Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Solar Renogy 24v 300w

Hello new to the skoolie community. We are almost to point in the build to purchase solar panels. My question is Renogy 300w 24v panels a good choice I can get some local ( save me shipping ). I've heard good things about running a 24v system and just drop down to 12v for what ever is needed.
Thanks The_transient_vagabonds

TransientVagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site TV.

Not sure why you are choosing a 24volt system as 24v. is a bit overkill for running just the basics, but if you have a bunch of appliances or other loads then it might be useful...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

I found them local I didn't want to deal with the shipping. I've read a few forum post about 24v systems and it was all positive. We will have a mini split probably 7.6 Galanz fridge & few other appliances.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Renogy has free shipping on most of what they sell.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have 400 watts of Renogy panels at 12 volt and am very happy with them.

How many panels do you plan? The advantage of 24 volt is smaller gauge wire, and less current loose. To run a mini split it is not going to be a small system so 24volt might well be a good idea.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I have 400 watts of Renogy panels at 12 volt and am very happy with them.

How many panels do you plan? The advantage of 24 volt is smaller gauge wire, and less current loose. To run a mini split it is not going to be a small system so 24volt might well be a good idea.
I'm planning on running 5 panlels for 1500w.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
The size and weight of solar panel wire is not too significant for a 20,000lb bus,
Any inverter should be close to the battery pack so not an issue with wire size to feed high amps.
What can be significant is whether you can get what you want to run on 24vdc directly.
The market for RVs tends to 12v because that is what vehicle alternators produce.
48vdc is better, but I have not noticed a lot of stuff runs on 48vdc.

The are lots of variables and pros and cons, the unfortunate answer is kindof like you need to build your system, and once you have it all done and working, then you will find out the best way you SHOULD have built it. So in some sense, maybe best advice start with simple so if you change it, not a lot to change.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransientVagabonds View Post
Hello new to the skoolie community. We are almost to point in the build to purchase solar panels. My question is Renogy 300w 24v panels a good choice I can get some local ( save me shipping ). I've heard good things about running a 24v system and just drop down to 12v for what ever is needed.
Thanks The_transient_vagabonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Not sure why you are choosing a 24volt system as 24v. is a bit overkill

"24V" solar panels =/= a 24V system (in fact "24V" solar panels are not even 24V, they are closer to 36V per panel).

In a modern system with an MPPT solar charge controller. PV array voltage and system voltage are independent of each other. The only condition that has to be met is PV array voltage must be sufficiently higher than system voltage.

larger panels are fine and can be sourced cheaper, all the people you see using the residential sized panels are using 60 or 72 or even 96 cell panels (a "12v" panel is 36 cells).

As for battery bank voltage, there are definitely pros and cons to either option. 24v is better suited for medium to large systems, particularly where a large inverter or solar array will be used, and particularly if most of your loads will be AC loads or can be found in 24v (there is a much smaller selection of 24v components compared to 12v, but (unlike 48v) you can usually find at least one option for most mobile or marine components, and lots of '12v' components are actually 12/24 if you read the fine print). Both are fairly 'safe' voltages, 48vdc you have to worry a bit more about shock hazard but its still relatively low risk, nowhere near as dangerous as 120 or 240 VAC.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#skooliebuild, #solar