Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Engine: Chevy 3500, 5.7L V8
Rated Cap: 14
The Pickle has landed!

My brother teaches at a school and had, for many years, been driving this green short bus, affectionately known as "The Pickle."

I used to joke that, should the school be done with it, we should buy and it convert it into a camper.

The school called our bluff and offered it at a "price you can't refuse" number. We had to decide if we were really going to go for this, and go for it, we did.

I roped in a brother-in-law who knows more about the mechanics of cars and trucks than my brother and I combined ten times over.

We took possession of the bus this past Friday and arranged to get it from the Boston area where we live, up to my BIL's home in Maine.

Now that we actually have it, we have to figure out what, exactly, we're going to do with it. Each of us have a chunk of kids and like camping, so we're working on plans that will both accommodate up to four kids and two adults while also being practical and comfortable. At the same time, no one wants to put too much money into it.

The prototypical mid-life crisis is the purchase of a red sports car. We went, instead, with a old, green, short bus. We went with The Pickle.

ThePickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

What year is that beautiful bus? There are a lot of possibilities for your bus, but your two most limiting factors that I can see, is the limited amount of space in that small bus, and what engine it has, which will determine how much fun stuff it can handle. The more details the merrier! Welcome to the community.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Year: 2000
Engine: Chevy 3500, 5.7L V8
Rated Cap: 14
It is a 2000 built on a Chevy 3500 express cutaway chassis with a 5.7L V8 engine, and the frame is rated to carry 9500 lbs.
ThePickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

total noob question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePickle View Post
It is a 2000 built on a Chevy 3500 express cutaway chassis with a 5.7L V8 engine, and the frame is rated to carry 9500 lbs.
Who is the maker of the body? I love the look of it and would like to explore to see if there are others of the same kind available for sale.
MrRiver is offline   Reply With Quote