Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #1

There's new, really new and kinda older

Hey folks,

I am keenly interested in the bus life and the wife is more interested in the RV life. I keep telling her it's not the same vibe and from what I see definitely not the same type people involved with one or the other. Right to the point, I am 64 and active. However, I do not have 3 years to do a bus build, nor do I have the skills or the time to learn those skills in order to do a build on a rig that I would consider adequate. I am looking for someone local once I acquire "the" bus who can do the build from rip out to framing to wiring to plumbing, etc. I work full time, remotely and thankfully the wife is very handy on doing some aspects of the build but not the majority. I have been watching a ton of the videos the members have put out there, with the good, the bad and the ugly side of bus life and appreciate all aspects.
Has anyone gone to a local full service construction contractor to have them do the build for them? I would love to know what that experience was like. Thanks for taking the time to read this and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

RoninUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Welcome to skoolie.net, RoninUSA. Are you willing to do some of the easier stuff? What mods do you intend hire out - roof raise, deck, solar or more simple?

Often hit or miss, farming an entire skoolie build is similar to commissioning a classic car restoration or hotrod build. Large upfront investments with no guarantees of competency, timeliness, workmanship. THERE WILL BE cost overruns, surprise expenses, date extensions, etc. All trusted to a handyman without a license, or bonding, or insurance, or any government building inspections. Ergo, no safety assurances for you & the fam.

May be easier to find a completed bus (or hotrod) chock full of well installed, expensive components. Usually from someone who loved it passionately and will take huge losses. Most of us sell below cost, zero earnings for labor. A commissioned restomod is a sight unseen gamble. Well, not for the fella holding your bus, material & cash.

Consider looking at completed or near completed skoolies. You will be able to view the quality before you purchace. Often pro built. Many owner/builders (master craftsmen) do own a license, are bonded, have mutiple insurances, and work with gov't inspectors... with our bread & butter businesses.

My wife is always right. If yours is too, at least shop RVs. Or hear, "I told you so."
for-ev-er
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site.

Buying a converted bus is certainly easier than building one. Nothing you didn't already know.
Finding a well built unit that the builder didn't cut corners on is more difficult.

Checking out a builder before handing over your keys and $$ is one of the most important things to do if you want good results.
And that's still not guaranteed, but a good first step.

There is a recent thread on here, (Another "lone star skoolie"..), regarding an outfit in Texas that claim to be a skoolie conversion company. Check it out, if you haven't already.
Good luck and post pics if you get anything...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninUSA View Post
Has anyone gone to a local full service construction contractor to have them do the build for them?
I've worked in various aspects of construction a significant portion of my life. I don't think seeking a contractor is a good call. There's just too much about building out a vehicle that won't be familiar to the average contractor, or the people they'd hire. Better to find someone who's done a bus or three already, and also has relevant construction experience & expertise in their background.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I've worked in various aspects of construction a significant portion of my life. I don't think seeking a contractor is a good call. There's just too much about building out a vehicle that won't be familiar to the average contractor, or the people they'd hire. Better to find someone who's done a bus or three already, and also has relevant construction experience & expertise in their background.
Sorry to barge in on this thread but I recently bought a 2010 Chevy 3500 (gas) short bus. It was already gutted and insulated with solar on roof, grey water tank installed underneath, holes for lights cut and wired (seller gave me the lights so they just need to be installed/connected), propane connections installed but tank needs to be installed underneath. Seller gave me everything I need to plumb a sink. I am in the process of finding someone to install some finishing edges to the wood covering the insulation, a kitchen cabinet, a bed, a booth, a closet and hopefully a shower. What are the dangers I should be concerned with in hiring a contractor? I was thinking of hiring a carpenter to do the furnishings and then bringing in plumbing+electrics+propane expertise to finish up. I don't have a lot of money and all the bus/van builders in the bay area are too backed up to work on it. I'm hearing quotes for $80k-$100k and they can't even start over the summer. Thanks.
jaytay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytay777 View Post
What are the dangers I should be concerned with in hiring a contractor? I was thinking of hiring a carpenter to do the furnishings and then bringing in plumbing+electrics+propane expertise to finish up. I don't have a lot of money and all the bus/van builders in the bay area are too backed up to work on it. I'm hearing quotes for $80k-$100k and they can't even start over the summer. Thanks.
The danger is they don't know what they're doing when it comes to building a home inside a vehicle. Sure, a lot of what they do know is certainly applicable, but enough is not to make it a challenge they'd have to muddle through just like the rest of us do. That muddling time - that's your money.

Plus why would they bother? The housing market from coast to coast is on fire right now. Anyone worth a darn can pretty much pick & choose the jobs & pay. I'd suspect you'd have an incredibly hard time finding a contractor willing to take on the job, and if you did... the fact they didn't have better ways to spend their time might be a clue they should be approached with caution.

Just my .02.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
after may when my wife drives off in our second bus a 3500 chevy shortie.
i would say get to me i know i can do it for less than the prices you just quoted.
wish you were closer.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:17 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Deleted - waste of time.
jaytay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Unless they accept fun in place of cash money, I don't see how the price a general contractor ultimately charges you will be less than that of the average van conversion company. Assuming they're not hacks, both should have the resources available to do the job. The difference, however, is one builds vehicles for a living, and the other doesn't. Seems to me the one who does would have the ability to do the job more affordably, and likely more successfully.

If you don't mind me asking, what does 'getting lots of interest' mean? Have you reached out to one or more general contractors, resulting in them agreeing to take on the job? If so, what price did they quote you? What timeline?

Old 02-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Unless they accept fun in place of cash money, I don't see how the price a general contractor ultimately charges you will be less than that of the average van conversion company. Assuming they're not hacks, both should have the resources available to do the job. The difference, however, is one builds vehicles for a living, and the other doesn't. Seems to me the one who does would have the ability to do the job more affordably, and likely more successfully.

If you don't mind me asking, what does 'getting lots of interest' mean? Have you reached out to one or more general contractors, resulting in them agreeing to take on the job? If so, what price did they quote you? What timeline?
---------------
I concur, THB.

Contractor's who respond, "That sounds interesting..." are not interested. If they show up with a Notice of Commencement, get your checkbook.

Unfortunate reality? We have far too much work & not enough workers. Invoice totals are cimbing in response to rising material prices & wage increases, yet we still have to turn away eager builders almost daily. The reputable big spenders who pay ontime have plenty of contractors on-site.

Most of the builders here are having to pay for full OT & benefits, 7 day wks, 12 hr days. Florida is working full speed ahead.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2002
If you can draw blue prints for what you want,walls cabnets, how their built you could have contractors bid on it, as well as electric and plumbing. Youd be General contractor on job. It is much cheaper to buy someone else's bus inless they are selling because there are problems with how they built it. Also have to hope wiring was done safely, stranded wire not romex ETC.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
If you can draw blue prints for what you want,walls cabnets, how their built you could have contractors bid on it, as well as electric and plumbing. Youd be General contractor on job. It is much cheaper to buy someone else's bus inless they are selling because there are problems with how they built it. Also have to hope wiring was done safely, stranded wire not romex ETC.

thats just it.. to buy someone elses conversion you need to have knowledge of how things are done when done right so you can spot faults and detwermine if they are too big of a deal to fix after the sale..

if you go in with zero knowledge you cant spot something thats done wrong or that will bring issues shortly down the line after purchase.

same has always been true of buying classic cars.. theres lots of them out there that look beautiful when for sale only to find they are built on a house of cards that crumbles shortly after purchase
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I've always thought that I could hire out work and even all the work if I wanted. But I would hire a person who was only paid in cash on a daily or weekly basis. And there would be no contract per se. Just a contract that started on that day and ended when I handed him the cash. And then I would ask him back for something or I wouldn't.

Also I would handle the acquisition and payment of all supplies and materials.

That's how I did my most recent house renovation after having a bad experience with a more full service contractor
rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have a place to park your bus plus a second spot for another skoolie? You could find some one of us who is nearly done with their own build and still has all their tools and recent experience to come park at yours and work with you on your build in exchange for water and electric, and perhapse beer and barbeque. Or you could host a build party...
Winter-Vale is offline   Reply With Quote