Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
The new guy

Hello people. of course you can tell I am new. you can also probably tell am not big on grammar. I'm more of a labor person than book or spelling. the teachers could not break me of that. Id say last 7-8 yrs. its always been on my mind to do a skoolie. Its just now looking like its closer to the possibility. A project with the family and hopefully good memories building and exploring with the wife and kiddos is behind the whole deal. So I am coming here for help. Not to have you pay for my way or do the work for me (Id rather do it my self). I don't know much of busses other than the obvious. And that is why I am here at the best forum on the net. Maybe some day I can repay the help.
So my first question.
The web is not giving me much info. When I called they more or less wanted me to be there and dangled enough info (the carrot) in front me so to say.

So what is your thoughts on a

2002 International AMTRAM conventional Trans: Unknown at this time.
PAX: 71
Miles: 139,110
Price: $3,500
The bus is in my state (OK) but came from IL if that plays in anything. The couple of pictures I did see it looks good. Its about 4hrs away from me so haven't physically seen it yet.

Thanks upfront for your time and info.

livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Greetings. I started like you knowing nothing, and have already come a long way. Keep reading threads here and you'll learn a TON. That being said, most people here still know about 1000x what I do.

Here's what I can tell you...

You'll want to find out what transmission it is before buying. If they can't tell you exactly which it is, perhaps they can get you the serial number from the spec panel. Use this site to look up the model from that: My Transmission

Also, be very careful about IL buses and rust. I would be nervous buying one without looking first. Are you able to check it out in advance or is this an auction?

Good luck!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Skoolie

Its at a bus dealer but no no auction. I can go look at it whenever and I will before I put any $ on it. I will keep the rust issue in mind and dig more into the trans. I have seen the Amtran talked about on here so I no its a comen bus. Never heard of the T444E engine though. When I looked it up on google it seamed to be a good engine something like 10yrs straight making. But I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has one any issues or issues with parts type thing. Thank you for your info.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Da engine is a very common engine and easy to repair.

The engine is made by either Ford or International. The hp is low but can be improved with a turbo from the Ford pickups. If necessary the engine is very easy to remove and replace or to work on. Most common failure is the lift pump or the injector connections. Good battery connections are very necessary. The glow plug system is not great, but works. I disconnected the glow plug relay and use start fluid to start the day.. After first start, glow plugs not needed. Start fluid saves the battery too. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

2002 was about the time AMTRANS changed from being owned largely by Navistar to becoming completely owned by Navistar. When Navistar purchased the balance of AMTRANS the name changed to IC Bus.

Anything you need on that bus can be purchased locally from NAPA, CARQUEST, or O'Reilly's.

The T444E is the 7.3L V-8 diesel used in light duty Ford trucks for many years. Many of the HP upgrades that work on Ford products can be used on the T444E.

While the T444E is a great engine it isn't a powerhouse, particularly in a 12-row bus. It is a superb engine for getting around town on route where the speeds don't go above 45 MPH. It wasn't designed or built to be a big powerhouse to move a full size bus at highway speed. So don't be surprised if the top speed is around 55 MPH. Some were geared to go in excess of 65 MPH and some were geared with a top speed of 47 MPH.

If the bus has no or very little rust and if I isn't all beat up it would make a great candidate for conversion.

The mileage seems a little low for a bus of that vintage but give it better value.

All things being equal, the price seems very reasonable.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks for the info. I like easy to work on for engines. I'm not a professional mechanic by no stretch. I can do the check fluids (maint) and little work. Over hauls and major engine work not my thing....willing to learn though.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
2002 was about the time AMTRANS changed from being owned largely by Navistar to becoming completely owned by Navistar. When Navistar purchased the balance of AMTRANS the name changed to IC Bus.

Anything you need on that bus can be purchased locally from NAPA, CARQUEST, or O'Reilly's.

The T444E is the 7.3L V-8 diesel used in light duty Ford trucks for many years. Many of the HP upgrades that work on Ford products can be used on the T444E.

While the T444E is a great engine it isn't a powerhouse, particularly in a 12-row bus. It is a superb engine for getting around town on route where the speeds don't go above 45 MPH. It wasn't designed or built to be a big powerhouse to move a full size bus at highway speed. So don't be surprised if the top speed is around 55 MPH. Some were geared to go in excess of 65 MPH and some were geared with a top speed of 47 MPH.

If the bus has no or very little rust and if I isn't all beat up it would make a great candidate for conversion.

The mileage seems a little low for a bus of that vintage but give it better value.

All things being equal, the price seems very reasonable.
Thank you for the info. Bummer the HP is low or not a power horse but I also like parts can be bought through local parts stores.

Also they sent more pictures to me of the frame. From the pictures it doesn't look too bad on rust. In all pictures I never saw any damage. Still waiting on specs for the trans. Prob get that tomorrow. And for sure no money until I am standing by it to inspect.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
Greetings. I started like you knowing nothing, and have already come a long way. Keep reading threads here and you'll learn a TON. That being said, most people here still know about 1000x what I do.

Here's what I can tell you...

You'll want to find out what transmission it is before buying. If they can't tell you exactly which it is, perhaps they can get you the serial number from the spec panel. Use this site to look up the model from that: My Transmission

Also, be very careful about IL buses and rust. I would be nervous buying one without looking first. Are you able to check it out in advance or is this an auction?

Good luck!
Ok so like I said I'm not up on the mechanical side of things but they have told me they think the transmission is an Allison: said the gear ratio is 5:57.They said they are still looking for a serial number and cannot guarantee its the same transmission it was in 2002. but they are looking.
they said the rear end is

Davis placer
19060s
190 wheel end

As for the rust they sent me more pictures of the frame and engine and from the pictures it looks only like surface rust. they are only open in the week and I have not ben able to get away from work so I still have not seen it my self.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

If it truly does have 5.57:1 rear gears it either won't go much faster than 50 MPH at wide open throttle or it has a newer electronically controlled Allison 2000 or 3000 series transmission with at least one gear that is overdrive.

If the bus is generally the size you want I would say go for it.

The availability and location near you makes the price very attractive.

Just make sure than any rust is superficial and not cancerous.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
If it truly does have 5.57:1 rear gears it either won't go much faster than 50 MPH at wide open throttle or it has a newer electronically controlled Allison 2000 or 3000 series transmission with at least one gear that is overdrive.

So I am gunna sound stupid now to some one but when you say...

won't go much faster than 50 MPH at wide open throttle or it has a newer electronically controlled Allison 2000 or 3000 series transmission with at least one gear that is overdrive.

Does that mean the newer electronically controlled Allison 2000 or 3000 series transmission with at least one gear that is overdrive. this version will do the 65 MPH or I just need it in my mind that 50 is going to max this guy out?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
t444E is a turbo charged electronic fuel injection. I have had very good luck with mine,
gbstewart
Old 02-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

The newer Allison 1000/2000/3000 series of automatic transmissions are all electronically controlled and have at least one overdrive gear.

With 5.57:1 gearing you should be able to cruise at 60-65 MPH while still having the ability to get up hills without losing too much speed.

If it isn't a newer electronically controlled automatic transmission it is most likely an AT540 or MT640 series of transmission that has four forward gears with the top gear direct drive.

Direct drive with 5.57:1 gearing is going to have a top speed of about 50 MPH.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:

So they gave me another update on the trans.

"This bus has an Allison 2000 series and the govner is set at 99. It also has a turbo."
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

It may have the governor set at 99 but I seriously doubt it can go that fast.

The Allison 2000 series is a good medium duty transmission with 5-forward gears with 5th an overdrive gear.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
It may have the governor set at 99 but I seriously doubt it can go that fast.

The Allison 2000 series is a good medium duty transmission with 5-forward gears with 5th an overdrive gear.
Well I can tell you that I'm not going to be the one that takes it to the 99 mark. I like that its a good med trans. Not after fancy or show off just do the job good. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping week or so go get it. The plan anyway
Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
t444E is a turbo charged electronic fuel injection. I have had very good luck with mine,
gbstewart
I have heard good and bad. Was told usually 150,00 was the life of one and start tanking just before. Any truth to this?
Thank you
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
I have heard good and bad. Was told usually 150,00 was the life of one and start tanking just before. Any truth to this?
Thank you
maybe, depends on how they are looked after, I know of 4 of them in my town that have over 400,000kms I have 226000kms on my mine, I replaced all 8 fuel injectors on mine last spring, really woke up the old girl.
There's lots of ford trucks that have 300,000kms on them.
gbstewart
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
Skoolie

[QUOTE=gbstewart;137513]maybe, depends on how they are looked after, I know of 4 of them in my town that have over 400,000kms I have 226000kms on my mine, I replaced all 8 fuel injectors on mine last spring, really woke up the old girl.

I do know this bus was a trade in (up grade) for the district. I was hoping that it was maintained good because of the cargo. We have been short handed at work so still haven't had a chance to get there to look at it my self. Hopefully this week treats me better.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
[QUOTE=livinthelife;137517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
maybe, depends on how they are looked after, I know of 4 of them in my town that have over 400,000kms I have 226000kms on my mine, I replaced all 8 fuel injectors on mine last spring, really woke up the old girl.

I do know this bus was a trade in (up grade) for the district. I was hoping that it was maintained good because of the cargo. We have been short handed at work so still haven't had a chance to get there to look at it my self. Hopefully this week treats me better.
If it's the same engine as the 7.3 turbo that's in my truck, then you will have a good engine I have 375000 right now..runs good but could use so injectors.

Just wondering where in Oklahoma do you live?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

300K miles in a school bus would be about the most one could expect out of that engine. They really start to get tired after about 285K miles.

At 150K miles, if the bus has had decent preventative maintenance there is no reason to not expect the engine to double those miles.

Of course along the way you will most likely need to replace injectors. For sure you will need to replace the glow plugs.

Those engines will start with as few as four working glow plugs. But any fewer and the engine just doesn't get enough heat up into the combustion chamber to get things going when the engine is stone cold.