Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

skoolie newbie

hi just joined the community! I am currently looking for a place to start my conversion as well as seeking out a bus to convert! I am looking to travel full time and head for the west coast next spring, with my two dogs Bear and Luna.

lulushredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Considering that you don't yet have the bus or a place to build it, unless you have very minimal requirements or a nice bankroll you're going to be hard pressed to be completed by spring. A small bus with a minimal build could be probably be on the road in that time frame but it wouldn't have much in the way of comfort systems.

Aside from heading west with two dogs, what are you looking to do?

Are you envisioning a "short bus" or a longer one?
What comforts do you require and what would you like?
Toilet?
Shower?
Water heater?

Fresh/grey water tanks?
Refrigerator?
AC without running the engine?

Heat source?
True bed, an airbed, a cot?
Stove or just a camp stove?

You should think these things through before you buy a bus.

We have a 40' diesel pusher and we are having a hard time fitting all the things we want but we're planning to live in ours full time when retired while traveling the country as well as Canada and Alaska so we have to have a lot. So we are paying a lot and will pay a lot in fuel as well as not be able to access places that a smaller rig could.

A young person can deal with a lot fewer "comforts" if they're willing. Which simplifies the build and makes it cheaper (and quicker). It also allows a smaller rig which may cost less to buy as well as less to operate (think fuel costs).
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

For the most part I would like to be able to live in different parts of the country for six months or so at a time. A week or two just isn’t long enough to explore as much as I’d like, having spent a few weeks in my car just visiting southern oregon last year. All of those amenities would be preferable, but not required to start traveling. I have about $15k to put towards the project at this time. My biggest concern is where the bus can be kept; pretty sure that will always be a concern though :/
lulushredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Well if you have sufficient income you can stay in RV parks with a weekly or monthly rate, have full hookups, and not have to invest as much into "off grid" capabilities.

If you have friends and relatives in places you want to stay that's a possibility though you'll often find that cities have ordinances against living in an RV and HOA's typically don't have any friendly rules.

West of the Mississippi there is a large amount of public land. BLM dispersed camping is 14 days before having to move at least 25 miles. But you'll need to plan for off grid self sufficiency. And while you might be fine, I don't think I'd want to leave my rig out in the middle of nowhere to go exploring.

On street parking seems to be getting more and more restricted for even overnight parking. Along the 101 in Oregon for instance there are excellent places along the ocean but quite a few of them are posted no overnight parking. It seems these are all near cities that have commercial campgrounds but that may just be my perception. There are still plenty of them where you can park but long term isn't an option.

Lots of factors, some will apply, others won't.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote