Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
The issue of electricity

Hey all,

To those who haven't read my previous thread, tl;dr - In September I'll be flying to AZ, buy a bus there, and start converting it, while traveling across the country to NY.

In this plan though I have an issue, electricity. I've been reading a lot about electric systems, and eventually I plan to install a full off-grid system using solar panels, batteries, and all the bells and whistles. For the beginning, however, I will need to make do with something more basic, especially from the very beginning, so I can have some power for the tools I'll need to operate for the gutting and the basic conversion. I know a lot of people buy a bus and park in their home, using electricity from their home, but I don't have a home to park it near, and I'll be living in the bus full time from day one, so I need a quick system to work from day one. What do you guys think? From reading I think the simplest solution would be to get a propane generator for the first few days (store it on the bus later, I read that anyway it's a good to have item for power emergencies) and then try to be as quick as possible about installing batteries, connecting them to the inverter of the car, and maybe even one solar panel on the roof. Most things will be very makeshift at first, but as I move along with the conversion, especially by the time I'll be done with the gutting and start building the floor and walls, I can already build passageways for the wires inside the walls and make a more permanent system based on my design.

Is there an easier solution I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
Roni

Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
You say something about connecting the (house) batteries to the inverter of the car. Did you mean to say alternator?

I can't think of a more difficult way to build out a skoolie than by living in it at the same time. At least by building while on the move you won't end up keeping a lot of left over junk like lots of us do!
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
You say something about connecting the (house) batteries to the inverter of the car. Did you mean to say alternator?

I can't think of a more difficult way to build out a skoolie than by living in it at the same time. At least by building while on the move you won't end up keeping a lot of left over junk like lots of us do!
Jack
Yeah I meant to say alternator :P

I'm sure it's the most difficult way to do it, but it's pretty much the only option for me. I'll be fine. Once my mom bought an apartment and I was in charge of renovating it while living in it. I spent like 3 months living in ruins of broken walls and so much paint and dust. I distinctly remember when I had electricians dig through all the walls of the apartment, there was so much white dust everywhere that for a few days I had to use paper towels on door handles just to open them without getting covered in dust. So, all in all, I can rough it out if I need to, and I'll enjoy the experience of getting more and more comfortable as I progress with my conversion
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Hey all,

To those who haven't read my previous thread, tl;dr - In September I'll be flying to AZ, buy a bus there, and start converting it, while traveling across the country to NY.

In this plan though I have an issue, electricity. I've been reading a lot about electric systems, and eventually I plan to install a full off-grid system using solar panels, batteries, and all the bells and whistles. For the beginning, however, I will need to make do with something more basic, especially from the very beginning, so I can have some power for the tools I'll need to operate for the gutting and the basic conversion. I know a lot of people buy a bus and park in their home, using electricity from their home, but I don't have a home to park it near, and I'll be living in the bus full time from day one, so I need a quick system to work from day one. What do you guys think? From reading I think the simplest solution would be to get a propane generator for the first few days (store it on the bus later, I read that anyway it's a good to have item for power emergencies) and then try to be as quick as possible about installing batteries, connecting them to the inverter of the car, and maybe even one solar panel on the roof. Most things will be very makeshift at first, but as I move along with the conversion, especially by the time I'll be done with the gutting and start building the floor and walls, I can already build passageways for the wires inside the walls and make a more permanent system based on my design.

Is there an easier solution I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
Roni
We managed to build the whole bus off-grid, using a gas generator for power until we installed the batteries and inverter/charger (ours is a combined unit) then, finally, the solar system. I see no reason to attach anything to any alternator at all, you can just run everything from the generator. Even charge your batteries from the generator once you have the inverter and charger installed.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
When you connect your "house" batteries, you will probably want a battery isolator or a battery combiner. A battery isolator is relatively simple, it's just basically massive diodes that keep the starter battery from draining the house batteries, and vice versa. Think one-way check valves for electricity. An intelligent battery combiner works differently, but accomplishes the same goals.

I personally plan to use a Victron Cyrix-ct type intelligent battery combiner. I've been using one in my SUV to keep my start battery separate from my ham radio battery, and yet still have both charge from the alternator, and it has worked great. As a side benefit, when I have the 6A battery maintainer connected to the ham radio battery (think house battery in an RV scenario), it also keeps the starter battery topped up. An isolator wouldn't work the same way.

An isolator also has a voltage drop because that's how diodes work. The combiner does not seem to have that effect that I've noticed.

You've set yourself a tough challenge, living in it while converting it and traveling in it. You definitely will want a generator. Power tools are hungry beasts, and even with your alternator and solar charging your battery bank, you'll want to augment that, even if you have a massive battery bank ($$$$).

Unrelated to the electrical, or the discussion of the bus purchase, I ran across some advice somewhere recently that stuck in my mind, and I think you'd benefit from it as well. I suspect I read it in one of the many threads on this site. Basically, the advice is to get a basic membership at a chain gym that lets you use any of the facilities, and for something like $20-25/month you basically have access to shower facilities all over the country. Something to consider while traveling across the country in a bus with no or limited a/c, doing hard work converting it... you just might appreciate a cool shower on a hot day.

jim
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We managed to build the whole bus off-grid, using a gas generator for power until we installed the batteries and inverter/charger (ours is a combined unit) then, finally, the solar system. I see no reason to attach anything to any alternator at all, you can just run everything from the generator. Even charge your batteries from the generator once you have the inverter and charger installed.
Good to know! Why wouldn't you attach the alternator? Seems like it's free power I can get just from driving the bus around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1791-unleashed View Post
When you connect your "house" batteries, you will probably want a battery isolator or a battery combiner. A battery isolator is relatively simple, it's just basically massive diodes that keep the starter battery from draining the house batteries, and vice versa. Think one-way check valves for electricity. An intelligent battery combiner works differently, but accomplishes the same goals.

I personally plan to use a Victron Cyrix-ct type intelligent battery combiner. I've been using one in my SUV to keep my start battery separate from my ham radio battery, and yet still have both charge from the alternator, and it has worked great. As a side benefit, when I have the 6A battery maintainer connected to the ham radio battery (think house battery in an RV scenario), it also keeps the starter battery topped up. An isolator wouldn't work the same way.

An isolator also has a voltage drop because that's how diodes work. The combiner does not seem to have that effect that I've noticed.
So you're saying buy a combiner rather than an isolator? I'll look into it. I read about isolators, but I don't mind considering buying a more expensive piece of equipment if it's going to be a better long term investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1791-unleashed View Post
Unrelated to the electrical, or the discussion of the bus purchase, I ran across some advice somewhere recently that stuck in my mind, and I think you'd benefit from it as well. I suspect I read it in one of the many threads on this site. Basically, the advice is to get a basic membership at a chain gym that lets you use any of the facilities, and for something like $20-25/month you basically have access to shower facilities all over the country. Something to consider while traveling across the country in a bus with no or limited a/c, doing hard work converting it... you just might appreciate a cool shower on a hot day.
Yeah I ran across the same advice multiple times. I'll probably do it. I think I'll just rent an Airbnb in the area for the first 2 weeks, but it'll probably take me much longer to get to the point where I have water for a shower, so the gym membership solution might indeed be a life saver. Btw, I have no intention of buying a bus that doesn't have already built AC. That just seems like torture. But still, even with AC you get very sweaty working all day long so I'm sure I'll be happy for as many shower options as I can get