guess I falsely assumed you were born and raised in the city, and didn't want to see you become one of the many who got found out the hard way it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Pooping in a bucket isn't glamorous, and learning things the hard way isn't fun. A lot of people I meet who "love" nature, could never survive in it.

I guess I also falsely assumed you were cash strapped because of covid, and I don't want to see you blow the last $10,000 you have to your name on a school bus, only to have it break down, and then have to forfeit the thing because you can't afford to fix it. I've seen that happen more then once too.

Sorry for the assumptions, they weren't made in jest, only because of your story sounding similar to that of many others. If you're still set on skoolie life, welcome aboard! But you best have your convictions in place and your determination focused, because you're going to need it. Owning a bus isn't cheap or easy, but most of us are always here to help, so we'll get you through it.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:

For getting stuck somewhere, I'm not really too worried. I have a room at my dad's house that I am always welcomed to if the going gets a little rough.

I honestly just want to go on an adventure/ challenge for a year.
I have met a lot of people that did the Skoolie life for a bit and it always seemed really appealing to me.

I would love to travel around the world and go backpacking for a bit, but with this Covid situation going on I feel a lot safer keeping it in the states. ( Mainly because I would be flying a lot and staying at hostels)
If your intention is to get into nature buying a school bus might not be the best way to access that. There are very few places where you can access and overnight park a bus in nature these days. The reality is most buses are stuck on paved roads, truck stops, RV parks and paid campgrounds. It is not a adventure I would classify as “nature”.

There are spots you can take buses into BLM lands and National Forest but they are few and far between. You will have extremely limited access compared to a van or pickup. With a $3k car, tent and backpack you will have much more access to nature then a school bus. With the saved gas and repair money you can rent lots of remote cabins

Are you looking to access nature or looking for a small house you can haul around the roadways ?

I am not trying to talk you out of a bus. I am just pointing out it isn't the best equipment if you are trying to get off the paved roadways and experience nature.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
If your intention is to get into nature buying a school bus might not be the best way to access that. There are very few places where you can access and overnight park a bus in nature these days. The reality is most buses are stuck on paved roads, truck stops, RV parks and paid campgrounds. It is not a adventure I would classify as “nature”.

There are spots you can take buses into BLM lands and National Forest but they are few and far between. You will have extremely limited access compared to a van or pickup. With a $3k car, tent and backpack you will have much more access to nature then a school bus. With the saved gas and repair money you can rent lots of remote cabins

Are you looking to access nature or looking for a small house you can haul around the roadways ?

I am not trying to talk you out of a bus. I am just pointing out it isn't the best equipment if you are trying to get off the paved roadways and experience nature.
I don't disagree that it would be easier with a car or a van, but we've not had any problems finding places to live in nature. We've got a full-size bus (aka whole house that we haul around). We're almost never less than 1/4 mile away from our nearest neighbor and we've rarely had to pay for a campsite. There's just so much free BLM and NF land in the west. We've never, in a year and a half, had to stay in an RV park or truck stop. Once you get the hang of boodocking/dispersed camping you open up a whole new world. It can totally be done, and probably even easier with shuttle bus or shortie that OP is considering.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't disagree that it would be easier with a car or a van, but we've not had any problems finding places to live in nature. We've got a full-size bus (aka whole house that we haul around). We're almost never less than 1/4 mile away from our nearest neighbor and we've rarely had to pay for a campsite. There's just so much free BLM and NF land in the west. We've never, in a year and a half, had to stay in an RV park or truck stop. Once you get the hang of boodocking/dispersed camping you open up a whole new world. It can totally be done, and probably even easier with shuttle bus or shortie that OP is considering.
A lot depends on what someone considers desirable in public lands. There is a lot of water-less BLM desert with no shade around. Free camping spots with shade and water are not as common or easily had in the west. Usually you have to drive and explore a long ways from populated areas.

Boondocking with a bus is totally possible, I would not recommend it to someone. Like anything, trade offs.
I feel like it a bus is not a great tool for scouting and exploring public lands. They are big which greatly limits mountain access and they are expensive to run. I see most buses and RVs stuck and the start of many access roads camping next to busy junctions while smaller vehicles are just down the road in much more secluded spots. Dealing with repairs in the backwoods can be challenging with small vehicles with a bus it can turn into a whole other level of $$$$. I have know of a few school buses abandoned in the woods.

If you really want to camp for a while it usually won't take long in a bus to get a 14-day warning when the ranger comes thru. With smaller vehicles you can move around and be much more stealth.

What's the best equipment for the adventure ? Might be a bus ? Personally I don't like to wander in big vehicles.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'm sorry if I came off as trying to talk you out of it. But I've seen hundreds of people who became startstruck following the blog posts, instagrams, youtube channels, etc. that glamorize the lifestyle. The "leave all your worries and problems behind and live out of school bus" people, which is a complete farce.
People need to be warned that this is _hard_work_ not to be underestimated. More than a few people came here with brand new accounts just to turn nasty and snap when someone warned them about what they were about to get into.

OP, don't take it negatively. Its kind of hard to overstate the work and risks involved. This is a fairly hardcore DIY community.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
There is the same issue with big boats, not appreciating how much time and expense is involved, only seeing the sales brochures.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

It's all good. I appreciate your honesty.
Like I said, I figure this isn't going to be easy. It would feel really great to say I accomplished something like this. A lot of my friends are settling down at my age and it would be nice to do something a little extreme before I follow their steps.

I grew up with my dad in the farm land. Before I moved to Chicago I was helping him cut down trees to keep our house warm with the woodburner.
Not a city boy at heart.

For money, I'm lucky I have a job in which I can travel or I would ditch the whole idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

You're not leaving all the problems behind, your leaving your current problems for a set of new and different ones.

I guess I falsely assumed you were born and raised in the city, and didn't want to see you become one of the many who got found out the hard way it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Pooping in a bucket isn't glamorous, and learning things the hard way isn't fun. A lot of people I meet who "love" nature, could never survive in it.

I guess I also falsely assumed you were cash strapped because of covid, and I don't want to see you blow the last $10,000 you have to your name on a school bus, only to have it break down, and then have to forfeit the thing because you can't afford to fix it. I've seen that happen more then once too.

Sorry for the assumptions, they weren't made in jest, only because of your story sounding similar to that of many others. If you're still set on skoolie life, welcome aboard! But you best have your convictions in place and your determination focused, because you're going to need it. Owning a bus isn't cheap or easy, but most of us are always here to help, so we'll get you through it.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate it man. The main reason I want a small bus is that I want to have a mini office on wheels. If you know of any good places that I could check out feel free to let me know.

Even if I have to pay for some spots I'm ok with that. It still would be cheaper then the rent I was paying.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #39

6.0 is not an engine I would pick
Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

If it is gas? I have been getting mixed opinions on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsong View Post
6.0 is not an engine I would pick