Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach Series II
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6v92TA , Allison MT-643
The Start of our New Life

Hello! Just wanted to say hello to everyone after being a lurker for some months. My wife and i got the bug some time ago after her deciding she wanted to move into travel nursing as a profession which means we could live on the road. Went back and forth with 5th wheel, travel trailer or motorhome but like you all know the build quality didn't impress. Started seeing stuff about skoolies and eventually found the forum and have been dreaming ever since. I really like to do DIY stuff and build/fix stuff around the home all the time. Have built us a nice chicken coop, patio with pavers and raised beds. This will definitely stretch my abilities but i am up for a task plus my wife is all down for doing whatever.

We finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago on a 1990 Crown Supercoach Series II that is out in California. I got some quotes on shipping across the country to Virginia and it was almost more than the cost of the bus. So with no experience driving a school bus i will be flying out next week and driving this beautiful thing across the country! I haven't been this excited in forever. But i am also pretty damn nervous. The bus is in great shape and is getting inspected at diesel shop before i get there. It had an in frame rebuild on the Detroit Diesel 6v92 around 5,000 miles ago so that's all good.

I feel pretty lucky because the guy i am buying from is an amazing person and just loves these buses and does it as a hobby. He is going to spend some time with me when i get over there and show me some stuff. I plan on taking the trip pretty slow and hopefully getting it done in 4 days. Should be pretty fun and if nothing else i will probably know how to drive the bus after its all over.

I am just nervous about taking turns and obviously how the bus is going to fair especially it still being summer. I plan on staying at flying J's to cut down on costs while making the trip, i also plan on getting Good Sam Roadside Assistance before i leave. I already have insurance lined up which i was able to find through this forum! Thanks to the person who mentioned Ricky Burgess from Insures Virginia! Easy as pie.

If you guys have any advice it would be much appreciated! This is what life is all about if you ask me, creativity, exploration, adventure. What more could you want! Thanks for all the help so far and we are really looking forward to sharing our journey on this new chapter in life!
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (2).jpg   s-l1600 (3).jpg   s-l1600 (4).jpg   s-l1600 (5).jpg  

s-l1600.jpg  

herbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nice bus. Unfortunately most of the experience you will get on the way home will be holding the steering wheel on the freeway for days, only getting to turn and drive the thing when fueling 6-7 times. It's a shame you don't get to take the northern cross country route, much more beautiful. Turn wide into gas stations and avoid the light poles.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks marc! I am originally from Montana so i hear you on the Northern Route, at this point i just want to get the damn thing in my driveway. haha
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbali View Post
Thanks marc! I am originally from Montana so i hear you on the Northern Route, at this point i just want to get the damn thing in my driveway. haha
I hear ya. I bought mine in Butte and drove it to Seattle for a couple days before turning and heading back to Atl. Basically wide open because I just at that point wanted to get in the yard. Felt pretty confident in my buses abilities after putting 3k on it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Hello! Just wanted to say hello to everyone after being a lurker for some months. My wife and i got the bug some time ago after her deciding she wanted to move into travel nursing as a profession which means we could live on the road. Went back and forth with 5th wheel, travel trailer or motorhome but like you all know the build quality didn't impress. Started seeing stuff about skoolies and eventually found the forum and have been dreaming ever since. I really like to do DIY stuff and build/fix stuff around the home all the time. Have built us a nice chicken coop, patio with pavers and raised beds. This will definitely stretch my abilities but i am up for a task plus my wife is all down for doing whatever.

We finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago on a 1990 Crown Supercoach Series II that is out in California. I got some quotes on shipping across the country to Virginia and it was almost more than the cost of the bus. So with no experience driving a school bus i will be flying out next week and driving this beautiful thing across the country! I haven't been this excited in forever. But i am also pretty damn nervous. The bus is in great shape and is getting inspected at diesel shop before i get there. It had an in frame rebuild on the Detroit Diesel 6v92 around 5,000 miles ago so that's all good.

I feel pretty lucky because the guy i am buying from is an amazing person and just loves these buses and does it as a hobby. He is going to spend some time with me when i get over there and show me some stuff. I plan on taking the trip pretty slow and hopefully getting it done in 4 days. Should be pretty fun and if nothing else i will probably know how to drive the bus after its all over.

I am just nervous about taking turns and obviously how the bus is going to fair especially it still being summer. I plan on staying at flying J's to cut down on costs while making the trip, i also plan on getting Good Sam Roadside Assistance before i leave. I already have insurance lined up which i was able to find through this forum! Thanks to the person who mentioned Ricky Burgess from Insures Virginia! Easy as pie.

If you guys have any advice it would be much appreciated! This is what life is all about if you ask me, creativity, exploration, adventure. What more could you want! Thanks for all the help so far and we are really looking forward to sharing our journey on this new chapter in life!
Nice! Congrats and welcome to the Skoolie family!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I drove I-80 from portland to northern indiana then cut down through into ohio this past week..(in a 40 year old bus I never saw before then) if "pretty" is farms and mountains and desert and trees and farms and mountains and desert and trees then that northern route is "prettier"... I myself like cities and towns and trainbs and bikes and coffee and people....

nevertheless marc is right.. lots of steering wheel holding that I wouldnt trade for the world.. Love Bus-trekking across the USA!!

what a beautiful bus you got too..!! Love the crowns!!!!!! glad to see another one saved and not off to the EPA-force-scrap program..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
if your trip

brings you as far south as topeka kansas and this is even close to a stopping point. you would be welcome

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I will be running pretty far south of you on I-40 but thanks for the offer! Actually my route will be I-40 pretty much the whole way.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Good looking bus.
If the seats were out, I’d advise a hammock to sleep I ... I love mine and carry it on all trips. I don’t use it on my bus though, but you could strap to one window pillar and strap to another (at an 45° angle)
Just a thought
Old 08-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thats a really great idea, i love my hammock as well. I wonder if i could still figure out a way to make that work with the seats in? Probably not, but i haven't been on a bus in years. I was planning on bringing my sleeping bag and using the far back seats or back deck on top of the engine.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome and what a sleek looking rig you have. Hope you get well versed from the seller before heading out. It will have some peculiarities I imagine to get used to. it should run well on that trip so get it home in one piece.
Watch out for birds they hate Crown windshields...

John
Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Beautiful bus congratulations
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Got her home...

Finally got her home! There ended up being a few issues the first time i went out to California in August. The seller fixed them all up and i drove it home starting last Friday. What a drive! And no problems at all.

I can honestly say i have never drove anything as fun as this is. The wife and i are so excited to get started on the conversion! I will start a build thread and keep you guys updated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3661.jpg  
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Finally got her home! There ended up being a few issues the first time i went out to California in August. The seller fixed them all up and i drove it home starting last Friday. What a drive! And no problems at all.

I can honestly say i have never drove anything as fun as this is. The wife and i are so excited to get started on the conversion! I will start a build thread and keep you guys updated.
Those are amazing buses. Top of the line! You did good, and it always pays to start with a really killer bus like you got. No low spec east-coast stuff!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote