Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Bluebird
So I bought a Bus!?!?

Today I bought a 40' 2004 Bluebird Transit bus to convert and I cannot even begin to tell you what I am feeling! I am really excited to see where this new adventure takes me, but I am also scared out of my mind. What did I do? Am I crazy? I love the conversions that I see out there and on the internet, but will I be able to pull this off? I took it to have it checked out by mechanic and guys over at Thermo King and they thought I was a nuts! What do they know? Just because I am a girl doesn't mean I can't pull this off......right? I have read so much and have enjoyed reading the forums here. I look forward to reading more and getting advise along the way. Here are some pics!
Attached Thumbnails
bus left side.jpg   bus right side.jpg   bus end.jpg   bus inside.jpg  

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! --- And you go girl! Nice looking rig.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you! Are you in Houston too? If so, maybe I can get some tips about local help with this project. I am going to store it on a friends property, but will need to hire out some of the work. Let me know if you know anybody in Houston for things like electric work and plumbing.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You're in Houston?...cool. What part of town? Just make sure you have it stored on high ground.

The plumbing is pretty straightforward but the electrical on an RV conversion can be tricky. If you plan on a generator, having shore power and that sort of thing you really need to read up. There are some Mobile RV Electricians locally, but they are crazy expensive and the only one I talked to was hugely unimpressive.

There is an excellent website that's chock full of electro-savvy called The No Shock Zone. Here's the link...

No Shock Zone

And don't be shy about asking questions. There is a great community here and many are very experienced.

Oh...and our one abiding rule is...you Gotta Post Pix, or it didn't happen.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks again, I will check out no shock zone. I live near downtown and work in med center. I have been reading a lot, but it is all intimidating. I will definitely be asking a lot of questions and showing off my hard work.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Hey Christine,

I'm in Katy just west of y'all. If you're looking to dump some seats, I'd love to take some off your hands. I have a Thomas (1989) Saf-T-Liner. I've been looking for some comfy seats to replace the school bus seats. Lemme know if that's ok.

M
Old 08-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post

M

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hi Christine...Welcome! You have a really nice bus there! You can do it...Just know that it might not go as quickly as you had hoped. Do you have any help?
I'm just a girl, doing it on my own...taking it one day at a time. It does get frustrating at times but I know I can see this through and end up with something awesome
Good luck and ask as many questions as you need

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome and what a great looking rig you have there.
Buying that is a great start and with your attitude and persistence you can make it happen. There are all kinds of talented men and women on this forum to assist you with most or any questions.
Just let it happen one day at a time and be ready to handle certain frustrations that pop up, as we all have had happen.
That bus actually makes me envious compared to my clunker, lol!

John
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
great looking rig!!!! I want some of those cushy seats!!!

seems youll be in good company in houston, therers a lot of good folk there!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hey Christine,

I'm in Katy just west of y'all. If you're looking to dump some seats, I'd love to take some off your hands. I have a Thomas (1989) Saf-T-Liner. I've been looking for some comfy seats to replace the school bus seats. Lemme know if that's ok.

M
I am going to get rid of all of them, but was thinking I might be able to get a little cash to help with my build. Saw others selling them on craigs list, but not sure if they had any luck. I will let you know if I decide I just need to dump them!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I am just a girl, doing it on my own too. I will be enlisting my friends to help, but that does not always go as planned. I have two years to get this finished before I hit the road as a travel nurse. I think I can make it happen by then. Thank you for the encouragement. I am feeling the Oh crap moment today. I bought a bus!!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Christopher. I thought it was very cool. Cannot wait to make it into my home. I thought the idea was to get rid of the seats!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I might be interested in several of them (and help with removal when I visit Houston next). I'm planning to convert mine into a party-wagon and this would save me a lot of time and cost.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Thank you Christopher. I thought it was very cool. Cannot wait to make it into my home. I thought the idea was to get rid of the seats!
my bus is a cruiser.. I carry work stuff and then drive it on road trips.. and when im home, friends and i use it to go out places together.. it started with me almost always being the DD for our outings as i only drink once in a while.. so when I got the bus everyone was like "big time DD" .. its also great for going to events and such where parking is a premium..ive found many events welcome busses.. or like at the christmas-light drive thru's last year.. they waived us through for free(we ended up making a donation) as they thought it was cool a bunch of guys got a red and white school bus and were out having fun...

I just finished cols OH - Knoxville - Macon - Orlando - Asheville NC - St pete - Cols OH 15 day work and play road trip in it...

-Christopher
Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I just finished cols OH - Knoxville - Macon - Orlando - Asheville NC - St pete - Cols OH 15 day work and play road trip in it...

-Christopher
I thought you were going to pay me a visit on your way through GA?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:14 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Christine,

I thought the same thing too. All I got for all my seats was $15 from the scrap man. Not much call for used bus seats I have found in my experiences. I'd just be interested in one from each side of the bus to make my dinette. You might want to keep a set for doing the same thing. Just a thought.

M
Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #18
Bus Geek

brad - on way down I thought I read where you were out of town. Way back friday I had to get back, no worries I'll be back and forth soon so we just need to coordinate where I can stop in
Christopher
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Christine,

I thought the same thing too. All I got for all my seats was $15 from the scrap man. Not much call for used bus seats I have found in my experiences. I'd just be interested in one from each side of the bus to make my dinette. You might want to keep a set for doing the same thing. Just a thought.

M
I think that I can part with two seats! I will let you know when I actually start pulling them out.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

That is awesome use of your ride. Let me know if you make it my way. Maybe I will still have some seats around.