Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie, Motorcoach, Partially Converted or Not?

Hey peeps. My name is Anj. I'm 33 and new here. A few years ago, I bought a Class B-RV, with the intention of traveling/touring in promotion of my new record ( I was at the time a singer/songwriter). But on the night that I bought the RV, my boyfriend and bandmate got hit by a car. He suffered a traumatic brain injury which was devastating. I've been his caregiver ever since and its been 2 years, 8 months.

He has recovered well all things considered, and I want to revive my dream. In the past few years, I've fallen in love with the idea of converting a bus into a tiny home. But now I want to combine my passion for TBI Awareness and turn it into something more. I WANT TO CONVERT A BUS! And I want to book a public speaking tour so we can share our story and raise awareness. I want to meet the fellow survivors who follow our blog! And then I want to create a book, entitled "THE UNITED STATES OF TBI" about our experiences on the road.

I have come here for some help and support. I'd like to convert a Gillig or Crown! I don't know the first thing about it of course, but have been researching like crazy for weeks and learning all I can.

Do you guys think that with an 8-9 month window I could get this done? Would I better off just buying a rig ( which I hate the idea of )? OR a partially converted coach I could finish? I had read that insurance can be tough with Skoolies so I was shying away from them. Maybe I could get a bus that is done where I could just remodel it aesthetically?

If you aren't handy, but want to learn, how do you get it done? Do I just hire electricians and plumbers and contractors for the bus? Or do I need legit RV people to help?

Ok... hope i don't sound too stupid. :

girasoledonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Welcome aboard!
And bless you for being a caregiver at a time of need.

I'm new here also, and I'm still learning a lot.
Just bought my bus July 4th.
Gotta be moved into in September 1st, ready or not.

I missed the TBI definition.
I know it's not Throttle Body Injector like my old Chevy blazer

Edit:
I just dawned on me...
Traumatic Brain Injury !

My bad
Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

hahah yes. Traumatic Brain Injury. Sorry its a abbreviation I use often! WOW july to september. How will you get it done so fast? What did you buy?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by girasoledonna View Post
hahah yes. Traumatic Brain Injury. Sorry its a abbreviation I use often! WOW july to september. How will you get it done so fast? What did you buy?
I can live pretty simple... I've been in a 10x20 storage building for a year on August 1st... I've got EVERYTHING I NEED. (Need vs. want)

Retired Air Force Ambulance I'd been chasing for a year, finally caught it.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/im...now-14306.html

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/im...ong-11259.html
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Embracing the challenge!

Hello Girasoledonna!

I hope all is well. I'm fairly new to the Skoolie Forum; but I'm able to offer some valuable perspective as it relates to your conversion delimma. Considering my skoolie conversion goals are an extension of both personal and professional interests as well, I also found myself considering a similiar question as to whether I should go skoolie, partially converted coach etc. Considering I've maintained interest in motorcoaches for quite some time, it was no surprise my sites were set on obtaining one of those gigantic beauty's.

However, many of the motorcoaches I've seen, and toured, are beautiful; but massive in size. With respect to those who drive them, I thought it would be a bit more convenient to have a skoolie; as they appear a bit easier to drive (maneuvering wise), easier to park and incorporate into your travel and lodging plans. (Primarily due to their school bus sizing and origin of utilization.) With a variety of models to choose from, it appears securing a school bus that suits your sizing and conversion needs wouldn't pose much of a challenge.

In terms of purchasing a partially converted schoolie or starting from scratch, this comes down to personal preference. As an individual who values the investment of creative and craftsman sweat equity into a project, I'm very fond of building from scratch; as I feel a greater sense of pride, joy and achievement accompany's the completion of such a decent-sized project approached in this fashion. (Not to mention, there's an abundance of ways your journey of converting the bus can/will inspire others; in addition to the inspirational journey both you and your husband are already on.) The skoolie community is growing, and based on my analysis, hasn't reached its hieght yet. Therefore, the documenting of your conversion process alone would likely prove rewarding for you; and encouraging to those who mentally double-dutch about whether they have what it takes to complete such a task.

Many seasoned skoolie convertors site the importance of educating one's self about their bus of choice prior to purchasing; in addition to valid points regarding maintenence costs, repairs etc. However, I personally believe the feeling of liberation that follows taking your first trip on the freeway in your converted skoolie would outweigh many, if not all, of the "potential challenges" you'd encounter with a project of this caliber. The only thing that would garner my consideration of a partially converted coach would be how close to my skoolie vision the partially converted skoolie is. With partial conversions, there's a fine line between "having to make small adjustments to get everything just right" and "dismantling everything due to your realizing there's a few major pre-installed factors that just don't mesh with your vision". Both scenarios have their benefits and disadvantages; with "timing and budget" being the sugar or spice that determines the appeal of either metaphorical cup of tea you'd choose in this regard.

My skoolie project is the extension of my family’s desire to live abroad; partnered with the traveling Literacy Appreciation Initiative of my daughter and I which has recently gotten underway. I have a diverse professional background fueled by my entrepreneurialism; with my humbling abundance of natural abilities and
drive as a 28 year-old supporting my unwavering belief that "committed hearts are just as valuable as knowledgable minds during times when things need to get done". I'm a thinker, so I won't dare use the cliche of "don't overthink it". However, I will say the final decision in your delimma comes down to "what you want to see visually and feel internally" once your skoolie is right in front of you, and your husbands', eyes. I encourage you to build from scratch and employ help as you need it; while further enhancing the resiliency showcased by you, and your husband, at a time many others would have given up rather than take a new task on.

-Mr. Neal
Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hey peeps. My name is Anj. I'm 33 and new here. A few years ago, I bought a Class B-RV, with the intention of traveling/touring in promotion of my new record ( I was at the time a singer/songwriter). But on the night that I bought the RV, my boyfriend and bandmate got hit by a car. He suffered a traumatic brain injury which was devastating. I've been his caregiver ever since and its been 2 years, 8 months.

He has recovered well all things considered, and I want to revive my dream. In the past few years, I've fallen in love with the idea of converting a bus into a tiny home. But now I want to combine my passion for TBI Awareness and turn it into something more. I WANT TO CONVERT A BUS! And I want to book a public speaking tour so we can share our story and raise awareness. I want to meet the fellow survivors who follow our blog! And then I want to create a book, entitled "THE UNITED STATES OF TBI" about our experiences on the road.

I have come here for some help and support. I'd like to convert a Gillig or Crown! I don't know the first thing about it of course, but have been researching like crazy for weeks and learning all I can.

Do you guys think that with an 8-9 month window I could get this done? Would I better off just buying a rig ( which I hate the idea of )? OR a partially converted coach I could finish? I had read that insurance can be tough with Skoolies so I was shying away from them. Maybe I could get a bus that is done where I could just remodel it aesthetically?

If you aren't handy, but want to learn, how do you get it done? Do I just hire electricians and plumbers and contractors for the bus? Or do I need legit RV people to help?

Ok... hope i don't sound too stupid. :
Hello Girasoledonna!

I hope all is well. I'm fairly new to the Skoolie Forum; but I'm able to offer some valuable perspective as it relates to your conversion delimma. Considering my skoolie conversion goals are an extension of both personal and professional interests as well, I also found myself considering a similiar question as to whether I should go skoolie, partially converted coach etc. Considering I've maintained interest in motorcoaches for quite some time, it was no surprise my sites were set on obtaining one of those gigantic beauty's.

However, many of the motorcoaches I've seen, and toured, are beautiful; but massive in size. With respect to those who drive them, I thought it would be a bit more convenient to have a skoolie; as they appear a bit easier to drive (maneuvering wise), easier to park and incorporate into your travel and lodging plans. (Primarily due to their school bus sizing and origin of utilization.) With a variety of models to choose from, it appears securing a school bus that suits your sizing and conversion needs wouldn't pose much of a challenge.

In terms of purchasing a partially converted schoolie or starting from scratch, this comes down to personal preference. As an individual who values the investment of creative and craftsman sweat equity into a project, I'm very fond of building from scratch; as I feel a greater sense of pride, joy and achievement accompany's the completion of such a decent-sized project approached in this fashion. (Not to mention, there's an abundance of ways your journey of converting the bus can/will inspire others; in addition to the inspirational journey both you and your husband are already on.) The skoolie community is growing, and based on my analysis, hasn't reached its hieght yet. Therefore, the documenting of your conversion process alone would likely prove rewarding for you; and encouraging to those who mentally double-dutch about whether they have what it takes to complete such a task.

Many seasoned skoolie convertors site the importance of educating one's self about their bus of choice prior to purchasing; in addition to valid points regarding maintenence costs, repairs etc. However, I personally believe the feeling of liberation that follows taking your first trip on the freeway in your converted skoolie would outweigh many, if not all, of the "potential challenges" you'd encounter with a project of this caliber. The only thing that would garner my consideration of a partially converted coach would be how close to my skoolie vision the partially converted skoolie is. With partial conversions, there's a fine line between "having to make small adjustments to get everything just right" and "dismantling everything due to your realizing there's a few major pre-installed factors that just don't mesh with your vision". Both scenarios have their benefits and disadvantages; with "timing and budget" being the sugar or spice that determines the appeal of either metaphorical cup of tea you'd choose in this regard.

My skoolie project is the extension of my family’s desire to live abroad; partnered with the traveling Literacy Appreciation Initiative of my daughter and I which has recently gotten underway. I have a diverse professional background fueled by my entrepreneurialism; with my humbling abundance of natural abilities and
drive as a 28 year-old supporting my unwavering belief that "committed hearts are just as valuable as knowledgable minds during times when things need to get done". I'm a thinker, so I won't dare use the cliche of "don't overthink it". However, I will say the final decision in your delimma comes down to "what you want to see visually and feel internally" once your skoolie is right in front of you, and your husbands', eyes. I encourage you to build from scratch and employ help as you need it; while further enhancing the resiliency showcased by you, and your husband, at a time many others would have given up rather than take a new task on.

-Mr. Neal
Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'll add my 2 cents.
Once you're barreling down the freeway in a school bus the coaches and semi trucks fly right by you and look like they're floating on clouds.
I'm not in any hurry, but when you have 800 miles of interstate to go, it does become noticeable how badass a coach would be for actual travel.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll add my 2 cents.
Once you're barreling down the freeway in a school bus the coaches and semi trucks fly right by you and look like they're floating on clouds.
I'm not in any hurry, but when you have 800 miles of interstate to go, it does become noticeable how badass a coach would be for actual travel.

I used to drive a couple of friends I knew back and forth to florida once or twice a year in their brand new Prevost "custom coach" conversion... im not sure how many 100s of 1000s of dollars they paid for it... they bought it and knocked over a dumpster in the parking lot of the dealer.. called me crying and said "help!".. no one but me ever took the driver seat after that... yes that coach ran down the freeway as fast as I wanted it to... but honestly even that bad boy over about 70 MPH was a handfull esp on windy days (which the trip from ohio to florida and back gets frequently in spring and fall)... so I typically ran that coach at 65-70 and it was happy as could be...

when I got my skoolie i was happy as a camper that it would run 65 on the highway at its max.. i drove it from florida to ohio this way.. and when I put 6 new tires on it went up a size.. so it would even go 68 then...

but REALITY is that the last road trip i ran with it.. a mere 140 miles round trip i ran it at 60 just to try it.. and wow my bus drove like a total dream...

yes you can buyt school busses that will go 80 and lots of people here will tell you faster is better.. but i have learned that for me im enjoying my bus and the trips more by running slower... and greatly increased my MPG's too..

buy ing ab us and travelling the country speaking and singing is an incredible idea... and one that doesnt require 75 MPH... so enjoy the ride!! look forward to seeing your move forward!!.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Dude, I was going 63 for 800 miles watching EVERY vehicle leave me like I was standing still.
For interstate miles a real coach is FAR superior.
Interestingly, some school buses CAN go 80 mph stock. But they don't have the ride and handling of a coach.
Found this on YT this morning- sucker must have a RAD drivetrain
Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I 100% agree .. remember I drove many 1000s in that brand new prevost.. all iom saying is at 70-75 MPH *ANY* high profile vehicle gets to be a handful if it gerts breezy or you are in the mountains..

no question about it that prevost was incredible with cameras , air ride all the way around, air seat, climate control, cross-wind assist, etc etc.. that thing was quieter than a mercedes in the driver seat...

my point was dont expect to go 80 all the time in ANY bus...

that prevost had 400 or 450 horsepower so uphills we always at whatever speed i wanted... I have no idea of the engine or transmission other than I think it was a Cat..

Trip-busses dont come cheap... used or new... at leats not ones in good shape... and you think skoolies are pricey to get fixed professionally think about what it cost the movie studio just to get his vanhool home... my guess is tons of $$

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coaches add an additional expense over a skoolie. An older one will be a two-cycle and is more difficult to get parts for and mechanics to work on. The new ones are four-stroke but more expensive to repair and maintain. Remember, these are heavy duty platforms as opposed to a skoolie's medium duty. Provost moved from DD to Volvo engines when they were sold. A solid, mid-eighties coach can be had for $10k.

Today's light-duty diesels out run the old stock 71 & 92 series two-strokes and are far more efficient to boot. If I were wealthy, I'd put a late model Ford, GM or Cummins in an RE skoolie and call it a day. With the cruise set to 55-65, on an open road, bussin is great.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for the feedback

Thanks guys for the feedback! I just saw it today and its EXACTLY the kind of dialogue I was hoping for... my boyfriend and I will be visiting every state in the country and traveling A LOT... so I'm wondering now if my original coach idea conversion might still be the way to go. It sounds like based on what you guys have said, that it will be much harder to do repairs on it and maintain it. I was thinking of a Gillig.. I don't want anything though that I cant take to a national state park, so nothing bigger than 35 feet. I was wondering if you were in my position, how do I go about best researching the best bus? I just read Gilligs were very good? A gillig is a coach right?

If you were going to buy a coach under 35 feet, what would you suggest? How old is too old? Could I do one from the 80s, partially converted and just remodel it to make it look modern? Or I could just buy a bus and start from scratch. What would you estimate I would need to buy and convert a coach? Also, is GM the same as greyhound? I know it stands for general motors but i see these two used interchangeabley sometimes. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me questioning your ears off! I just want to make sure I buy the right bus!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

An MCI MC5 executive coach would fit the bill nicely.
If I were gonna do hard interstate miles that's what I'd go with.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

thank you! And MCI huh I don't know anything about that coach I will look at one! Can you tell me why that coach fits the bill, so I can learn what you know about it?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

another question I have is this: I hear that with school buses you can go just about anywhere, but with a coach not so much... so for instance if we want to stay in state parks, we cant with a coach? Or we can? I mean I know with off roading you cant do that with a 35 foot coach.. but with a school bus you could.. But is that the only thing limiting you with a coach really?

Would you suggest if we are traveling a lot that we sell our 2011 Kia Soul Hatchback or tow it as a toad? My boyfriend does not drive due to his handicap only me. I do think a coach would be nicer for more space for him.. with his disability.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Those look AWESOME!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
thank you! And MCI huh I don't know anything about that coach I will look at one! Can you tell me why that coach fits the bill, so I can learn what you know about it?
MCI's are NICE. A buddy of mine put a million miles on his driving around bands and celebrities in the 90's.
The mc5's are nice because they're shorter than the full length models and don't have the tag axles in the rear.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Im an idiot because a GILLIG IS A SCHOOL BUS. Lol. So I guess I need to rethink that if i want to go coach? For an MCI can you give me more thoughts on transmission, engine etc? And should I aim for an 80's, 90's, etc or earlier? I never know if an older bus is a good idea...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
...and don't forget the mostly stainless MCI 9's!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

is an MCI a motorhome? or a bus? Cause I was trying to avoid a motorhome for all the reasons we avoid motorhomes hahahah