Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Storage and work place for Pasadena TX. Skoolies

Well it looks like I'll have to be moving the the bus build out of the driveway. Don't know for sure 100% yet but I need to start looking. Had the bus in a regular storage place for the first few months before I brought her home. Any Houston skoolies make any suggestions, know of any places that I won't have to render myself less an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance!!

jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Well it looks like I'll have to be moving the the bus build out of the driveway. Don't know for sure 100% yet but I need to start looking. Had the bus in a regular storage place for the first few months before I brought her home. Any Houston skoolies make any suggestions, know of any places that I won't have to render myself less an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance!!
I'm not too far from you Jim. I'm over between Alvin & Manvel. I'll look around. I'll shoot you a PM if I can find anything. Are you trying to stay in the Pasadena area?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

I really appreciate that Phatman! I'd like to stay as close as possible. But then again nothing is "just a short drive" in Texas. I've got one guy that has indoor storage I'm calling tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
Skoolie

On 5-11-2020 I came home to a notice on my front door. Obviously it's from code enforcement. So................. 5-12-2020,the next day I call the "investigator" and question as to what I'm in violation of. First I ask if a complaint was filed, and her response was yes. Second I ask her what facts made you come to the conclusion that this was a school bus. Her immediate response was that it is a school bus. I in turn respond back to her that it is in no way a school bus and that it is in fact registered as an RV/motorhome. I also inform her that it's not parked in the front yard, but is in fact parked in the driveway. She then tells me that those facts don't matter and that it can not be parked there and that she will have it towed if it is not removed.So I ask if she can send me the exact violations in which this notice applies. Absolutely she says, I have to do that as part of my case.
5-13-2020.... I receive a from the "investigators" supervisor. Being an unexpected call I was unable to record this call. He wants to know how this matter can be resolved and settled in a reasonable manner. He even offers to give me until june 1st to remove the "so called school bus". In all honesty I did say to him that I was exploring options. He then went on about "if everyone parked a "school bus" in their yard", and how it might lower property values, and various other rivers of **** out his mouth. No real agreement was ever come to because I wanted to know exactly what I was in violation of. After all, if I'm being accused of something, my accuser or a representative of my accuser, should present to me the proof that this accusation is based on.
5-21-2020.... I once again call the code enforcement office. Investigator S. Poteet is out, and I am referred to the supervisor. I'll just list everything from this call so I don't bore you.
1) I question my violation details that should have been sent certified mail by now.
2) I'm told that S. Poteet has been out of the office.
3)Long story short, I want to know what my violations are, the letter hasn't been sent out yet even after being told it would be 2 weeks prior.
5-31-2020.... Seeing how the post office doesn't deliver regular mail on Sundays, I can say that it has now been almost 3 weeks. Has the USPS really gotten that slow??
Please don't hesitate to comment!! Ask questions!!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I had my bus at my house for almost a month straight back in January and one of my neighbors called code enforcement on me. The dude was actually pretty cool and he came by when I was getting the bus ready to move back to my lot so there wasn't really a problem. I showed him my motorhome registration and he acknowledged that since I'm a resident, I have the legal right to store my motorhome at my residence (this is in the statutes for the town I live in, and RVs parked in driveways are not uncommon here).

I don't want trouble with my neighbors so I now only bring the bus to my house on weekdays and I don't leave it overnight. The code enforcement guy suggested that the main issue the complaining neighbors had was the fact that the bus is still school bus yellow (and honestly pretty junky-looking, especially the back end that shows to everybody driving by). If I lose my current parking spot (owner sold the property to his daughter who is now going to raise everybody's rent) and have to bring the bus home for a while, I'm going to paint the outside although I wasn't planning on doing that yet.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I took my title and registration to city hall and played nice while questioning their calling my motorhome a bus. Now I've got a letter showing I'm allowed to park in my yard.
Whatever you do stay very nice and civil.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Whatever you do stay very nice and civil.
^^^ This

Seems like if you're allowed to park a motorhome on your property, and the state recognizes your rig as a motorhome, they don't have any legs to stand on.

Fight. Back.

This is why I'm hoping to avoid places with zoning boards and no way in heck am I ever participating in a HOA.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
Skoolie

Every neighborhood has a "Gladice Cravits" and mine is 3 houses down. Anything she doesn't like the look of she calls the city on. There's multiple neighbors on my street she's called on over the years. Funny thing is, I just sold my 28 foot step van back at the beginning of the year. That step van was more parked in my driveway than not for 5 straight years. Never once was there a complaint or a violation issued on it from the city.I don't have an issue with having to move the thing. The issue I have is that the code enforcement department hasn't done the job completely or correctly. I was told by the reporting investigator who posted the notice that she had to send certified mail explaining the exact violations, as that is required for the case.And yes, I have recorded record of that. I also have her supervisor stating the same. Long story short, if they are going to accuse me of a violation, then they should back that accusation with proper and correct information.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
What’s the update on this? I’m from Pasadena and now live In Baytown
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
Skoolie

The update so far is Pasadena code enforcement 0, legally parked and registered RV owner 1. You know you have them in the wrong when they get irate and flustered to the point of hanging up on you. And yes, she was yelling at me when she hung up. They expected me to just roll over and follow their commands like most do. Well, I'm not most. Especially when they changed their story on the violations from the 1st notice left to the certified notice they sent me.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
The update so far is Pasadena code enforcement 0, legally parked and registered RV owner 1.
Nice, man.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote