Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: Cat C7 7.3L
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
Cool The I do too much research guy

Howdy, been on here for a few months. I'm about a year away from starting my skoolie project, so I'm soaking up all the data, opinions, facts vs. "facts", and forms and functions in my quest to put together my full time home.

I'm planning on bringing along my motorcycle(s) so including a rear area with room for two motorcycles is a central theme in all of my design ideas. A roof raise is on the "must haves" list as well.

enigmamdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I wonder if a handicap lift would be powerful enough to lift a bike? Figure a 100# chair and a 200#+ chair occupant....not sure if an attendant rides up on the lift too.
Something else for you to research...
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
Lightest ones I've read lift about 600 pounds, other are 800-1100 pounds, etc. Can get just about what you want. Used, try and find a label with the rating or look up the manufacturer, etc.

BaconFarms
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Yup, as stated above most are rated at 800 pounds. I ride a sport bike and a dirt bike. I could ride up with a bike and not tax the system. I got the idea from You Tube-r Moto Giant.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
One of our friends carries their harley inside their bus and their wheelchair lift is not able to lift it... They use it to hold a ramp instead.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I wonder if a handicap lift would be powerful enough to lift a bike? Figure a 100# chair and a 200#+ chair occupant....not sure if an attendant rides up on the lift too.
Something else for you to research...
MSot are rated for 800 lbs.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

800lbs is right for most lifts.. Not sure if hogs, or larger road bikes will work, but even larger dirt, or dual sports, will.
Look at Dreadman's buses.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Ours is rated for 800lbs (Brawn), which as the others have stated, is pretty typical. The largest measured load we've used it for so far is lifting the 500lbs of deep cycle batteries into the bus. It handled it without an issue. Our future toy is a BMW Isetta which tips the scale at 750lbs, but it won't fit through the opening.....
Old 01-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you read into limits, that 800lb capacity says it will hold 1200lbs, but we don't recommend it. A new Harley Street Glide weighs just over 825lbs. My Vulcan is over 750lbs. I would imagine the lift will handle any bike that will fit on the lift. The ramp will need to be modified in length.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
modifying(lengthening) the ramp is going to change the capacity of that lift.. you have a longer "lever" pulling in a different direction on the lift, its supports, and mechanism.. all has to be calculated
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
modifying(lengthening) the ramp is going to change the capacity of that lift.. you have a longer "lever" pulling in a different direction on the lift, its supports, and mechanism.. all has to be calculated
Yes, this is true! ^^
Old 01-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Insightful comments, all (thanks).

I have considered these points as well, The ramp will have a sliding rail extension of 1.5 feet. The heavier of my motorcycles is well under #400 pounds (think Yamaha R1/Ducati 999 on ridiculous TI/Carbon fiber weight loss diet).

The torsional change/ modified weight distribution is shared with the reinforced lift areas and "should" be more than adequate for my application. I have seen several of these lifts in action with similar weight loads and dimensions. So, fingers crossed. As always using something not as designed must be done with catastrophic failure and problems included in expectations.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #13
Almost There

Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Weight limits aside- Other than the potential to lift motor bikes in and out of a storage location, or lifting heavy item into the bus at time of build. What other benefits are lift gates?
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
Weight limits aside- Other than the potential to lift motor bikes in and out of a storage location, or lifting heavy item into the bus at time of build. What other benefits are lift gates?
I don't keep them ever. They rattle horribly and are one of the first things to go when I get one.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't keep them ever. They rattle horribly and are one of the first things to go when I get one.
I never thought I would use one but then I saw a bus I liked everything else about. So it got me thinking, if the bus I decide to get has one what to do with it. Once you remove the ramp do you find any added benefits to having the extra door?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I never thought I would use one but then I saw a bus I liked everything else about. So it got me thinking, if the bus I decide to get has one what to do with it. Once you remove the ramp do you find any added benefits to having the extra door?
Well- its a door, and the widest one on the bus.
Mines in the front, my last 2 were in the rear.

It really makes it feel airy in the bus when you're parked with that door open.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
The w/c lift was an integral part of our use for the bus. The rear 4 windows is a workshop for our racing endeavors as well as my 'garage' space when we ultimately downsize. When we go racing we load in a 6500w generator (on wheels), a welding cart, grill and 10x15 popup canopy into the back so the lift is used for that.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:

I've heard so many annoyingly loud rattling lifts in commuter buses that I've ridden. Luckily for me, mine doesn't, as long as I keep it pumped up to full-up; then is gets snug-tight! Even when it starts to loose pressure and get a bit loose, it's not so bad I would think.

I love my extra door, lets the fresh air in, and gets me closer to being outside. I'm thinking of setting up a retractable awning over just the wheelchair door and lift, perhaps with clear-plastic shower-curtain that can tack up there and hang around the sides, and then I can have a deck that I can sit outside on, and still be the same height as the bus' floor. When it rains, I can sit out there and be dry, and not be standing in a mud-puddle. Or if it rained all night but sunny in the morning, and everything is muddy outside, again, I have my deck to sit on, without tracking the mud in and out of the bus.

Reminds me of Roger Waters in The Wall concert. During the first set, stage-hands build a 20+ foot high wall between the audience and the band. In the middle of the second set, a hole opens up and Roger comes out on a platform, sitting in a chair and watching TV.

Tailgaters at games I hear haul their charcoal or gas grills in their bus, then roll them out onto the half-lowered lift so the grill is outside, but they can stay in the bus and tend to it. Or if the lot will allow, you can lower the grill down to the ground and cook in the space behind your bus.
Attached Thumbnails
0108201152a[1].jpg  
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #19
Almost There

Wow lots of great ideas! Thanks!!! Awesome "wall" pic Mountain gnome
Old 04-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

annnnd go!

Wow, it was just over a year but I finally jumped into the game.

Picked up a beautiful, rust free (no really, I really really looked everywhere) 40ft Thomas Saf-T-liner MVP ER. Has very clean, no leak, C7 with a Allison MD3060, Air brakes, air ride seat and the super cool Euro style mirror columns (which are remote adjustable, which was a cool surprise) even has a full undercarriage road coating which I was not expecting But was a cool bonus.

Enjoyed driving it from its lot in super south Cali, I could see the border fence from the lot. It is was a Clark County, NV bus with lockable pass thru storage built in. Old marine vet who runs the place was super knowledgable and honest to a fault.

Now to jump in and start my future home build.