Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #1

Stem Bus!

Hey everyone, I'm Patrick, part of a high school robotics team that thrives on creativity and innovation. We're on a mission to convert a school bus into a mobile hub for our activities, and we need your collective wisdom!

We're diving into the exciting world of DIY bus conversion and could use some tips and tricks on painting the exterior ourselves. Any advice on durable paint choices and application techniques would be awesome.

But wait, there's more! Inside, we're planning to set up some killer shelving and tables. Any creative ideas or lessons learned from your own conversions would be golden.

Lastly, we're tackling the electrical system next. We're aiming for a decent-sized setup to power our robotics gear and keep the creativity flowing. Any guidance on a reliable electrical system for a bus conversion would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to tapping into this amazing community's knowledge. Let the bus transformation adventures begin!

Banjoman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:08 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Everything is broken down in the forums by sections. We have an electrical forum you can browse for all you need to know.

We have a drivetrain and body forum. Paint is just any kind of paint you can spray, followed by clear coats to help it stick. It's a bus so a lot of sanding to rough it up.

You'll have to browse like all of us do and learn, but if you have a specific question, ask away and someone will answer.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:59 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the first thing I would begin to reaearch would be the type of bus you want.. long short, full chassis or van cutaway.. and who its going to be titled to... as young high school students insurance may become a huge challenge unless its going to be registered and insured to say a teacher..

a van cutaway may present a better option because registrar and insurance companies look at them more like a regular passenger van vs a big bus..

this is an awesome project.. I was part of a project years ago where a bus was converted into a code-camp by a few college students.. they travelled around to high schools and junior high schools to introduce kids to the back end behind the seens of technology and writing simple code back before the acronym STEM was widely used..

this was back in the early 00's.. I helped to build the heating and air conditioning systems for their bus..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
for your equipment. down one side build shelves wrapped in expanded metal for cages and about work table height make that cage door fold down with chains to catch it and then it can used as your work benches. and it will keep everything secure while travelling.
they didnt build a bus because the school hauled them around but when my children were in school i did get to help there STEM group build a few robots for there annual competitions.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, painting, renovation, tips, tricks