Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Bluebird
Ok, let me know when you will be in Houston and we can make arrangements.

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my bus is a cruiser.. I carry work stuff and then drive it on road trips.. and when im home, friends and i use it to go out places together.. it started with me almost always being the DD for our outings as i only drink once in a while.. so when I got the bus everyone was like "big time DD" .. its also great for going to events and such where parking is a premium..ive found many events welcome busses.. or like at the christmas-light drive thru's last year.. they waived us through for free(we ended up making a donation) as they thought it was cool a bunch of guys got a red and white school bus and were out having fun...

I just finished cols OH - Knoxville - Macon - Orlando - Asheville NC - St pete - Cols OH 15 day work and play road trip in it...

-Christopher
That is awesome use of your ride. Let me know if you make it my way. Maybe I will still have some seats around.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I might be interested in several of them (and help with removal when I visit Houston next). I'm planning to convert mine into a party-wagon and this would save me a lot of time and cost.
Ok, let me know when you will be in Houston and we can make arrangements.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

You can do it!!
Loved reading this post. So happy for you! Can't wait to see the progress!
Red Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I think that I can part with two seats! I will let you know when I actually start pulling them out.
AWESOME!!! Let me know when you want some help!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Christine, welcome to the forum, from another Houston area member. Can't wait to see, where your journey takes you. I can't begin to imagine where, in the downtown area, you store your bus. I hope you have a place that will let you work there, as well.
If Christopher and you work something out on the seats, I'll be happy to store them for him/you till he gets this way. IMHO you might do well to barter for some of his knowledge, and skills. You read enough threads, and you'll quickly see what I mean.
I am limited in the mobility department, but if I can help, at all, I'll be happy to try. BTW which school are you attending, for your degree?
Best of luck
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
If Christopher wants to pick up some of those seats in GA instead, I can transport and store a few more. I already want at least a dozen or 16.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Man, I want some!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
i want 6..(3 right and 3 left) and likewise brad - if I end uop in houston first im more than happy to take some to georgia.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The standard school bus seats in mine are cool, and in nice shape. But they're horrible to ride on. A pair of these would be awesome for long trips!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The standard school bus seats in mine are cool, and in nice shape. But they're horrible to ride on. A pair of these would be awesome for long trips!
mine too... eveidently elementary kids didnt razorblade or stick chewing gum to bottoms of seats .. lolol
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
So how's it going? Get over the shock yet? Once I started taking the seats out and got that accomplished, that feeling pretty much went away. I'd love to know if you got the chance to do anything yet

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
So how's it going? Get over the shock yet? Once I started taking the seats out and got that accomplished, that feeling pretty much went away. I'd love to know if you got the chance to do anything yet

Same here! I have my family ready to help with the seat removal. Just let us know when you want help and where to go!!!!!

M
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Same here! I have my family ready to help with the seat removal. Just let us know when you want help and where to go!!!!! [emoji3]

M
That is so nice of you. I wish I lived closer to other skoolies because I'd love to help with things I've gained experience with.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Getting things started!

Update....

With the heat of August and hurricane Harvey, I have only been able to physically work on the bus 2 days now. I feel like I have accomplished a lot though and my body thinks I have too! I ache all over.

Day 1: Removed all the seats. It went smoother than I expected. Only took about 3-4 hours to get them all out with just me and my friend Dean. I managed to sell them and make some cash back to reinvest into the bus!!

Day 2: Managed to get almost half of the flooring out. Ran into some rust and with the recent hurricane, fresh water. I have a leak somewhere that will need further investigation.

Question, I think I should remove all of the inside paneling to investigate what is going on in there. My reasoning: 1. I want to know what my bus is made of and what it is insulated with, 2. I want to know all possible places it may be leaking and fix, before spending $$$ to build on top of possible problem. Dean thinks I should leave the walls as is and build over, or just tear out where it seems there may be a leak. He currently thinks he needs to help me write this too! Can someone who knows more than the two of us, weigh in? Thank you.

Here are some pics of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
bus seats out.JPG   IMG_7473.JPG   IMG_7485.JPG   IMG_7496.JPG   IMG_7494.JPG  

IMG_7495.JPG  
Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Update....

Question, I think I should remove all of the inside paneling to investigate what is going on in there.
Looking Good !

I'd def take a peek now as it will be tough later once walls are in. I don't like nasty surprises. MOST is probably fine, it's just those 2 bad spots...

update your bus profile/location when you get a chance. Dogo has to go where the action is- they sure look confused when you demolish.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Rusty. I think I updated info just now.
Did you mean dog? If so, that's Nalo and he about kills me on a daily basis. He thinks there is no better place to be than under my feet. I finally had to make him sit in the drivers seat, to avoid injuries to us both.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
you actually got somebody to give you cash for seats ???? wow you got our respect went thru houston wed on us59 its what i expected texans going like hell to get things fixed again no sitting around crying there
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #39

I'll be with you in solidarity, girl! I just bought a '94 Chevy short bus and am going to convert it into a camper. Just know that you're not alone navigating the good-ole' boys at the hardware stores and auto parts shop as a free, powerful woman!
chicalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Crazy glue

Hi everyone!
Update- Finally got all of the flooring out, figured out how to open all windows. Let me just say that I wish I had figured that out in July instead of October!

I moving on to panels and ceiling, but want to get the nasty glue around the edges of floor cleaned off. Anyone know what chemical I might use to make this stuff easier to scrape up? I know there has got to be something, but don't want to do the trial and error thing if someone who has done this before has a good idea! Please help!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5076.JPG   IMG_5072.JPG   IMG_5077.JPG