Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: E450 Accessible
Engine: Ford 6.0L diesel
The Bus Came by and I Got On, This is where it all began......

Just Another Bus Conversion Genesis and I've been told this is THE place to lay down Our Story.....

Ive owned a travel trailer for number of years but covid made this year incredibly easy to get away for days on end and finally use it to it potential. My better half was also draggin around our pair of seadoos ( 2 Vehicles, 3hrs each way NO BUENO) So we started to look at RVs online... Little out of the price range at the moment for an unemployed/ Online Snack salesmen (@RareSnacks_Toronto)

Then a few days ago I came across what seemed like a too good to be true deal (Pinch Pinch) with our 2006 Ford E450 Accessible Shuttle Bus. 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Engine with 79,000kms ( 50,000mi) It was owned by a local home for adults with challenges, and has been certified CVOR twice a year for up until 2019. Its been sitting for a bit but runs starts drives and although the brakes went WAY WAY down to the floor the bus stops. We picked it up last night for $2000CDN ($1525 USD) AS IS, and immediately Dropped it off at my mechanic friend for a safety inspection. Ive spoke with my local MTO and made arrangements to have it converted over from a commercial vehicle to a passenger Vehicle, and with any luck will have it home by late next week Ready to Rumble.

I will be doing the conversion with the help of my better half @jamiebby.710 and also my friend who happens to own an RV dealership ( Nice guy to know in this instance). The idea right now is to buy a salvage insurance or just water damaged travel trailer and use the components from that ( water tanks, propane system, appliances, shower etc) inside the bus whenever possible. This should include the water monitor system as well the carbon monoxide detection systems. But Ill get this beauty how and start to take some pictures before i start my day dreaming...

So before I start asking a bunch of questions you guys are bored of answering over and over, ill poke around a the lot a little ( use the search), eat a couple grilled cheese and if you have any questions for me Id be happy to answer them in-between sets (binge watching youtube videos).....

Cheers
Leines

Leines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Congratulations leines.

Sounds like a good price

You might want to check on the year or the engine the 7.3 was only up to 2003 in the econoline. After that it became a 6.0.
The 6.0 is a bit more temperamental ,as so I have been told, without personal experience. Maybe have the mechanic take a look at it.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yep wrong engine 6.0L is correct. I came back to say that and you beat me to it!

The bus is at mechanic getting a full check over but it came with a great service history, which I’m going to dissect a little bit more once I get it back home.

One thing I’m trying to understand what to do with and I haven’t found a video specific to it yet is the box heaters in the back on the floor. I saw one person remove them and it leaked coolant and apparently was a big mistake in their build. But it does seem like most remove them thoughts???
Old 11-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I think it depends on your layout. In our small bus elfie we put a much bigger core in so that we could use lower fan speed settings.. less noise and less power draw.
It would be good if you can find out what maintenance and upgrades were done to the engine.

After a couple of post you can show some pics.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I think it depends on your layout. In our small bus elfie we put a much bigger core in so that we could use lower fan speed settings.. less noise and less power draw.
It would be good if you can find out what maintenance and upgrades were done to the engine.

After a couple of post you can show some pics.

Johan
My thought was to try and convert them into a ducted system of sorts. Since it seems the rear roof unit and these heaters are all connected into the engine block is seems problematic and time consuming to remove a working system. I do have a roof top trailer AC system to install for when the bus is stopped and on shore power or generator...

Anticipating a call from the mechanic middle of next week and just praying the bus is in relatively good shape and doesn’t require much for safety. I know these 6.0L engines are much more problematic then the 7.3L I thought was in the bus but I still feel I’m in good position having paid $2000 Canadian for something with such low miles and meticulous service records..
Old 11-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 6.0 can be a great engine.. I would suggest getting set up to have a computer readout while you are driving.. in stock form the head gaskets werent near as much an issue as when people tune them. . the 2 biggies on the 6.0 were the oil cooler and the EGR cooler.. there are upgraded aftermarket parts to solve both issues..

EGR coolers going bad often showed itself as the engine running hot or hearing exhaust leaks / running low turbo boost pressure..

oil coolers failing resulted in oil / coolant mix or engine oil temperatures running hot..

being able to have a screen that shows boost, oil temp, engine temp, lets you keep close eye on it.. overheating is an easy way to destroy a diesel engine / blow head gaskets..

6.0s treated right have long healthy Lifespans..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 6.0 can be a great engine.. I would suggest getting set up to have a computer readout while you are driving.. in stock form the head gaskets werent near as much an issue as when people tune them. . the 2 biggies on the 6.0 were the oil cooler and the EGR cooler.. there are upgraded aftermarket parts to solve both issues..

EGR coolers going bad often showed itself as the engine running hot or hearing exhaust leaks / running low turbo boost pressure..

oil coolers failing resulted in oil / coolant mix or engine oil temperatures running hot..

being able to have a screen that shows boost, oil temp, engine temp, lets you keep close eye on it.. overheating is an easy way to destroy a diesel engine / blow head gaskets..

6.0s treated right have long healthy Lifespans..
Not gonna lie, I’ve seen you reply to a few threads over the last few days and was hoping that you would chime in here at some point.
To be honest I feel like I’m in this thing right at the moment that if the mechanic said it’s junk I could sell it or use it for a bunkie on my property and not feel bad about it. That being said she drove pretty nice for the 30min drive to the mechanics besides the breaks.
It seems people take out a lot of the factory components like AC, Rear heaters and wiring in the front box. I also have a wheelchair lift I need to remove which I’ve seen are not the easiest. Apparently there is a charity that will come remove them for free but I haven’t been able to find one local to me. I figured it’s gotta be worth money to the right person in working condition but I’m open to suggestions on that issue as well.

Haven’t heard anything from the mechanic. But he’s a high school friend and he’s super reasonable with me and services all my trucks and vehicles.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
post a CL ad saying free handicap lift, you remove. Just watch them do all the work so they don't do any damage.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
post a CL ad saying free handicap lift, you remove. Just watch them do all the work so they don't do any damage.
Not a bad idea. If it was. Little more slim on the interior I would consider keeping it and incorporating it into my outdoor kitchen idea...
Old 11-16-2020, 05:29 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leines View Post
Not a bad idea. If it was. Little more slim on the interior I would consider keeping it and incorporating it into my outdoor kitchen idea...
I used to go to beach concerts with a friend who used a power wheelchair. He’d bring a small rug as a tablecloth and a camp chair for me, I’d bring the food and beer. I’m keeping the lift/deck/table on my bus!
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leines View Post
Welcome to the Crazies !!! Lot of great folks on this forum. I disconnected the wiring harness and hydraulics, marked everything and then removed the lift down to a heavy duty dolly. Put it on Craigslist and had it sold in just a few days. Guess it hit at the right time and someone needed it. Good luck !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplansail View Post
I used to go to beach concerts with a friend who used a power wheelchair. He’d bring a small rug as a tablecloth and a camp chair for me, I’d bring the food and beer. I’m keeping the lift/deck/table on my bus!
My grandma lives with us and is in a wheelchair so good chance I will hold off the demo until after we can take her to see the Christmas lights in the shuttle. Just seems like a shame to have it when someone could really benefit from it a lot, that’s why I was hoping to donate it.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Welcome to the Crazies !!! Lot of great folks on this forum. I disconnected the wiring harness and hydraulics, marked everything and then removed the lift down to a heavy duty dolly. Put it on Craigslist and had it sold in just a few days. Guess it hit at the right time and someone needed it. Good luck !!
Just one of the crazies forum I’ve been apart of over the years. Good chance I blend right in with the crowd and find a spot in the lot somewhere close to the action!

Thinking I will spend the first part of this project working on the engine and mechanical of the bus before I tear into the back. If I’m investing this much effort time and money I wanna make sure she is good for hundreds of thousands of miles more up front to get me down the road!

Does anyone have a specific suggestion for a display unit for oil temp coolant temp etc? I’ve seen bully dog and edge evolution “tuner” boxes but I’m not sure if that’s exactly what I need or a little overkill? They run about $500 give or take
Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I had a SCT Livewire TS but that was also a tuner/code reader etc... I used it in my Ford Excursion with the 6.0. It's a bit more pricey and I don't think you are looking for a tuner too (I wouldn't suggest tuning the 6.0 but if you do you can make it much more fun).

For a little under $100 you can get a Blue Driver scan tool (slightly cheaper if you order direct from their website than from Amazon - I noticed it was on sale during Amazon days sale recently so if you wait till Black Friday it might be on sale again). It plugs in to your obd2 port and connects to your smart phone through bluetooth - it has an option to monitor engine parameters like temperature etc... I have one but I haven't had a chance to look too closely at what engine parameters it will support and it may even be different on a different vehicle.

I hope to set mine up to view engine info on my bus but I've had trouble connecting to my engine computer... I'm hoping my welder didn't destroy something when the hitch went on but that's another story.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

So after some help on the Ford trucks forum it was suggested to get a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Forscan app for iPad to monitor the engine temperatures and vital engine numbers to prevent a failure.
I’ve secure a spot to store both the shuttle and possible the donor travel trailer. Also they are an RV dealer who is going to help us out with a place to work on the conversion and some guidance.

Spoke with the mechanic he hasn’t got to checking the bus, Hoping to do it tomorrow. He is also interested in contributing to the project with his help and expertise.

So it looks like we have a couple quasi sponsors for the build every dollar will certainly count
Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Most mechanics aren’t going to know what to check properly in that engine. If you want a thorough analysis of it you’ll need a good diesel mechanic who knows what to look for. Maybe the guy you have knows but most won’t really.
I’m not sure if it was mentioned above but a few things you want to have checked before you put a bunch of time and money into the bus is the condition of the oil cooler and if the head gasket(s) are blown. There’s a bunch of other things that can be pricey to fix but those are two big ones.
Others I’d suggest:
High pressure oil pump (hpop)
Egr cooler - I’d delete it if I were you because if this clogs up it can lead to head gasket failure
Fuel injection control module (ficm)

Don’t ever do a coolant flush on it as that can stir up debris and clog the coolant passages in the oil cooler - instead drain all the coolant and refill with fresh and install a coolant filter. They’re not hard to install.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
Most mechanics aren’t going to know what to check properly in that engine. If you want a thorough analysis of it you’ll need a good diesel mechanic who knows what to look for. Maybe the guy you have knows but most won’t really.
I’m not sure if it was mentioned above but a few things you want to have checked before you put a bunch of time and money into the bus is the condition of the oil cooler and if the head gasket(s) are blown. There’s a bunch of other things that can be pricey to fix but those are two big ones.
Others I’d suggest:
High pressure oil pump (hpop)
Egr cooler - I’d delete it if I were you because if this clogs up it can lead to head gasket failure
Fuel injection control module (ficm)

Don’t ever do a coolant flush on it as that can stir up debris and clog the coolant passages in the oil cooler - instead drain all the coolant and refill with fresh and install a coolant filter. They’re not hard to install.
Thankfully Matt is a bit of an internet guy like myself. I’ve known him since high school and he’s pretty good about letting me research the **** outta stuff and then bringing him the necessary parts and he does the rest. I’ve got a big list between here and the ford trucks forum on things to check. The idea is to get the mechanical good before I start the demo.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

So I didn’t forget about this but winter did get in the way. Recently I purchased a donor trailer for $600. Has a roof top AC unit, 2way Fridge/freezer, Water Heater, Three Burner Stove Top, and a Furance that all seem to function properly. I assume the water tanks all three should also be present. Thetford toilet in good shape, shower has small tub that’s kinda icky but not horrible, undecided if I will keep shower components.... the shore power system is working, the 12V lights all work if I wish to repurpose those.
The plan is to start demo of the shuttle floor etc in the next week. I’ve went and bought a full line of Milwaukee m12 and m18 tools for the project. Just chomping at the bit to get cracking.