Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Skoolie auctions

Hi there! I’m looking to start a skoolie build for the first time. I heard school bus auctions are the best. I was hoping to work on this bus throughout the pandemic, but who knows at this point. I know I want a Thomas freightliner. It’s a size up from the smallest. I heard Thomas engines are best. Are there still auctions going on?

WindCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Thomas don’t make engines, they only make the bus body, I believe Thomas uses Freightliner chassis, and I think they like to use CAT and benz engines, both costly to fix and not the best skoolie engines. Stick to Cummins and International and cat as thrid place. Also to lessen repair bills find something pre 2004.

I am sure auction are still going on but with all the schools closed down in lots of states and nonessential biz closed the pickings will be slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindCopper View Post
Hi there! I’m looking to start a skoolie build for the first time. I heard school bus auctions are the best. I was hoping to work on this bus throughout the pandemic, but who knows at this point. I know I want a Thomas freightliner. It’s a size up from the smallest. I heard Thomas engines are best. Are there still auctions going on?
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Thomas don’t make engines, they only make the bus body, I believe Thomas uses Freightliner chassis, and I think they like to use CAT and benz engines, both costly to fix and not the best skoolie engines. Stick to Cummins and International and cat as thrid place. Also to lessen repair bills find something pre 2004.

I am sure auction are still going on but with all the schools closed down in lots of states and nonessential biz closed the pickings will be slim
I had to go Cat with my bus as I couldn't afford the repairs on my DT.
DT's aren't bulletproof by any means and the ones from 99-04 have a horrible condition that can develop wherein the inner and outer timing covers have to be replaced.
My Cat has been much easier on me than my previous engines which were always Internationals.
What part is more expensive? I'd really love to know, for a heads up. So far its all been right in line with every other medium duty diesel I've owned. Not even too hard to work on either. I've done my own maintenance on my buses and this one's a breeze.

I've had several buses and this Cat is by far my favorite. But everyone likes different stuff and I get that. Cummins are great engines but I don't like them. I think its the clattery sound. I'd hate to see someone pass up a nice bus with one because of internet rumors. They're not perfect, but they're better than most and as good as any.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I am a big fan of the wet and or sleeve engines the 8.3 and DT466, I am pretty sure the 3126 is not wet sleeved. Knowing I can rebuild my engine in the driveway is a bit selling point for me. I don’t know if the Benz engines are sleeved
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
I am a big fan of the wet and or sleeve engines the 8.3 and DT466, I am pretty sure the 3126 is not wet sleeved. Knowing I can rebuild my engine in the driveway is a bit selling point for me. I don’t know if the Benz engines are sleeved

My last DT with 180k had a bad timing cover... The coolant eats through it.
Ten thousand dollar job to fix one.
Not even seasoned mechanics wana do that job. let alone in their driveway.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello!! | Hello! »