Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

texasjordan

Looking for advice on school bus purchase for a conversion. I want lots of length, best headroom, best engine, etc. I have been researching for about 2 months and have my own opinion, like Cummings over Cat. I really like the Blue Bird All American for the extra under carriage storage and power. Any thoughts from you more experienced Skoolies? I am new and just read the trials and tribulations of the build and journey around the country of the young man from Maryland. Better read than most books. I am planning a build and a trip myself. I like the idea of the kid Hank of Hank bought a bus of having as much visual space above the windows as possible to keep the bus as non-clostrophobic as possible. Any advice would be appreciate. I am enjoying the site immensely so far.

TexasJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome

Best place to start is the build thread section. There you will find some amazing conversions full of idea's. Some become life stories full of adventure and experience on both the build and using the bus.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f3/

I would start with the builds over 20 pages long. That will get you into the serious builds and passed the ones that barely get started before getting scrapped or sold.

Happy reading.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

texasjordan

Thanks Nat,
I have been reading the posts and have been thoroughly entertained. Especially by porkchops and his build. I have been web searching everything I can about school bus conversions and am learning alot. I loose sleep over thoughts of my build and the fun and freedom it will bring me, my wife and 4 boys. I just thought the collective mind might speed at least the thought of which bus is in everyone's mind as the perfect conversion bus for travelling around the good old U. S. Of A. I have been told that Cummins wins over Cat and I am definitely buying a rear engine bus. My thought is that some of the already white activity or prison buses are good choices due to you do not have to repaint as well as many already have air conditioning and undercarriage storage. Anyway, thanks for the direction and I am looking forward to reading and learning more. I am impressed with everyone's hospitality to help rookies learn. Thanks again, Jordan.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I had a long shopping list for mine: rear engine, Cummins 8.3 or bigger, air ride, high roof, storage bays, air conditioning, and can't remember what else. Truth be told, I don't know whether what I wanted could even be ordered from the factory, much less found on the used market!

Finally I found one with the Cummins 8.3 in the rear and resolved I'd have to fill in the rest if I continued to feel strongly about those. So far I've raised the roof and am in process building storage bays. It was nice to know what I wanted, but in the end the #3 requirement after pusher style and Cummins was "sooner rather than later."
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

It sounds like we are in the same camp. I have heard Cummins 8.3 over Cat, I prefer rear engine for obvious reasons. I like the already white Blue Bird All American because some have storage already under the carriage and have good air conditioners. I have been eyeing some Blue Bird yellow buses but am not really wanting to paint the bus. I am still compiling my plan and hope to start soon. Keep me posted. Send some pics if you have any. Thanks, Jordan.