Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Start living the dream

Hi all I am thrilled to take this as a first step towards finally following through on a long time dream I’ve had.
So the background.
From the time I was 11 (m32) I have had the specter of a bus in my life. You see my uncle had acquired an old Ford bus (63-73? Maybe) that had belonged to his close friend. It was converted in 82 and lived in, “following The Dead” until Jerry died. then touring with the previous owners band until the suicide of the original owner in the bus (real sad story not relevant to this post) in the late nineties and that’s how it passed into my uncle’s hands and he kept it basically unchanged for years on my grandparents property. I really wish I had pictures of the bus in its original state it was done up inside with crushed velvet on all the cabinets and a truly bitchin diarama of what could best be discribed as an ode to the hobbit with crystals and semi precious stones and action figures and even the old “snow white and the seven dwarves” McDonald’s toys, remember the ones that were like little train cars with the dwarves, anyway it was lovingly done and a very unique bus with an interesting history and it lived in the background of my life fo over a decade as something that “one day” my uncle was going to do something with. I grew up and through my various experiences ended up traveling across much of the United States in a little truck with a camper shell dreaming of one day fixing up my uncles old bus by this point though the old interior has been scrapped and it had been sitting without being ran for over 10 years and my uncle wasn’t interested in selling it to me. then tragedy struck my family and I lost my dad and little sister in a car accident and spiraled to a pretty dark place that I eventually pulled myself up from and with the little bit I received from a settlement I finally bought the bus from my uncle (there are title issues that I will be asking advice about at some point) since then I had my first kid and have been plying my trade as a painter in a city about 3 hours drive from my bus and thus unable to work on it regularly but my fiancé has agreed that this next tax return is going to the bus finally. we’re gonna move back to live with our family while we work on the bus I have a good job lined up and all the tools I may need and some skilled people who are willing to help me if I get stuck on the revamp I plan to strip the inside all the way down to the metal and sandblast ( the job I have lined up is with a sandblasting company) before coating insulating and re wiring/re plumbing I will also obviously be going through the drivetrain and gas tank and putting new hoses filters and new tires all the way around the bus I recognize the enormity of the task ahead Of me and know that there will be stumbling blocks but I am very excited to begin a journey that started in the dreams of my childhood
Attached Thumbnails
2F13F656-D706-4315-9078-2AB00988D209.jpg   4244B74A-55B4-4ECA-BC14-E0CBCFDB28F3.jpg   0AEFBBD5-B964-4974-ADC3-1D0555861259.jpg  

Dread pirate Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: DT 466
Looks really nice good luck with it.
Joe redd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b600, classic bus, first bus