Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Summer Skoolie For Summer Vacation

Visa issues are going to make returning the USA this summer no go. Japan is off the menu this year too, so we'll remain here in Vietnam. I've wanted to convert a Coaster to RV since 2010, but Japan taxes & parking regulations makes this unrealistic. So, when I see Coasters converted in Australia & New Zealand...I

A converted Scenicruiser is the dream, but money and using it only over the summer makes a 25' and shorter bus far more realistic. I see that most people here go for newer skoolies...which makes sense, but I'm a History teacher, so I like 1970 and older buses. I've found two transit (rather than school buses) that seriously interest me, but I wonder how many people in the skoolie world know about a lot more short old buses (converted or non converted) for sale.

1938 Yellow Coach Bus Model 733
Trucks & Pickups | Motion Unlimited Museum

Ideally, a Cummins 4BT with Allison 1000/2000 AT (I refuse to shift). Realistically and faster, a Vortec 4200 I6 gasoline engine out of a Trailblazer. The original engine had less than 100hp while the Vortec 4200 can be tuned to 280hp.

1941 Yellow Coach Model 2706
https://www.busesforsale.com/bus/5693-1941Yellow2706

Ford engine in the rear with manual transmission. Ideally, a Cummins 6BT, but I don't know for certain if the Allison HT740 will work in this configuration. Has anyone ever converted a rear transverse engine bus to AT?

I have so much to research and learn. Since I won't be able to have my paperwork renewed here in Vietnam in time to return to the US for summer, I have time. Plus, Covid-19 is far more under control here than in the US making it safer to remain here than visit family in the US this summer.

Hiura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
I had never heard of the term Coaster before so I looked it up. Cool looking bus style! Probably has one of those legendary Isuzu diesel engines that get great mileage and run forever. Australia has them already converted and would save a lot of build time.

Good luck in the search!
Attached Thumbnails
coaster bus.jpg  
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Most of the major Japanese brands have their version of small bus. Every preschool has at least one.

The Coaster is the most popular with the15B-FTE used in the Toyota Mega Cruiser.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Coaster

Nissan Civilian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Civilian

Mitsubishi Fuso Rosa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Fuso_Rosa

Isuzu Journey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Journey

Daihatsu Delta Bus (never saw one in person, but there have been LHD versions)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fileaihatsu_Delta_1992_(45947025321).jpg

and

Hino, which is a subsidiary of Toyota. My personal favorite bus from Hino is the Hino Poncho:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hino_Poncho

Any bus over 25 years old on the date of import is legal in case anyone wants to try the RHD world. There was talk of changing the law to taxing the number of miles driving rather than engine size/weight, but Covid-19 pretty much put a stop to that consideration. Maybe later. IF the taxes were to go down, then I could seriously consider doing a bus conversion in Japan. Not likely for some time though. There is also to the toll road system that does charge by vehicle size/weight.

The US is more realistic.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I like your eye for buses. The coaster and both the '38 and '41 look very similar. The '41 looks great for its age in the photos ... but it is for rent only. The '38 would be a PROJECT.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

The 1941was for sale on Ebay and an email from way back before the Ebay listing said to make an offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Yellow...s/333541591658

It fell through because I didn't get approved for the US-based conference, so I stayed here in Asia. I love the '41 size, shape and overall design aesthetic. My only concern is I just refuse to shift a bus. A rear engine would be quieter than the 1938, but the 1938 Model 733 would be easier to swap a diesel and AT like an Allison 1000/2000.

I'm reading more and more about the US economy, so maybe it is beneficial to be patient and just shop and continue to binge watch channels like Bussy McBusface and others. I've seen people with solid plans from the start that they see through to the finish and other people making things up as they go along.

I think going in with a full plan and materials sourced is the way to go. I'm hoping someone somewhere has a rear transverse engine bus and has swapped in an AT or I find out that it is impossible and that I need to move along. I'm a student all over again.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I'll still learning ... that is how I love life. Every day is a new and interesting learning experience. Yesterday, I learned of Coasters due to YOU.

Are you a Vietnam citizen?

You mentioned Japan ... is that where you would like to live?

You also mention the US ... and visas ... so would a purchase in the US mean you would be living here as well? -or- Just long enough to do a conversion then export it out?
Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Full American married to a Japanese. I'd leave it in the US at my brother's place. Being an overseas history teacher, I've gotten bitten by the travel bug, and that is why I sooooooo want a vintage bus and to show my sons the US in a way that I could not even dream of when I was a kid. My family never traveled when I was growing up, but I do now! AirAsia flights at $40USD per ticket. Yeh...I'm gonna travel.

I read an article about some guy RVing across Vietnam. Check out the traffic videos here on YouTube. Nah, I'm good enough with my scooter.

I'll likely return to Florida to retire at some point and split my time between there and Japan until I get too old to travel. Until then, I'd like family explorations of North America over the summers.

Parents homeschooling kids during Covid-19 are like this is just another day!
Old 04-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiura View Post
I've gotten bitten by the travel bug, and that is why I sooooooo want a vintage bus and to show my sons the US in a way that I could not even dream of when I was a kid. My family never traveled when I was growing up, but I do now! AirAsia flights at $40USD per ticket. Yeh...I'm gonna travel.
Wow, that would be a wonderful gift to your son ... and to you and your wife. I had no idea $40.00 flights are available.

Quote:
I read an article about some guy RVing across Vietnam. Check out the traffic videos here on YouTube. Nah, I'm good enough with my scooter.
LOL ... I'd prefer an enduro over there! Just not enough power when you need it in a scooter.

Quote:
I'll likely return to Florida to retire at some point and split my time between there and Japan until I get too old to travel. Until then, I'd like family explorations of North America over the summers.
Interesting ... we a "moving to the magic" ... Walt Disney World. We plan to travel from there once we settle in.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

If you get a Florida ID, amusement parks are cheaper. Good to get.

I'll ask once more and then let this go, but....

Will and Allison B500 Automatic work with a transverse engine? I've searched, but I would so prefer to just sit down and have a beer with someone knowledgeable to find out what is (and is not) possible so I can plan it all out before starting so no surprises. Ive seen so many projects stall because a lack of planning.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Visa issues are going to make returning the USA this summer no go.
If you have any questions I... I mean a friend of mine, is an Immigration Officer (😉) and I, I mean he, could provide some advice. Not specific information about your specific case, just general info about different visas and immigration. Shoot me a private message with any questions and I will see what "my friend" has to say!!😂
MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
If you get a Florida ID, amusement parks are cheaper. Good to get.

I'll ask once more and then let this go, but....

Will and Allison B500 Automatic work with a transverse engine? I've searched, but I would so prefer to just sit down and have a beer with someone knowledgeable to find out what is (and is not) possible so I can plan it all out before starting so no surprises. Ive seen so many projects stall because a lack of planning.

I would suggest you give CadillacKid a PM to ask him.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
If you have any questions I... I mean a friend of mine, is an Immigration Officer (😉) and I, I mean he, could provide some advice. Not specific information about your specific case, just general info about different visas and immigration. Shoot me a private message with any questions and I will see what "my friend" has to say!!😂

Visa issues here in Vietnam. I'm from Florida. I can leave VN, but getting allowed back in to my job is the problem.

Plus, I live in Vietnam now. If I need help smuggling people into the US, I already know where to go for that. So much shadyness going on here I had to get a VPN because so many businesses back home block servers here. for the offer though.

Off to annoy CadillacKid like I'm the Annoying Orange!

Tags
yellow coach