Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Re3000
Engine: 7.3 international
Skoolie on the Texas coast

Hi everyone,
To start out me and my girlfriend just bought a 1999 re Amtran! We are planning to live in it for the next 5 years or so and travel around the U.S.
So far we have taken out all of the seats, interior panels, drivers seat and wood floors, also we just got done with the framing for our sub floor. We should be getting a rv this week that we can use for parts so more progress is about to happen. We are here for advice and ideas! So don't hold back.

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

photo upload
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
That is a NICE bus!! Does it have the DT466 or the super rare DT530?
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!! Got it for a steal as well. Sorry should have added that, it's got the t444e with a Allison mt643!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Well Hot Damn...Another Texas Skoolie! --- Welcome...you are just down the road from several other skoolie builders here in Houston. And it looks like you are off to a rip-roaring start on a solid platform.

Best of luck on the build out and don't hesitate to give a shout to the Texas Chapter if you find yourself in need of anything.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Glad there are more skoolies around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Well Hot Damn...Another Texas Skoolie! --- Welcome...you are just down the road from several other skoolie builders here in Houston. And it looks like you are off to a rip-roaring start on a solid platform.

Best of luck on the build out and don't hesitate to give a shout to the Texas Chapter if you find yourself in need of anything.
Awesome! I didn't think there were any skoolie around, also I have so many questions lol. And what is the Texas chapter?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
The reference to the "Texas Chapter" isn't anything official...just referring to the herd of members who are here in the Houston area. There are probably a half dozen skoolies in progress locally.

Off the top of my head there is "Flyboy"..."M1031A1"...myself and a few others are spread around the greater Houston area. A few of us have gotten together and shared war stories and looked at each others projects. Maybe it is time for another gathering. Just sharing info on local resources is valuable. Steel suppliers...machine shops...sheetmetal shops...parts sources...etc.

Once again...welcome to the madness.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The reference to the "Texas Chapter" isn't anything official...just referring to the herd of members who are here in the Houston area. There are probably a half dozen skoolies in progress locally.

Off the top of my head there is "Flyboy"..."M1031A1"...myself and a few others are spread around the greater Houston area. A few of us have gotten together and shared war stories and looked at each others projects. Maybe it is time for another gathering. Just sharing info on local resources is valuable. Steel suppliers...machine shops...sheetmetal shops...parts sources...etc.

Once again...welcome to the madness.
That would be awesome! When ever yall plan on having a meet just let me know, I will try my hardest to get out to it. Also is there any where in the area that has skoolie parts?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hey Brandon, congrats on getting a Skoolie. I have a '99 Amtran as well but mine is a front engine. Hope to meet up with you someday in the Houston area.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Hey Brandon, congrats on getting a Skoolie. I have a '99 Amtran as well but mine is a front engine. Hope to meet up with you someday in the Houston area.
Thanks man! I swear I saw one driving today in Santa Fe, would that happened to be you? And same to you still need a few things before I can drive mine.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Congrats on the AmTran! We had a bunch of those in the Katy ISD system when I was working for them. Watch out for the crosswinds in that. The handling goes away quickly if you're not paying attention. I drove four of those whenever my Thomas was getting serviced or needed a repair. We're due up for another get-together soon. I now work for Houston Metro. Tango if you hear an MCI coach bus honking going by your shop after, say, oh, 3:00 p.m. or so, odds are it's me saying "Hi" and "Are you there?"........
Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Congrats on the AmTran! We had a bunch of those in the Katy ISD system when I was working for them. Watch out for the crosswinds in that. The handling goes away quickly if you're not paying attention. I drove four of those whenever my Thomas was getting serviced or needed a repair. We're due up for another get-together soon. I now work for Houston Metro. Tango if you hear an MCI coach bus honking going by your shop after, say, oh, 3:00 p.m. or so, odds are it's me saying "Hi" and "Are you there?"........
Thanks man! Loving the Amtran, no rivets to really speak of on the interior made it an easy job to get the paneling off. But this one came from Katy isd, so you may have worked on it a time or two lol. But thanks for the heads up i haven't gotten to drive it yet hopefully soon if I can find this unfindable part.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
No, that wasn't me. I live way up on the NW side of Houston, near Tomball. Let us know what kind of parts you're looking for. If we don't know of someplace local we'll probably have a website that can help you.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Thanks man! Loving the Amtran, no rivets to really speak of on the interior made it an easy job to get the paneling off. But this one came from Katy isd, so you may have worked on it a time or two lol. But thanks for the heads up i haven't gotten to drive it yet hopefully soon if I can find this unfindable part.
Wow they must have changed things up at AmTran dramatically. My 92 had more rivets inside than ANY other brand of school bus I've seen.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Brandon, what's the bus number? Not only could I have serviced it, but I could have driven it as well! Small world huh? I can tell you which yard had it by the bus number. IF it was 303, change out the water pump NOW, and I mean NOW!!!!! It had chronic overheating to the point the regular driver had the wire to the warning buzzer CUT!!!!! It was that way for TWO years! So here's to hoping you got any other bus but 303.......
Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Brandon, what's the bus number? Not only could I have serviced it, but I could have driven it as well! Small world huh? I can tell you which yard had it by the bus number. IF it was 303, change out the water pump NOW, and I mean NOW!!!!! It had chronic overheating to the point the regular driver had the wire to the warning buzzer CUT!!!!! It was that way for TWO years! So here's to hoping you got any other bus but 303.......
Very small world lol, but luckily I didn't get that one I got 307. I haven't started it yet but soon I should. Since you have working on them I have a question, the transmission filters they are relocated are they male or female?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Wow they must have changed things up at AmTran dramatically. My 92 had more rivets inside than ANY other brand of school bus I've seen.
There was only about 10 rivets in total, but 1000 or so screws later the panels are out lol.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
No, that wasn't me. I live way up on the NW side of Houston, near Tomball. Let us know what kind of parts you're looking for. If we don't know of someplace local we'll probably have a website that can help you.
Oh okay yeah must not have been you then, but thanks man. I'm looking for a cluster, and transmission filter housing mine is missing the male-male fitting that connects the filter to the housing.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Very small world lol, but luckily I didn't get that one I got 307. I haven't started it yet but soon I should. Since you have working on them I have a question, the transmission filters they are relocated are they male or female?
I can't remember. It's been a while (a year or so) since I serviced them. Wish I could be better help. Sorry......
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I can't remember. It's been a while (a year or so) since I serviced them. Wish I could be better help. Sorry......
It's all good man, the dealers can't even figure it out lol. But did Katy do good maintenance on their buses? Also do they sell parts I need a cluster.