Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2023, 01:19 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas bus
Chassis: 43634
Engine: 350 Gmc Savanah cut away
Rated Cap: 30
Solar panels/ Bus contour

Hi, I am brand new to the site and brand new to skoolie building. My question is in two parts.My 2002 Gmc 5 window has an almost round roof. When installing solar panels, is it ok to follow the contours of the roof?
Second question: Has anyone installed flashing around your panels to eliminate lift?

Shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
Hi, I am brand new to the site and brand new to skoolie building. My question is in two parts.My 2002 Gmc 5 window has an almost round roof. When installing solar panels, is it ok to follow the contours of the roof?
Second question: Has anyone installed flashing around your panels to eliminate lift?
If you have the panels tilted in different directions you will not reach full potential as far as the wattage they can produce, especially if ran in series. The sun rarely rises straight above and if you happen to be parked in a way that has one side of your panels tilted away from the sun that is a lot of lost power.

Yes, although I don't have any example threads I can give you at the moment some have installed flashing around their panels to eliminate lift. Most I have seen were custom sheet metal blended in with body filler.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
When installing solar panels, is it ok to follow the contours of the roof?
Like Mr. House says, if you install rows of panels tilted to each side of your bus then you'll almost always have one row which isn't working as well. You can minimize the impact by putting each side string on a separate charge controller, but that only keeps the shaded panels from killing your array...it won't solve the problem of one side being angled the wrong way.

Personally, I mount the panels flat and securely enough that I don't have to worry about lift. I would not install flashing, because having freedom for air flow below the panels can help keep them cooler and more efficient. But that's my personal preference and there are aesthetic reasons one might want a flashing. I even considered something like that, but with faux windows, to make a fake trolley top to hide the panels on top (on a vintage bus).
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
short bus conversion, solar panel installation, solar panels